Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Jun 14, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #11,686 of 13,846
Is there some reason to think that the Owensboro plant under GE ownership (as indicated by the "188-5") was producing two distinct 6SN7GTs in 1950 (as indicated by the "0-35") -- that is, a "GE" version and a "Ken-Rad" version?  I think that this is highly unlikely.

I have no facts but I agree: quite unlikely.

P.S. Go Iceland!

Jun 14, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #11,687 of 13,846
I have no facts but I agree: quite unlikely.

P.S. Go Iceland!

I think I read that when GE took over K-R they continued to use the K-R name on the tubes because of K-R's high reputation. This would suggest they were all essentially the same GE tubes.
Having said that, whatever the marking, the 'K-R' and GE tubes I've used from this period have all sounded pretty good. 

Jun 14, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #11,688 of 13,846
  I think I read that when GE took over K-R they continued to use the K-R name on the tubes because of K-R's high reputation. This would suggest they were all essentially the same GE tubes.
Having said that, whatever the marking, the 'K-R' and GE tubes I've used from this period have all sounded pretty good. 

I read another discussion on this where someone made the excellent point that when GE acquired the factory, the people there and their excellent craftsmanship would have remained, at least for while. I guess it takes time for cheaper materials, less skilled workers and corner-cutting manufacturing processes to infiltrate and have an effect in terms of quality. Quite how different materials/manufacture makes a difference to SQ is a big mystery to me though. 

Jun 14, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #11,689 of 13,846
I would like to take a moment of your time and thank those that sent condolences to me on my wife's passing, it was very considerate of you and I needed it as well, I wanted to post a little video that may help others facing the same situation, so thank you all.

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #11,690 of 13,846
  The Ken Rads are my favourite driver (so far, pending the arrival of the 1944 version) over speakers, but over headphones, I was probably equally happy with the EL3N and the stock tubes... they just had different characters. 

Thanks Rich for an unbiased EL3N opinion unlike some who says there's no treble or no air. 

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #11,691 of 13,846
  So my Elise arrived today 
atsmile.gif

Took 4 and a half weeks to dispatch and three working days to deliver. That was quicker than I had expected.
Here's the weird bit though. Just at the same time as the UPS delivery guy rang the front door bell, I was listening to Radio Classic FM  and they were playing Beethoven's 'Fur Elise' .
I thought that was pretty spooky!

Congrats Howie. It's just as well it's Fur Elise and not the "dit-dit-dit-dah" of Beethoven's 5th.

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #11,694 of 13,846
  I would like to take a moment of your time and thank those that sent condolences to me on my wife's passing, it was very considerate of you and I needed it as well, I wanted to post a little video that may help others facing the same situation, so thank you all.

Hey CF, really good to see your post. My thoughts were with you all this while. Take care champ and see you on board soon.

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #11,695 of 13,846
Ok there's a downside to owning Elise. I just came back from a general checkup report. Everything's good but Vitamin D is down. I've been listing to music with Elise too much and not getting enough sun !!!

So a change of lifestyle as I take Elise and Fido for daily walks now.

Jun 14, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #11,699 of 13,846
Perhaps if you need to hear more "air" you should try this.......our property was close to here

Jun 14, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #11,700 of 13,846

Saying it has no air is bias. Perhaps you choose your words wrongly.

I said it didn't have the air the 6sn7 have for me. I don't know how that is prejudiced in any way. Maybe we have different definitions of it. I don't care what people like, it is their choice.  I also was just saying I don't really hear much separation between instruments like I do with the 6n7 and other tubes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back