Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Jun 9, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #11,551 of 13,846
About the FDD20's, I've tried my pair multiple times paired with many different powers, and to me they always sounded too bright and lean in the lows, but especially an unbearable hummm and distortion at all reasonable levels. So I've just given up on those and well sell them when I get around to it.

About DT 880's, I tested the 32-ohm pair I used to own on the Elise and here were my notes:

Beyerdynamic DT-880 Vs. HD 650: DT-880 sound generally flat, non-engaging sound with forward treble & lows take a few steps back. Tonality seems slightly more lifelike however
Vs. HD-650: drums hit about 2x harder (good dynamics). Mids much more forward / lush, instrument separation 2-3x better, soundstage at least 50% bigger. Bass about 2x more full / authoritative.

I'll warn you the DT-880 is not a good pairing with the Elise, unless somehow the 600 ohm version changes everything

About UT's cell phone quest: I vote for the Samsung Edge. It's gotta be the most versatile phone brand in terms of open source / app compatibility

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #11,552 of 13,846
BTW I keep noticing myself on the right column - yup that's me under the arrow 
wink.gif

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #11,554 of 13,846
  @UntilThen: my vote is for Samsung, I still have my "old" Galaxy S5, works great and since you can open them up to change the memory card and battery I didn't get the free "upgrade" to S6 or 6Edge, but looking at the S7.

Ok keep the votes coming. 
biggrin.gif

I'm going from a S4.. so I'm even more outdated. Thinking of the S7 edge but wondering if there are covers that will fit the edge and still works. Saw a few nice covers, so that's looking good.

I'd like it to have nice quality photos from the camera and wouldn't hurt if it did play the odd Pink Floyd DSOTM.

This is one of the cover.

or

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #11,555 of 13,846
  About the FDD20's, I've tried my pair multiple times paired with many different powers, and to me they always sounded too bright and lean in the lows, but especially an unbearable hummm and distortion at all reasonable levels. So I've just given up on those and well sell them when I get around to it.

Sounds like you are running it at too low voltage! The FDD20 is NOT a 12V tube but 13V. AT 12V, I get distortion too. The hum is probably related to the quality of your 12V power supply. Regarding voltage vs dynamics: if you run it too low, dynamics will suffer. I can promise you my FDD20 with eg the stock Russian powers at slightly above 13V is everything but lean. Bright? Yes, there is ample treble energy, but with huge bass to match. Compared to this, the 5998+C3Gs combo pales, particuarly at the bottom end.

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #11,556 of 13,846
I have no problem running my FDD20 with 12V 6A laptop power supply. Sound is vibrant and bass is more than solid with 5998. Not a hint of hum. I use the same external power supply for FDD20 / ECC31. Mine has a 3 pin plug and I don't even need to run a separate ground wire.

I think there are quite a few of us using that 12V power supply with excellent results.

Some has just never been able to get this to work. Unfortunately they are afflicted with hum. Likewise for the 6N7G. Works really well with many of us.

If you find the FDD20 bright and lean, you've not had a chance to burn it in. It will open up with a nice texture and superb clarity. Bass is there too but not in the same dollop as the ECC31.

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #11,557 of 13,846

BTW DecentLevi: how is your Elise in combination with 6N7G?

As others have indicated some Elise amps seem to take everything without complaining, whilst others are finicky. My experiments with the FDD20 at least seem to indicate that all is not lost for the latter group. Furthermore: some may not necessarily have real problems, but that is not the same as saying that the tubes run at their best. An external lab power supply at least gives the opportunity to dial in one parameter: the heater voltage, and therewith the emission of the driver tube. I feel that for my Elise it could be just a bit on the low side for the 6N7G when fed with 6.0 V (the heater voltage in my Elise). 6.3 is the datasheet voltage. The higher you run it, the shorter the tube may live, but adding some 5% is considered to be harmless. So I intend to try voltages up to 6.6V. The FDD20 experiments I did show that adding 0.6V can make all the difference between high distortion at normal listening volumes and pristine clear sound. 

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #11,558 of 13,846
UntilThen: did you actually measure the voltage your adapter outputs? If it is a non-regulated power supply, you may get quite a bit higher voltage when the maximum amperage is not used. I have 12V adapters that output as much as 13,8V when run below their maximum A!

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #11,559 of 13,846
Not I did not measure. I'm not that technical. 
biggrin.gif
 I don't use it much now anyway. Find external power supply too troublesome. 

I can assure you they sound like they are running at their best, no doubt about it. LR love the sound when he heard it at my place. He's got his going too back home after much grounding that he had to do.

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #11,560 of 13,846
Sorry I don't have any 6N7 tubes

Well I'm trying to find better driver tubes to show the Elise in top flight at the Head Fi meet next month. But I'm on a no-income shoestring budget.
My chosen power tubes are still the 6BL7 with EL3N intermixed, and to pair well with it, I'd need drivers that are moderately bright, full, more solid-state like than 'colored', and good soundstage.
I don't suppose an externally heated combo would put it in a very good light as it's first appearance at a public trade show though.

Anyway maybe I'll give my FDD20's another shot if I can find an external P/S for not much over $30 and that works with minimal hum on only a 2-prong wall outlet... and as I take it, 13volts

Jun 9, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #11,561 of 13,846
Elise will sound splendid with a good pair of 6SN7 and 6AS7. That's what I'd suggest taking to the meet. Go with C3G and 5998 and you might get some interest. I'll bring EL3Ns to the next meet.

Jun 9, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #11,563 of 13,846
Nah, I think I'll display the Elise just like this for it's "bold entrance" into a public trade show. With this reference-grade Logitech headset from Walmart for the 'discerning audiophile'

... or maybe that setup is more suited for a freak show 
tongue.gif

Actually this has been my go-to setup lately. I think it looks beautiful and sounds sweet and stunning:

Most likely this will be my meet setup:

PS- I don't have the 5998 and gave away my C3G with adapter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back