Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
May 27, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #10,921 of 13,846
Wrapped some electrical tape around those adapters.  Still a bit of an eyesore but better than the white, IMO.

Yeah looks better.

I used black spaypaint and some maskingtape, looks more professional you just have to go slow and give it a few coats with hq spray.
The shrinkwrap black someone posted also looked quite ok.

Spraypain is also better for the quad or 6x adapters that are a real eyesore:wink:

Cheers
WB

May 27, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #10,922 of 13,846
I love how you guys are using vinyl as source, sonically superior to any digital DAC.

Well I am a huge fan of vinyl but this is too much of a blanket statement to let stand:wink: At least when you take it in regard to the typical measurres to evaluate sonic characteristics.

It all depends on the recording and file, and what vinyl/turntable you use and to what dac you are comparing. Lets say you have a dcs Debusy, MSB Diamond or Totaldac D2 tube , all the power conditioning before and an equivalent streamer that will be hard to beat unless you are going for Kronos, SME 30/2 or Techdas AF1, turntables when judging the "objective" neutral fideltiy quality. TOTL digital is getting pretty close to TOTL vinyl. But the analog feel is still better. If you want the best go tape Reel to Reel.

However for the experience of apreciating music vinyl is really hard to beat because of how involving the process is and often the recordings are much better too, plus there is just the analog chain and source. Its the same with the Elise, for me its (at least in private not professionally) about just experiencing the music and the Elise gives you all the feel, here vinyl is great as well:wink:. However I really, really like to let go when listening to music for longer periods of time so then a good dac with the Elise does the trick. Or when space is limited dac is nice. Seeing all the friends that have rooms just for the vinyl...

Cheers
WB

You kind of nailed it there WB,

It's preferences (and conveniance etc.) that decides what's best for you. SQ wise I think you may get pretty close each other if funds allowed. I first and foremost love the format, no fragile discs and something you may hold and behold when bought.

May 27, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #10,924 of 13,846
Hi WB2016,

Regarding a power supply, I use a PC power supply with a voltage regulator. There must be tons of power supplies available for computers for 230V. Glenn claims that they are not as clean sounding as better grade transformers, but I do not feel that I have a problem.

The one I use is 430W and puts out 15A at 12V. You may be able to get one for free from an older discarded computer; the 15A voltage regulator is around $13 or less. Just a suggestion - not elegant, but works very well. And when you want to try your stash of 12SN7 tubes you don't even need the voltage regulator.....

May 27, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #10,926 of 13,846
Speaking of Hammond...

Makes me think of Billy Preston and Booker T. Billy's below.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YlxxmNP2MKw

I really like this. I want to play like Billy.  
bigsmile_face.gif

May 27, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #10,928 of 13,846
Days of Future Passed The Moody Blues with The London Festival Orchestra... is the 2nd album by English rock band the 'Moody Blues'. This LP is by Deram Records 1967. Covers are aging but the LP is still pristine with nary a scratch. This is a fusion of pop composition and classical writing.

You've looked after this so well, CF.

May 27, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #10,929 of 13,846
One of my favorites, I also have the cd and it is not as engaging as the vinyl. Let those clocks ring out!

May 27, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #10,930 of 13,846
I've been comparing them for a couple days now, and overall I prefer the Sylvania 6SN7GTBs to the EL3Ns as drivers.  To me, the 6SN7s sound more forward, lifelike, and detailed.  Also had a chance to try some RCA 6AS7Gs, Tung sol 5998s, and overall prefer the slightly sweeter, smoother Mullard 6080s as power tubes.

Done tube rolling now.  It has been expensive.  Interesting that some of the least expensive tubes have been my favorites!

May 28, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #10,931 of 13,846
So, about a month ago I got a pair of 1626, AKA VT-137, AKA CV1755. This is a 12.6V single triode tube. It's been called a "poor man's 300B". In case you don't know, 300B is a very prestigious directly heated triode (Elise uses indirectly heated tubes). 300B is super expensive -- thought the GEC 6AS7G is expensive? You haven't seen a good Western Electric 300B. There's currently a pair for sale on Ebay for $6,000 USD. Yea...

Anyway, here's some pretty pictures of this 1626 tube.

I've finally found some time to make some adapters. Since these are single triodes and not double triodes, they have significantly less gain than most other tubes we run. 

Here they are running in my Elise.

I can confirm, there is sound. Will need some time to evaluate. I'm really liking the sub bass extension though. 

Edit: Also, I don't need the usual cord from the heater to the Elise RCA connection. No hum, what so ever. Any theories as to why? I need it with both FDD20 and my 6C33C. 

May 28, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #10,933 of 13,846
  anyone heard glenn amp as well?

@gibosi has one. not sure if he has an Elise.

I have the latest OTL amp built by Glenn but I haven't heard the Elise though.

May 28, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #10,935 of 13,846
I've had Elise for 7 months now and I'm still very happy with it. I'm almost using it everyday. Now with the addition of the turntable, I'm even more captivated. I must say I'm passed tube rolling now. I'll use a set of tubes for a week now before I make a change. 

I move the turntable and Elise to the lounge yesterday and it sounded very good with the speakers... and subwoofer. It has the subterranean reach to middle earth.  
L3000.gif

Cheers to all tube amp users. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back