Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
May 26, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #10,846 of 13,846

Have you heard it? Using as drivers with your stock power tubes? Gain should be equal or more than 6SN7. My volume dial tells me that.

Right now I'm using Mullard 6080s as power tubes.  The 6SN7 drivers had me listening at about 9 o'clock on the volume dial yesterday.  Switching to EL3N drivers today puts me a little past 10 o'clock for similar volume (from HD800S).  I haven't tested with a noise meter.  Just going by ear.  Maybe it's because my home is noisy right now.

May 26, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #10,847 of 13,846

Right now I'm using Mullard 6080s as power tubes.  The 6SN7 drivers had me listening at about 9 o'clock on the volume dial yesterday.  Switching to EL3N drivers today puts me a little past 10 o'clock for similar volume (from HD800S).  I haven't tested with a noise meter.  Just going by ear.  Maybe it's because my home is noisy right now.

Do an A/B, one after the other. Same song. When it's not noisy. 
bigsmile_face.gif

May 26, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #10,848 of 13,846

For whatever it is worth, with EL3N as drivers, Chatham 6AS7Gs as power, HD800S and volume on Tidal HD set at about 90% I'm usually at about 9 o'clock. Anything much beyond that would be pretty painful. I think it is about the same with most power tubes I use, although I've been staying pretty consistently with the Chathams lately and haven't had my Mullard 6080s in for a while. I'll let you know if I have a chance to try the 6080s later today. 

May 26, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #10,849 of 13,846

Can I make it more tempting? You have to travel to Perth to pick it up though. Seller won't post. 
biggrin.gif
 and @WB2016 it's in Aussie currency.

Is the mouse driver included in the price, or is he charging extra for that???

By the way, where is Perth???? 
floatsmile.png

May 26, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #10,850 of 13,846
Ok according to my 21st century Samsung Galaxy DB meter app
biggrin.gif
  - EL3N sounds louder ... to my ears as well. Same song 'Dreams' by Fleetwood Mac on Tidal Hifi and at 10am for both drivers using Beyer T1 using the same Chatham 6520 power tubes.

EL3N drivers
Min - 31 ; Avg - 41 ; Max - 68

Sylvania 6SN7GTB Chrome top drivers
Min - 34 ; Avg - 41 ; Max - 68

May 26, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #10,853 of 13,846
Uh huh, and film will surely come back, too...

Articles like this one, make everyone THINK vinyl is on a big come back:

http://fortune.com/2016/04/16/vinyl-sales-record-store-day/

But when you actually analyze the numbers, it's rather paltry in the overall picture.

The article above does clarify a bit with:

"To be clear, though, paid subscription services and Internet radio services, like Pandora, greatly exceeded LP and EP sales"

Better not sell your film cameras, anytime soon, WB...

tongue.gif

Yeah the numbers are relatively small, but it is one of the few markets that is growing. I have a few friends who are trying to have 180-200g LPs made and all the few good presses are booked and running at capacity. Wait times are far in excess of 6 months, if you want to use good German or Japanese presses. The best presses are almost all from the 70s and tun 24/7 to keep up with demand. But making good LPs is not that easy and quick as it is to make CDs and lets not even talk about streaming:wink: The other issue is having and restoring the original tapes and not the "what's the point" digital mastered lps. Its all a relative niche but a growing one. Also it is not numbers but the actual sales that is interesting, download one song or buy an albun, but lp has made a huge combeback and companies such as Project are real success stories.

And funny that you mention it I would never sell my film cameras, own a Contax 645, Leica M6 TTL, and a Hasselblatt 203FE, scan those at 12800dpi .

For the Blad that is a 74 mega pixel "analog texture" image that truely is diverse from digital. Although I agree if you don't have the camera and did a lot of photography the cost benefit ratio is not that good.

But it is somewhat similar to lps vs mp3s/downloads in music, it prevents you from just clicking through instead of really engaging with the image. You can still do it with digital as well, and I do/did that as well but there is just something in bringing it to celliloid that has something unique. If you are really committed to something imo film cameras are still the way to go, especially if you like to make poster size prints. The amount of time and money I spend to go to a nice location would be more than the price of a few rolls of film. But I am weird like that. I do have to admit that my photographing has suffered due to time constaints and have been doing it far too little.

Also I would not get rid of the film cameras because they are inherited and/or there is a big story/attachment there as well, so unfortunately I am really one of those nutters who will keep their film cameras. Funny thing really that you picked up on that.

Cheers
WB

Its a niche market that will likely not come back though

May 26, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #10,854 of 13,846
Well, I won't say it isn't tempting!!! The LP12 was a classic model and I think probably the first real high end table.  It has the Valhalla power supply which was a significant upgrade. The SME arm was also a classic, and I actually had the  Shure V15 MK3 cartridge. It was one of the best cartridges I ever owned. When Shure went on to the MK4 and 5, they lost the magic of the MK3, which was highly musical. Candidly, anyone wanting to push the envelope on vinyl should seriously consider that table.

I'm afraid though that my vinyl days are in the past, unless you know of a way to take the record out of its sleeve, put it on the table, apply the brush and lower the cartridge on to the outer grove with no more than 3 clicks of my mouse I'm going to have to pass ))))

Get a buttler:wink:

May 26, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #10,855 of 13,846
Can I make it more tempting? You have to travel to Perth to pick it up though. Seller won't post. 
biggrin.gif
 and @WB2016 it's in Aussie currency.

Yup so that is about 1400USD, not bad for a nicely restored classic combo you will be hard pressed to find something better for that price in that shape.

Going to Perth will of course mess up the value of that proposition for most of us:wink:
WB

May 26, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #10,856 of 13,846
  Ok according to my 21st century Samsung Galaxy DB meter app
biggrin.gif
  - EL3N sounds louder ... to my ears as well. Same song 'Dreams' by Fleetwood Mac on Tidal Hifi and at 10am for both drivers using Beyer T1 using the same Chatham 6520 power tubes.

EL3N drivers
Min - 31 ; Avg - 41 ; Max - 68

Sylvania 6SN7GTB Chrome top drivers
Min - 34 ; Avg - 41 ; Max - 68

Just checked mine, and they came out about the same as one another using pink noise:

May 26, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #10,860 of 13,846

This 1948 vinyl jukebox will make it easy for you no? 
bigsmile_face.gif

I still have several Wurlitzer jukeboxes at my parents house and was introduced to vinyl that way actually. Now refurbing a Wurlitzer and rebuilding it with audiophile setups and access to a UI with mouse could work. But having a butler is more classy, has additional benefits and would likely cost as much for a year than an audiophile jukebox built.

Cheers
WB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back