Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
May 20, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #10,576 of 13,846

I saw this in another thread:

Source: http://www.head-fi.org/t/410326/for-6as7g-tube-rollers-here/3510#post_12514342

Should I be concerned?  Could using the EL3Ns damage the amp over time?

Hi KP....glad to see you're delighted with your Elise - the sound can only get even better!!

As UT says, the EL3Ns have now been running in a good few amps for quite a while now - mine for many hundreds of hours - and nothing untoward whatsoever...so NO WORRIES!

As for the sound quality, once more I repeat the VAST MAJORITY of users agree with UT's (and my own!) findings. I am quite sure you will also be very pleased with them...unless you're extremely unlucky LOL!!
wink_face.gif
...ENJOY...and...HAPPY LISTENING!

May 20, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #10,587 of 13,846
LOL what about T1, is there a unanimous opinion about it?

Not unanimous. I sent my T1.1s back. Liked the Ethers better, but 99% of the people here really like them. They are a very good phone with the Elise, but I already had the Ethers
and I thought these woild be fantastic with all the endorsements on this thread. I was disappointed, and since I had better and more comfortable (IMO) phones, they were returned.

I was worried about the low impedence on the Ethers, but once I found my proper tubes, this became a moot point.

May 20, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #10,588 of 13,846
I feel a little sorry for newbies who are waiting for their Elises or contemplating a purchase. They see some pretty intense disagreement on this thread about tubes and headphones.

I can only go on my own personal experience. I've tried many different tube combinations and went through an intense comparison of the T1 Gen 2 with HD800S.

With the headphones, I kept the HD800S and returned the T1, but could easily live with either. I haven't heard the first generation of either headphone.

With tube combinations, my two favorite are EL3N drivers/5998 powers and the 6 X EL3N (2 drivers and 4 powers). The later is really my favorite. It is absolute magic and just seems to do everything right. I have had some problem with distortion, but with continuing burn-in the distortion has disappeared on most recordings. I am confident it will disappear completely, and in the meantime 6 X EL3N is my go to combination.

I should point out that I have a personal preference to avoid external power, primarily because I am so lazy I hate turning two different switches off and on every time I listen )))

I don't want to denigrate the experience of anyone else here whose experience may be at variance with mine. At the same time, I would be pretty confident in advising new owners that I don't think they will be disappointed if they end up where I am.

May 20, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #10,589 of 13,846
I'll be running the Elise with the Beyerdynamic T1.2, so will provide impressions but only once I have sorted out my music.

Btw got the shipping notification of the Elise :D :D :D

Whilst my Elise will have stock driver tubes, I opted for upgraded power tubes for dat bass :D

I can't recall the name of the power tubes but I'll keep you lot posted once it arrives...most likely early next week as it's being delivered to the UK

May 20, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #10,590 of 13,846
I am mainly love Elise because of the tube combination used. I love 6as7 and i love 6sn7. i never heard both tubes used together, but i believe the combination is just going to be great.

The closest amp topology i've heard and owned was tha-337 with 2x 6as7 and 2x 6sj7 which i love the sound very much.
I sold it because of the dual volume pot which drove me nuts after awhile.

Somehow so far i have preference for bigger tubes than the miniature ones.
At least in Ember, the different between ANY minis that i have and 6sn7 tubes is apparent, at least to me.
The differences are mainly in SOUNDSTAGE and frequency extension, high and low.
Perhaps i haven't really tried the best of the mini tubes, but with all tubes that i have, all 6sn7 kills all mini tubes easily (for my preference).
So hence, when i know that Eliae is using all big size tubes, i was excited and full of hopes.
Not many OTL amps out there are using all full size tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back