Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
May 18, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #10,531 of 13,846
  Trying to make progress to find my ultimate combo of tubes - too many possibilities...

What do they say Down Under - there is no substitute for kW (horsepower)?

Mordy we cannot give you too many tubes. You'll create a Megatron. :)

Enjoy and I'm sure it will sound massive but I don't want you to say, 'Honey I blew up the tube amp'. 
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #10,534 of 13,846
  I think the subject is far more complicated than you suggest. There is a lot of information about electrical shock from AC on the internet, including such scholarly papers as: http://bme.ccny.cuny.edu/faculty/mbikson/BiksonMSafeVoltageReview.pdf

This is not a question of which tube sounds better, and it certainly shouldn't be about a "gotcha" against a fellow thread member (the originator at that)

At the bottom of this site: http://www.medwelljournals.com/fulltext/?doi=ijepe.2010.177.181 it states:

"
Effects of an electric current passing through the vital parts of a human body depend on the duration, magnitude and frequency of this current. The most dangerous consequence of such an exposure is a heart condition known as ventricular fibrillation, resulting in immediate arrest of blood circulation. Humans are very vulnerable to the effects of electric current at frequencies of 50 or 60 Hz. Currents of approximately 0.1 A can be lethal."

I don't know if that site is right, but with all due respect I'll take their advice over yours.

The risk may be low, but to suggest someone intentionally subject themselves to 20 amps at a 50 or 60 Hz doesn't seem very responsible to me.

I'm not sure if the 'gotcha' was intended at me or not, if not just ignore this. Anyway, I wasn't trying to throw a gotcha at anybody, I just happened to stumble upon the video and thought it relevant. 

The problem is, the amount of current your body receives is not the same as the amount you read on your multimeter. Formula is very simple, this is basic high school stuff. Voltage = Resistance x Current. If you want to look it up it's called Ohm's law. Another way to put it is Current = Voltage / Resistance. You can touch a wire with 150A going through it without getting a shock at all -- you'll probably burn yourself as that wire would be super hot, but you wouldn't necessarily get a shock. People often say that it's the current that kills -- and this is true, BUT the amount of current depends entirely on the voltage. To calculate the amount of current, we need to now the voltage of the circuit and the resistance of a human. Human skin actually has a lot of resistance. Let's assume the worst, which is wet AND broken skin. The resistance under such circumstances could get as low as 1000 ohm. To produce 0.1A of you would need 100V.

100V/1000 Ohm = 0.1A. 

As you can see, the 6-12V we're playing with is in no way dangerous. This is an absolutely worst case scenario, and we still need a high voltage. 

Electricity isn't always dangerous. If you don't know anything about electricity at all though, sure, a good rule of thumb is to not play around with it too much. This is completely safe however.

May 18, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #10,536 of 13,846
Or I have to find a way to add tubes to the turntable. :D

Yes, look for the "Bellari vp130".

It's a Moving Magnet phono preamp, so can use with MM carts or High Output Moving Coil (HOMC) carts.

They have a good rep, and a devoted following.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sacat=0&LH_ItemCondition=4&_nkw=bellari+vp130&_trksid=m194&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSRCHX:SRCH

:p

May 18, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #10,537 of 13,846
On the electricity front...

Stun guns have a 9 volt DC battery in them, Through transformers, they boost the voltage to anywhere between 20,000 and 150,000 volts, but at the same time lower the amperage to a very low level.

Most folks live to tell the tale after being stun gunned...

Also consider the defibrillator that delivers an electric shock (of approx 1,000 volts) to restart your heart. Ever notice the emergency personal rub the two paddles together before they deliver the shock? Know why they do that? Because they have smeared a Jelly on one paddle, then rub both paddles together to smear the jelly on both paddles. It's the jelly next to the human skin that enables the full voltage to reach the heart.

The "Scholarly" page that pct referenced:
http://www.medwelljournals.com/fulltext/?doi=ijepe.2010.177.181
has a link to back up it's "knowledge" thusly:

http://www.highvoltageconnection.com/articles/ElectricShockQuestions.htm

Go there and you will see the page is 404 (not found). But the fact that he was quoting from "highvoltageconnection.com" would indicate that when he said:

"Effect of frequency: Humans are very vulnerable to the effects of electric current at frequencies of 50 or 60 Hz. Currents of approximately 0.1 A"

He was talking about very high voltages, not 12 or 6.3 volts of DC or AC.

The only irresponsible thing was to say 0.1 amp kills, without mentioning the voltage delivered at 0.1 amp via what medium and for what length of duration.

Must be much higher voltage than the stun gun uses....

Cheers to most of the LUCKY ONES!!!

:p

May 18, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #10,538 of 13,846
Hi UT,

What I am doing is using the same six EL3N that you use, but adding 2 6BL7 tubes. The total current draw is 8.4A of which 6.6A is provided by an external power supply capable of 15A.

Since I do not have a background in electronics, can you explain what the danger is of blowing up the amp using external power for the heaters?

May 18, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #10,539 of 13,846
Where did the idea come from to use EL3N tubes with Elise?  Just curious.

I've been looking all over for info about EL3N and haven't seen a whole lot of reviews / testimonies outside of this thread and a couple other sites.

May 18, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #10,540 of 13,846
Hi JV,
About your question: The 6 x adapter is powered externally, and I just plugged in the dual adapters into the end sockets on the 6 x adapter. As you can see, I found a way to squeeze in all six tubes on the 6 x adapter, without using the dual adapters, by spacing the EL3N further apart on it; there is not enough room placing them next to each other (the dual adapters have different spacing, and there 2 x EL3N fit side by side).

May 18, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #10,541 of 13,846
Hi KP,

I think that the whole thing started as a far off suggestion by UT, and then was taken up by hypnos1 who discovered how well they work as drivers in the Elise. Afterwards people saw pictures of amps on the internet using the EL3N as power tubes as well. I think UT asked a Chinese supplier to make the adapters and he pioneered using 6x EL3N in the Elise.

Hope I got the chain of events and the facts right - if not, please correct my impressions.

May 19, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #10,542 of 13,846
I'm impressed that you did the refurbishment yourself. Looks very good. :) A good condition Thorens still fetch a lot of money these days.

You have a skeletal looking headshell. Are those 2 small boxes your phono preamp? As a matter of interest what cartridge are you using?

You'll love it when you get Elise. It'll sound great.

Thank you ☺️ Yes, I do not know if Inprefer the SME headshell or this, the one I use atm is more rigid, less susceptible to vibrations. Yes, those are a Vincent PHO-08 phono stage and power supply. I am using a Ortofon OM40 Super, sounds really good. I have my eyes set on a Nagaoka MP-300/500 though. Won't be entering MC territory as I think MMs are better value when shopping in the $100-1000 area.

May 19, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #10,545 of 13,846
Thank you ☺️ Yes, I do not know if Inprefer the SME headshell or this, the one I use atm is more rigid, less susceptible to vibrations. Yes, those are a Vincent PHO-08 phono stage and power supply. I am using a Ortofon OM40 Super, sounds really good. I have my eyes set on a Nagaoka MP-300/500 though. Won't be entering MC territory as I think MMs are better value when shopping in the $100-1000 area.

The Vincent PHO-08 and Ortofon OM40 Super looks good from reviews I've read. There's a Vincent PHO-700 tube phono preamp.

Good choice. Your TT must sound good.

I visit this site often just to see other's turntable. :)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/549616/post-a-photograph-of-your-turntable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back