Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
May 17, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #10,516 of 13,846

Good choice. I have the same Sylvania 6SN7GTB Chrome top with green letterings. Very clear and sweet sounding. I bought from that same seller. His tubes are pristine and the packaging is 1st class.

Mullard 6080 are leaner, brighter, tighter tone and will complement your warm and lush RCA 6AS7G. 

Did you get your Elise with stock tubes?

Yes, I bought the Elise with stock tubes.  I thought it sounded great with the stock tubes as well, but the old stock Tung Sol 6SN7 and RCA 6AS7G were an improvement.

May 17, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #10,517 of 13,846

Yes, I bought the Elise with stock tubes.  I thought it sounded great with the stock tubes as well, but the old stock Tung Sol 6SN7 and RCA 6AS7G were an improvement.

That's a good progression. You're on a journey of discovery of the various tubes. Did you have a pair of EL3N? Try that later and tell me what you think.

May 18, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #10,518 of 13,846
Wth... I go from Sylvania 6SN7GTB to EL3N and I go WOW... 
biggrin.gif

That's how it is for me. When I'm listening with 6SN7, I'd be very happy with it but as soon as I switch to EL3N, I clearly know which I prefer.

Enjoy. With Elise you have a very engaging tone with whatever tubes you use. It's making my LPs come alive !!!

May 18, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #10,519 of 13,846
  Wth... I go from Sylvania 6SN7GTB to EL3N and I go WOW... 
biggrin.gif

That's how it is for me. When I'm listening with 6SN7, I'd be very happy with it but as soon as I switch to EL3N, I clearly know which I prefer.

Enjoy. With Elise you have a very engaging tone with whatever tubes you use. It's making my LPs come alive !!!

I'm going to stick with 6SN7, 6AS7G, and 6080 tubes.  They sound wow enough for me, and I need to draw the line somewhere so I don't blow a ton of money and time on tube rolling.  Also, I don't like the way adapters and such look 
smile.gif

May 18, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #10,520 of 13,846
Honestly, you lot... You know what you've gone and done, don't you? You gone and persuaded me to place an order for an Elise!
I keep telling myself to stop reading these forums but the truth is, I can't resist. Now just to try to forget about it for a couple of months....

May 18, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #10,521 of 13,846
The wait is not that bad.  Easy for me to say now that I have mine.  Call it a chance to get to know us, and find out things about the amp before it arrives.  I learned alot while waiting for mine.  Also made some new friends, makes life interesting to be sure.

May 18, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #10,522 of 13,846
Welcome @tonyl59  this is one thread you must read. 
biggrin.gif
 we're just having a ball here. 

As connieflyer says, you'll soon get to know the friendly mob here.

Congrats on placing your order. You won't regret it. Just ask @Kon Peki  and all the recent owners. 
L3000.gif

May 18, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #10,524 of 13,846
I'm sure you will be happy with the LP. Unfortunately, sometime during the late 50s, early 60s, RCA switched from its legendary "Shaded Dog" Living Stereo line to dynagroove and the quality was never the same, but still good.

I got rid of my 2500 LPs about 10 years ago mainly because I got lazy and old, but was into vinyl for over 30 years.  I think @UntilThen
 is buying up my old collection, one LP at a time ))))

No shame in that decision. But as the others have said, make sure that dac got tubes :sunglasses:

May 18, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #10,525 of 13,846
@pctazhp
  I'm looking out for your LPs with your signature on it. 

@oshipao
  I like your Thorens 160 super. Did you have it refurbished? Does it look like this? 

I have refurbished it myself. It has very few parts and easy to understand. Also, almost everything you need to know is floating around on the Internet.

Have changed mounting plate for the arm, rewired that (not me), mounted a ball bearing on the motor spindle, changed thrust plate for platter spindle, oiled all necessary parts, changed belt, adjusted the springs (this takes a while to get it right when new to it) and changed headshell ☺️ Great table for the money.

May 18, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #10,528 of 13,846
Trying to make progress to find my ultimate combo of tubes - too many possibilities...

What do they say Down Under - there is no substitute for kW (horsepower)?

So far (w/o proper burn-in) the 6 x EL3N is a tad too polite for me - need more punch in the bass (although it may appear by time). Anyhow, threw in some New Jersey spice into the mix; a pair of Tung Sol 6BL7 ( I am sure that you know that Tung Sol tubes were made in N.J).

Here is an aerial view:

IMG_0771.JPG

There is an added punch in the bass and sizzle at the top; the presentation is more vivid  - quite nice.  We'll see how this setup fares in the longer term. It should also be added that this combo is very quiet. I like it - the sound is very revealing.

May 18, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #10,529 of 13,846
Just played an extended drum solo with this new combo. It is the first time that the thought passed through my mind that I need to upgrade my speakers (perish the thought!!!!) because the Elise with these tubes is capable of more than my speakers can reproduce.

Drum solo starts at 2:00

May 18, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #10,530 of 13,846
I have refurbished it myself. It has very few parts and easy to understand. Also, almost everything you need to know is floating around on the Internet.

Have changed mounting plate for the arm, rewired that (not me), mounted a ball bearing on the motor spindle, changed thrust plate for platter spindle, oiled all necessary parts, changed belt, adjusted the springs (this takes a while to get it right when new to it) and changed headshell ☺️ Great table for the money.

I'm impressed that you did the refurbishment yourself. Looks very good. :) A good condition Thorens still fetch a lot of money these days.

You have a skeletal looking headshell. Are those 2 small boxes your phono preamp? As a matter of interest what cartridge are you using?

You'll love it when you get Elise. It'll sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back