Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Apr 25, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #9,736 of 13,846
  Did you get the WA-22 yet, there is one for sale here.....http://www.head-fi.org/t/800243/woo-audio-wa2-silver-tube-upgrades..looking to see what else is available.

Or this......http://www.head-fi.org/t/804135/for-sale-woo-audio-wa2

Not yet.  I purchased it this weekend from @a1uc here on the forums.  He was selling on Audiogon.  Should be here before the end of this week.

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #9,737 of 13,846
I thought it was for William Tell the opera, but then I understood it was most likely a modernized version of a William amplifier. Very retro but I guess modern.
http://dalmura.com.au/projects/Williamson.php

That is my guess. Also sounds a whole lot better than bob, the Bob amp... Still cannot stand bob, even in clearaudio the fat bob. Bob apart from not imparting stability e.g. bobbing in the UK "bob" is also five cents so not exactly conveying worth a lot of money.

Thought that would help.
WB

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #9,738 of 13,846
Yes we were rebuilding our website and email servers over the weekend. It's working again now.

Regards

Lukasz

Yeah that delayed everything a bit, new headphone stand, new website and a new amp. My Elise will ship in the next days (Invoice 46) so the wait for you should just about be over. I am toying with the idea of the stand to save on shipping, depending on the price.

The William amp looks interesting, its likely is a design similar to the old Williams amps of the 40s. Some things seem to be so retro they are great again.

Best speakers I heard were the Western Electric original 1930s, powered by 2 or 3 watts!!! at the High End in Munich at the Silbatone stand. Unheard of, what you design when the only amps were weak tube amps:wink:
And I heard my share of million dollar systems. Funny how things are. (The original WE 30s speakers will likely make a million GBP system but that is another story, there are only a handful left rebuilds are relativelly reasonable but will get you divorced if you bring it into the livingroom) Whoever goes to the High End don't miss the Silbatone stand!! Its quality varies but always shocking to hear something like that. Has to be heard.

Cheers
WB

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #9,739 of 13,846
You hit the nail on the head there UT.... As with every true hobby, audiophiles are on a never ending journey. Fortunately, there is also quality time with sonic bliss in between.

What about my journey? I took a brief vacation from head-fi to get to know Elise better before I report on my findings. I found out she really benefits from burn in. There is maybe 60 to 80 hours on it now and it (and/or the tubes...) has developed quite a lot. Right out of the box, I felt the lows and low-mids were a bit muddy, a bit slow. Given the sound signature of my Sennheiser HD 650's, that is not a good thing. But I am happy to report that that is gone now. The bass I get now has incredible power - no - SLAM - with speed. Early on, I did a lot of tube rolling looking for more speed in the lows - that was too early I know now. People that advised to first burn in the Elise with stock are right, I should have listened to them... Since a couple of days, I kept the C3Gs and 5998 in and gave it ample hours every day. I can't believe the extension and control I'm now getting on both ends of the spectrum. It's truly addictive....

Some other pairs I really really liked and will revisit soon:

EL3N with Visseaux 6N7G - the reversed combo is also great!

Fivre 6N7GT as powers with EL3N as drivers. In this position, the 6N7GT puts out more volume than the Visseaux 6N7G

By the way: as you can see in the pictures, the shrink tubing on the adapters doesn't move at all. And I like the look a lot more then the white marshmallows :) Of course, there are not that many hours on the tubes yet but I doubt that 'creep' will turn into a problem later on.

One let down: like others have reported, my amp does not like the combination of 6N7G as drivers with 6AS7G or 5998 tubes. I have several 6N7G types and none of them works for long without severe distortion. It's not the tubes. They do function well in the back (albeit with lower volume). They do work as drivers with EL3N in the back though. EL3N to the rescue! 6SN7 in the back also works. I couldn't try the combination with 6A6 in the back yet because one of my adapters is faulty. Mrs Xu Ling has kindly shipped another.

Summarizing the above in a warning: if you don't have your Elise yet, buy only one set of 6N7G and wait until you are sure your Elise likes them... If anyone has an educated guess why some (older?) Elise amps work with them and others (newer ones?) don't please let me know!

Another thing that doesn't work for me is C3G in the back. I get quite a lot of hum them. Nevermind. Still too many combo's to try.... And too many good combo's already to bother.

Finally a good solution for those white bases. Look pretty decent. Is it just regular heat shrink? What size did you get? Should order some as well. Know that is going to drive me nuts. Good idea.

Cheers
WB

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #9,740 of 13,846
Yes we were rebuilding our website and email servers over the weekend. It's working again now.

Regards

Lukasz

Yeah that delayed everything a bit, new headphone stand, new website and a new amp. My Elise will ship in the next days (Invoice 46) so the wait for you should just about be over. I am toying with the idea of the stand to save on shipping, depending on the price.

The William amp looks interesting, its likely is a design similar to the old Williams amps of the 40s. Some things seem to be so retro they are great again.

Best speakers I heard were the Western Electric original 1930s, powered by 2 or 3 watts!!! at the High End in Munich at the Silbatone stand. Unheard of, what you design when the only amps were weak tube amps:wink:

And I heard my share of million dollar systems. Funny how things are. (The original WE 30s speakers will likely make a million GBP system but that is another story, there are only a handful left rebuilds are relativelly reasonable but will get you divorced if you bring it into the livingroom) Whoever goes to the High End don't miss the Silbatone stand!! Its quality varies but always shocking to hear something like that. Has to be heard.

Cheers

WB

No actually the WE were 1926 I believe.

Regards
WB

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #9,741 of 13,846
Well if you want to hear the first hifispeaker ever buit, some history:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpcG7ceQz6U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAhaKcnfBig
Unfortunately the sound is only so so and does not capture the texture and dimensionality very well. Also the room is far too low, but still worth a ticket to Munich if they ever show it again. This is where everything started and fairly omnidirectional as well ah progress. Puts a smile on my face and glad the retro Williams amp made me remember this. Maybe someone else will also like the history of hifi. This is where it all started!!!

Ah and the budget version, maybe the first budget speakers in the world, not bad either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olFzozK9ric

A slightly better audio recording and much more living room friendly but massively limited by the room. Also they use one horn for highs and midhighs, none for mids and just one for mid-lows, but it will give you a bit of an idea, soundstage in reality is mindboggling on these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz9O2YIh228

If your significant other complains about your speakers tell them the first system is what you really want, that will stop all complaints right there:wink:

Cheers WB

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #9,742 of 13,846
Finally a good solution for those white bases. Look pretty decent. Is it just regular heat shrink? What size did you get? Should order some as well. Know that is going to drive me nuts. Good idea.

Cheers
WB

Hello there WB2016! My Elise no 45, so you were the one next in line.... Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do!

The shrink tubing I used is this one:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/161806635900?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Yes, it's regular tubing but really wide at 50mm. If you look at my earlier posts (just google Audict123 Elise shrink and you'll find them), there are instructions too...

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #9,743 of 13,846
Apr 25, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #9,745 of 13,846
Saw Black and White and thought you meant Roy Orbison's  Black and White nights DVD!

Apr 25, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #9,746 of 13,846
The Black and White album is perfect for the Black and White combo. 
beyersmile.png

With the B&W headphone. 
atsmile.gif

Apr 25, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #9,747 of 13,846
I have a couple of fdd20s with mrsx adaptors, and a power supply. They have never been used, and never will. I'm real happy with my combo im using. I have 10 el3ns.

Anyways,

I just bought a car. The first person that gives the year, make, model, and manufacture colour wins the tubes, adapters, and power supply.

I will post my first "hint" on Friday.

P.S. e
This is only open to " the lucky ones" and others that have an Elise on order. Im paying all shipping.

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #9,748 of 13,846
I understand, not alot of people want exteral heat anymore.
My EL3Ns took care of that, but I must say the fdd20 and ecc31 soundd pretty good.

BUT, ITS FREE,,,,,,

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #9,749 of 13,846
So on about the 20th day something special really seems to have happened with my Elise: It's like the heavens opened up and are shining down on me... or as if some alien magic juice has slipped into this relic of an amp while I was sleeping!!! No this is not sarcasm, but my attempt to use words to describe the sound I'm hearing now! Man am I looking forward to doing a face-off between a burned in Elise with TOTL tubes and the Zana Deux with it's standard tubes.

UT this is for you too

Oh and PS - look at who's just become a supremus
wink_face.gif

bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back