Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Jan 30, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #7,261 of 13,856
Quote:
mordy said:

Using 4 x 6BL7 = 6A, making for a total of 7.8A using 2 x EL3N. This seems to call for external heater power. It is not difficult to arrange. The question I have is if doubling the 6BL7 tubes will result in a big improvement in sound. For that matter, I could see asking Mrs Xuling to make an adapter strip with two octal pin bases on the bottom, and 6 octal sockets on top for 6 6BL7 tubes. The power leads could be built into the adapter, and the current draw would be 10.8A. This could be handled by a 12V 15A power supply and a 15A voltage regulator. However, I am not sure if this is enough since the tubes at start up draw much more current, and a 4A margin may not be enough. Anybody?

This entire strip adapter would fit across the Elise width-wise, maybe protruding a little bit on each side. Glenn makes an amp with six 6BL7 tubes and claims that this sound is better than any 6AS7 tube.

Looks like we have a winner here with just two 6BL7 tubes.....

Quote:
  If you get 2 adapters with three 6BL7s with the filament leads brought out then hook them in series 6.3 + 6.3 = 12.6 @ 4.5amps no voltage regulator needed
And a smaller 12 volt power supply. Also will have a lower start up inrush then six 6BL7s in parallel.

This should be very interesting. 
wink.gif

I'll be watching with interest how this unfolds.. both using 4 6BL7 and 6 6BL7 as power tubes.

I have a glimpse as I'm witnessing now with 2 EL3N as drivers and 4 EL3N as power tubes. It's nothing short of breathtaking. The realism is uncanny. Musical notes come alive. It will enslave you and turn you into a musical jukebox. Well kind of... 
bigsmile_face.gif

I spend a full day yesterday with Six EL3N and came away totally gobsmacked. Today I'm spending time with 2 EL3N as drivers and 2 6BL7 as power tubes. They sound good ... very good at this stage I would say. I have only less than 8 hours on it. I think 4 6BL7 as power tubes would be an interesting contest against 4 EL3N. If you're using 6 6BL7 as power tubes, be prepared for a blast off to space and not returning. So be very careful... 
gs1000.gif

You're quite safe to go with Six EL3N and 2xEL3N / 2x6BL7 now...this will be a thrilling sonic ride that you will be laughing uncontrollably. Don't worry about using 2xEL3N / 2xEL3N.... go straight for Starship Enterprise (that's what I call Six EL3N). 

In fact with Six EL3N, I don't think I need anything else.... but that's what I said a month ago.

Another pic of Starship in full flight veering slightly to the left as it negotiate a tight left turn. 

Jan 30, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #7,262 of 13,856
Anyone know the current draw for 6N23P and 6BQ7A? I think they are 0.3 and 0.4 respectively. Thought of using them as drivers with 4 6BL7 powers without external power supply.

I like the sound of these 2 as drivers.

Here's the 6N23P in action on Elise.

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #7,263 of 13,856
This is getting crazy. This sounds incredible. So if the heater current for 6N23P is 0.3, then I can use 4 6BL7 as powers and I'll be able to get an impression on 6BL7 vs EL3N as power tubes. 

Right now I can tell you this combo is making Dire Straits come alive and electrifying. I have no more descriptions. It's good !!!

Elise is colder than ice now. 
L3000.gif

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #7,264 of 13,856
While waiting for my Elise to arrive I decided to upgrade my DAC, currently a music streamer2.
I've looked at a couple under $1000 and found nothing that sounds as good except a music streamer2+. Then I started reading how usb based DACs are inferior to other forms but have no idea where to go from here. Can you guys point me to a thread for more information or am I wasting my time? What do you guys use? I realize this isn't a DAC thread but I trust the advise you all have given me regarding the Elise amp.

Thanks

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #7,265 of 13,856
While waiting for my Elise to arrive I decided to upgrade my DAC, currently a music streamer2.
I've looked at a couple under $1000 and found nothing that sounds as good except a music streamer2+. Then I started reading how usb based DACs are inferior to other forms but have no idea where to go from here. Can you guys point me to a thread for more information or am I wasting my time? What do you guys use? I realize this isn't a DAC thread but I trust the advise you all have given me regarding the Elise amp.

Thanks

There will be varying opinions here that's for sure but without spending an arm or a leg, just get yourself a Schitt Bifrost Multibit or NAD d1050 or Geek that LR has. I have heard the last 2 and they are good enough for me. Which is very good. 
wink_face.gif

I think TJ and PCT will tell you more about the multibit. AQ will sell you the Hegel. So the list goes on. Ah Vince has the Auralic. All good stuff. Toss a coin, you can't go wrong.

ps.. Jerick has a Yulong.

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #7,266 of 13,856
My (Taurus) auralic is an amp, the audio gd ref5 is the DAC :wink:.

If you are looking for a r2r under 1k, I've heard a lot of nice thing about the audio gd dac19 10th anniversary.
Otherwise the gustard x20 seems to be good as well.

E/ if you need an interface, the breeze du-u8 with talema is quite good, especially for the price.

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #7,267 of 13,856
My (Taurus) auralic is an amp, the audio gd ref5 is the DAC
wink.gif

If you are looking for a r2r under 1k, I've heard a lot of nice thing about the audio gd dac19 10th anniversary.

Ok I got confused there with what you've got.
wink.gif
 So another option ... audio gd dac19. @nojdrof your option list just got longer. 

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #7,268 of 13,856
Here we go. 6N23P with 6BL7. This is the combo I want to run with 4 6BL7 as power tubes without external power supply. If 6N23P is 0.3A then total current draw is 6.6A.

This sounds good too but 6N23P with 4 EL3N has better definition and greater impact. 4 6BL7 will make a difference I am quite sure.

Lots of room to wiggle here.

ps.. this sounds very good. 
wink.gif
 I'm quite won over by the 6BL7. Bass is solid and a very nice tone.

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #7,269 of 13,856
I know this is not a headphone thread and there are some pretty strongly held opinions here - pro and con. So I will try to make my comparison of the T1 and HD700s running on the EL3N/6BL7 combo fairly short and then get back to thinking about bulbs. This recording made it easy to hear the good and bad of each can:

With the T1 the highs are extended and crystal clear. The instruments are more precisely located in the sound stage and the mid-range clearer. BUT (and its a big BUT for me) the bass energy of is significantly lacking with the T1s. I have a strong emotional connection to the song with the 700s, which is lacking with the T1. The T1s certainly reveal the problem areas of the 700s, but I'm guessing I will be sending the T1s back in a few weeks.

I'm sure no one will be tempted by this post to try a pair of HD700s. Unfortunately, the reviewers and the marketplace have not been kind to these cans. But they have brought me a lot of musical enjoyment and probably will for the foreseeable future.

By the way, Tania treats us to one of the sexiest giggles ever recorded at 1:56 of this video.

And if you have 20 minutes to watch it, this is a fun video of what went in to the recording of this song, and a wonderful glimpse of the interplay between two highly talented singers:

Jan 30, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #7,270 of 13,856

Thanks

For under $1000, Shiit Gungnir Multibit used is an excellent option. Though I prefer VEGA to the gumby, there are plenty of happy users with the latter.

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #7,271 of 13,856

Thanks

nojdrof:  I'm running a Bifrost Multibit with my Elise and am very happy with the combination. The Bimby is $600 new with a 15 day trial period. The next Schiit step up in multibit DACs is the Gugnir at $1249. That is over your budget and I haven't heard it so I can't comment. The Schiit DACs are designed by Mike Moffett, who in the earlier days of digital designed the Theta 5 DAC. It was considered one of the great DACs of that time. I had one and loved it. So I felt pretty safe going with the Bimby. 

I don't know if it is your best choice, but I'm pretty sure you would not be disappointed with it, and you can try it for 15 days with a return privilege. Good luck.

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #7,272 of 13,856
  I know this is not a headphone thread and there are some pretty strongly held opinions here - pro and con. So I will try to make my comparison of the T1 and HD700s running on the EL3N/6BL7 combo fairly short and then get back to thinking about bulbs. This recording made it easy to hear the good and bad of each can:

With the T1 the highs are extended and crystal clear. The instruments are more precisely located in the sound stage and the mid-range clearer. BUT (and its a big BUT for me) the bass energy of is significantly lacking with the T1s. I have a strong emotional connection to the song with the 700s, which is lacking with the T1. The T1s certainly reveal the problem areas of the 700s, but I'm guessing I will be sending the T1s back in a few weeks.

I'm sure no one will be tempted by this post to try a pair of HD700s. Unfortunately, the reviewers and the marketplace have not been kind to these cans. But they have brought me a lot of musical enjoyment and probably will for the foreseeable future.

By the way, Tania treats us to one of the sexiest giggles ever recorded at 1:56 of this video.

And if you have 20 minutes to watch it, this is a fun video of what went in to the recording of this song, and a wonderful glimpse of the interplay between two highly talented singers:

Hi pct....shame the T1s don't seem to be doing it for you...yet... but boy, you must certainly love your bass, lol!
wink_face.gif
...I can feel mine in every bone of my body!!
biggrin.gif
(Actually, I'm beginning to believe that the pure silver + single-crystal copper wires I use in adapting my EL3Ns really do make quite a difference after all, lol!
wink.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
...not to mention the GEC/Osram powers!!...and the pure silver interconnects...who knows??!!
L3000.gif

I can only hope that perhaps the bass will develop in your T1s with further burn-in, but hey, there's plenty more fish in the sea, lol!...CHEERS!! 

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #7,273 of 13,856
There will be varying opinions here that's for sure but without spending an arm or a leg, just get yourself a Schitt Bifrost Multibit or NAD d1050 or Geek that LR has. I have heard the last 2 and they are good enough for me. Which is very good. :wink_face:

I think TJ and PCT will tell you more about the multibit. AQ will sell you the Hegel. So the list goes on. Ah Vince has the Auralic. All good stuff. Toss a coin, you can't go wrong.

ps.. Jerick has a Yulong.

Thanks guys I'm looking into everything you all use.

Jan 30, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #7,274 of 13,856

Hi pct....shame the T1s don't seem to be doing it for you...yet... but boy, you must certainly love your bass, lol!
wink_face.gif
...I can feel mine in every bone of my body!!
biggrin.gif
(Actually, I'm beginning to believe that the pure silver + single-crystal copper wires I use in adapting my EL3Ns really do make quite a difference after all, lol!
wink.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
...not to mention the GEC/Osram powers!!...and the pure silver interconnects...who knows??!!
L3000.gif

I can only hope that perhaps the bass will develop in your T1s with further burn-in, but hey, there's plenty more fish in the sea, lol!...CHEERS!! 

This journey we are on is so interesting. Your post led me to replace the power 6BL7s with my 5998s, leaving in the EL3Ns as drivers. All of the good things I described above for the T1s remained, BUT now with bass energy.

One of my favorite albums from the late 60s is the Bobby Gentry-Glen Campbell duet album. Bobby's haunting line of "But this time only two of us moved on" in the Elusive Dreams track is palpable.

For any Glen Campbell fans, the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour debuted on CBS on January 22, 1969. It was announced in September, 2015 that Glen had been taken home to die from the final stages of Alzheimer's. Glen lived in Phoenix for several years and frequently sang with (and was a strong supporter of) the Phoenix Symphony. He had some very difficult years. It is sad.

Probably few remember Bobby Gentry, but she obtained international fame with her enigmatic "Ode to Billie Joe"

Jan 30, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #7,275 of 13,856
  This journey we are on is so interesting. Your post led me to replace the power 6BL7s with my 5998s, leaving in the EL3Ns as drivers. All of the good things I described above for the T1s remained, BUT now with bass energy.

One of my favorite albums from the late 60s is the Bobby Gentry-Glen Campbell duet album. Bobby's haunting line of "But this time only two of us moved on" in the Elusive Dreams track is palpable.

For any Glen Campbell fans, the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour debuted on CBS on January 22, 1969. It was announced in September, 2015 that Glen had been taken home to die from the final stages of Alzheimer's. Glen lived in Phoenix for several years and frequently sang with (and was a strong supporter of) the Phoenix Symphony. He had some very difficult years. It is sad.

Probably few remember Bobby Gentry, but she obtained international fame with her enigmatic "Ode to Billie Joe"

Yes indeed, pct....I suppose this is what you could call a case of 'synergy' at work, lol!
wink_face.gif
...which does make this whole hobby of ours very interesting indeed....not to mention very confusing sometimes. Especially when what works for one doesn't for another!!
rolleyes.gif

And so the moral has to be : try as many different combinations as possible before final(?!) decision!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back