Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Dec 21, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #4,486 of 13,856
Any suggestions on the best inexpensive way to play a turntable through the Elise? I currently have a VPI Classic using a mm cartridge running through my Integra 40.1. Should I just get a phono preamp or stage?

Thanks

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #4,487 of 13,856
  There was a period when I was awed by Elise as preamp. Incredible details and soundstage suddenly from my Axis LS28 bookshelf speakers driven by 100 RMS watts per channel Sherwood Newcastle receiver.

However nothing beats using Elise as a dedicated headphone amp and listening through a pair of good headphone like the HE560. Headphone listening brings out the details, instrument separation and intimacy. Stereo speaker sound will never be this way. Just witness how popular head-fi has become now as hi-fi declines in popularity. It will take a very expensive hi-fi setup to get the sound I'm hearing with my head-fi setup now and that is not an idle boast.

Elise with FDD20 and 5998 is some serious sound, coupled with HE560 it's sonic heaven. I've never been smitten this way before. Not even with the amount I poured into the Dynaudio splits and Morel Ultimo car sound system. This is how good my Elise setup sounds now.

Hey UT, you beat me to it lol!...yet another result of using these EL3Ns - with my Beyer T1s, at least! - is that I too have finally come to the conclusion that I now much prefer listening this way, rather than through my (very good) Dynaudios. This is something I never, ever dreamt I would be saying...but there, I've said it!
wink.gif
. This sound is doing something to me way beyond anything I would have thought possible...could this be what real 'hi-end' sound is all about LOL? All I can say is that I have never been transported away to this degree in all the past 3 years of discovering the glory of tube amps...
L3000.gif
...I exaggerate not...
biggrin.gif
..(Christmas, for me, has indeed come early...as it hopefully will for a good few others...CHEERS! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #4,488 of 13,856
This is Sparta !!!!   We're on page 300. 
wink.gif

Yuppers Mordy I have a 5A voltage numerical random generator. My 12V 6A AC adapter (grounded !!!) is already working well. It will take a lot for me to get my spare IBM 16V 3.36A going with the voltage regulator now. Unless I like watching LED blinking.

JV, it doesn't take a lot to get vinyl going. Just wash it under the tap. Throw it a few times as frisbee to dry, Pop it in the kitchen chopping block, line up the needle and eureka, music !!! 
tongue.gif

H1, you're putting high-end audio out of business with this tube. I'm thinking about the EL3N... besides it sounding very good as you've discovered and all of us are dying to have a listen too... it's the colour !!! It came at Christmas time !!! EL3N is a Christmas tube for us. There'll be a lot of jingles and jungles. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #4,489 of 13,856
Any suggestions on the best inexpensive way to play a turntable through the Elise? I currently have a VPI Classic using a mm cartridge running through my Integra 40.1. Should I just get a phono preamp or stage?

Thanks

Yes, an RIAA cartridge preamp, then Elise and your good to go. This site has decent, inexpensive "all transistor" phono preamps:

http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc750pp.html

:p

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #4,492 of 13,856
  Hi nephilim,

Here are my experiences with hum in the Elise: As you say, it depends on the tubes. With any ST 6N7G, ECC31 and FDD20 I get hum. To check the hum, I turn off the music source and turn the volume up on the Elise, and then I listen to the noise through my integrated amp (all listening through speakers). At very loud listening levels there is a marked hum. For some strange reason the hum increases as I turn up the volume on the Elise, but near full volume it decreases, but does not go away.

So I leave my Elise on full volume, and adjust the playing volume through my integrated amp. At 50-60% volume I cannot hear any hum; after that the hum gets louder and louder. Luckily, I do not need more than 30-40% volume to get satisfying levels. Even playing a recording recorded at very low sound levels and turning up the volume to 70% does not let the hum through since it is masked by the music (OK- it is irritating to know that it is there but I cannot hear it unless I disconnect the music.)

All this is using speakers. Headphones are a different story. First of all, even with the 6BL7, turning the volume past 12 o'clock, it is too loud (most tubes only require 9-10 o'clock), so I cannot use the Elise volume knob turned up all the way up as I do with speakers. There is a pronounced hum through my headphones (Yamaha MT-220) at any listening level using the above listed ST tubes, and I cannot listen at all through the Elise using them.

Other tubes produce less hum, and the headphones are listenable.

The solution? My amp has a headphone output, and for some reason the hum is gone there - no problem. But the sound is not as satisfying as directly through the Elise.

Tried various grounding ideas - some made things worse and some slightly better. I have a grounded power supply for the FDD20. Connected a wire to the negative 12V output and connected it to the RCA negative side of the plug on the Elise - with a resulting whining sound. Strangely enough, just letting the wire hang there without being connected to something at the other end lowers the hum a little bit (!).

My room is a veritable snake pit of cables, wires and extension chords, usb hubs, portable phones, wi-fi router and fluorescent and LED lights. It is just too much work for me to go through all the stuff and try to sort out the culprit - I am happy enough with what I have.

Tried yesterday to connect the Elise to an unswitched AC output on my integrated amp. It says max 100W - hope the Elise doesn't draw more current. It is not grounded so I had to use a "cheater plug" converting grounded into ungrounded. It did lower the noise slightly, but I am afraid to use it....

In sum, I find that the hum is to a large extent tube dependent, and that I can find workable solutions around it that do not impact on my listening pleasure.

Hi mordy,

that sounds very familiar! Constant hum (including volume at zero) via headphones depending on tubes. In my case the 6BL7 has little but easily discernible hum, both 6N7G (Fivre & Mazda) are almost hurting my ears as in addition to the 50Hz hum there seems to be a lower (25Hz ?) component. The ECC31 are almost dead silent - I have to focus on the hum to hear it. C3g are a bit louder than 6BL7 but with the additional sub-frequency as the 6N7G. FDD20 are similar to C3g but a bit less bassy.

It's almost amusing that I am comparing hum instead of the sound of music :frowning2:

I tried cleaning the pins again... no effect.

I guess the only way is to visit Feliks - or return the amp. Two further checks in isolated areas (the infamous garden shed) and two different houses - then I have to decide. It cannot go on like this.

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #4,493 of 13,856
Hi nephilim,

I am able to live with the hum I have, happily, since I don't hear it listening through speakers. I have no doubt that the hum could be made to disappear, especially since so many people report that they don't have the problem.

Don't give up, be patient, and let me know when you find the solution to your ground loop or whatever it is.

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #4,494 of 13,856
I made a small step ahead. The fdd20 became almost silent except some slight hum in the right channel, which stayed there even after swapping driver and power tubes. I could remove that hum by touching the rca sockets. Then the amp was quiet. I still have to understand why the initial louder hum disappeared after a few hours. And why the hum is louder in the right channel (same situation with c3g)... Need some sleep now.

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #4,495 of 13,856
I made a small step ahead. The fdd20 became almost silent except some slight hum in the right channel, which stayed there even after swapping driver and power tubes. I could remove that hum by touching the rca sockets. Then the amp was quiet. I still have to understand why the initial louder hum disappeared after a few hours. And why the hum is louder in the right channel (same situation with c3g)... Need some sleep now.

Easy solution Neph, just buy a bratwurst and place it up against the RCA sockets.

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #4,496 of 13,856

I had a Philips Miniwatt FDD20 that hum in one channel when I first inserted it. It went away after I reseat it properly. In my case, it's the contact.

To date, I still have no hum on any of my tubes, from the weird ones to the normal ones. My Fivre and Mazda together with the Visseaix 6N7G are amongst my sweetest sounding tubes. I even prefer them to the ECC31. If I can blow fairy dust to cure you guys hum problems I will. Other than that you have to come and listen to my setup that is totally hum free and marvel at it.

What you have done there (in bold) is grounding it. That is something to work on.

On my Darkvoice 336se, my Raytheon 7N7 hum like a bird for a few days but I persisted with using it and it went away completely.

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #4,497 of 13,856
It's ground loop. Solve that and you'll be hum free. Change a different DAC and test it. 

I didn't do anything special. My DAC is not DOM (DAC of the month). It's just a humble NAD D1050 with a grounded 3pin plug that came factory direct. I use cheap USB cable and RCA interconnect and PC power cord. I use black and gold adapters from different sellers. My tubes comes from all corners of the globe, both used and NOS. I'm a novice in electronics. I just setup as per instructions. My setup is hum free.

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #4,498 of 13,856
QSold my Oppo HA-1 today. I placed an order on a tube dac. Takes 3-4 weeks to build. Made in Vancouver, Canada. The Hegel dac and Cavalli LC will go to my office . The new dac and Elise will be my home listener.

The dac is space tech labs DA-24/192 super

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #4,499 of 13,856
QSold my Oppo HA-1 today. I placed an order on a tube dac. Takes 3-4 weeks to build. Made in Vancouver, Canada. The Hegel dac and Cavalli LC will go to my office . The new dac and Elise will be my home listener.

Want to see my custom Made in China tube DAC? 

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #4,500 of 13,856

WOW!! Pretty exciting, aqsw!! Congrats!

Going for the black or silver?

http://www.thebestamp.com/DA_Converters_USB-DACs/DA-24_192-Super.php

:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back