Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Dec 20, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #4,471 of 13,856
Hi JV,

Just throwing in another suggestion for inexpensive very good speakers that you don't have to build yourselves:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

These speakers cost $129.00 shipped for a pair.

There is an earlier version called BS-21-LR that I have that also is available for even less.

These speakers get very good reviews in Stereophile and on Amazon as well.

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #4,473 of 13,856
I know this is off subject but I found this doing tube research and thought you guy's would get a kick out of this. I might have to cancel the order for my Elise and get one of these. :)

https://youtu.be/j20SItUNVy4

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #4,474 of 13,856

I know this is off subject but I found this doing tube research and thought you guy's would get a kick out of this. I might have to cancel the order for my Elise and get one of these. :)

https://youtu.be/j20SItUNVy4

If you believe that, you need to watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIFJLMyUwrg

.... and Obi Wan Kenobi has Elise.

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #4,475 of 13,856
Who would have thought of a name like 'Overnight Sensation' for a bedside speakers?

"Overnight Sensations"..

Meaning "popular, suddenly"...?

They are popular by me! Small cabinets, room filling sound (like Tube amps they DO need a long break-in period) they get better and better as they loosen up. More solid and deep bass, than you could imagine.

:p

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #4,476 of 13,856
Hi JV,

Just throwing in another suggestion for inexpensive very good speakers that you don't have to build yourselves:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

These speakers cost $129.00 shipped for a pair.

There is an earlier version called BS-21-LR that I have that also is available for even less.

These speakers get very good reviews in Stereophile and on Amazon as well.

Hello Mordy...

Yes, know about these! I have not heard them but bought a pair for a friend of mine, last Christmas, 2014. He was building a complicated 3 way system and was far from finished, sent him a pair of these to see if he liked.
He reported they sounded incredibly good. I have been tempted to buy them and compare to the Overnight Sensations.

These were also $89.00 shipped when I bought him the pair in 2014.

Do you have the SP-BS22-LR's, Mordy? I have been told the earlier 21's are not as good sounding as the 22's?

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #4,477 of 13,856
There was a period when I was awed by Elise as preamp. Incredible details and soundstage suddenly from my Axis LS28 bookshelf speakers driven by 100 RMS watts per channel Sherwood Newcastle receiver.

However nothing beats using Elise as a dedicated headphone amp and listening through a pair of good headphone like the HE560. Headphone listening brings out the details, instrument separation and intimacy. Stereo speaker sound will never be this way. Just witness how popular head-fi has become now as hi-fi declines in popularity. It will take a very expensive hi-fi setup to get the sound I'm hearing with my head-fi setup now and that is not an idle boast.

Elise with FDD20 and 5998 is some serious sound, coupled with HE560 it's sonic heaven. I've never been smitten this way before. Not even with the amount I poured into the Dynaudio splits and Morel Ultimo car sound system. This is how good my Elise setup sounds now.

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #4,478 of 13,856
There was a period when I was awed by Elise as preamp. Incredible details and soundstage suddenly from my Axis LS28 bookshelf speakers driven by 100 RMS watts per channel Sherwood Newcastle receiver.

However nothing beats using Elise as a dedicated headphone amp and listening through a pair of good headphone like the HE560. Headphone listening brings out the details, instrument separation and intimacy. Stereo speaker sound will never be this way. Just witness how popular head-fi has become now as hi-fi declines in popularity. It will take a very expensive hi-fi setup to get the sound I'm hearing with my head-fi setup now and that is not an idle boast.

Elise with FDD20 and 5998 is some serious sound, coupled with HE560 it's sonic heaven. I've never been smitten this way before. Not even with the amount I poured into the Dynaudio splits and Morel Ultimo car sound system. This is how good my Elise setup sounds now.

Hello UT...

Totally agree about Headphone listening, I never meant to indicate this mini speaker system was better, sonically, than headphone listening, from a purely audiophile type of enjoyment factor.

I am greatly enjoying the freedom of moving about/getting things done :)

Also...
Hi-Fi has declined, as "Home Theatre" has exploded, in popularity.

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #4,479 of 13,856
Also...
Hi-Fi has declined, as "Home Theatre" has exploded, in popularity.

Now that is as big a mistake as going from vinyl to CD. All the new gimmicks last for a short time. I remember when I first got my 3D Samsung TV. The family was engrossed for weeks watching 3D movies with 3D glasses. Now the glasses are untouched. Even the doggy doesn't want it. Likewise the iPod and iPhone craze. Remember how everyone queue up the night before for a new iPhone release? Incredible. All this hype.

Then they introduce Google glasses. LOL. What's next? Amidst all this, we've gone back to what was good...that is tube amp. Now that is the smartest move us homo sapiens have made.

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #4,480 of 13,856
I was happy when a parcel came today but all I got was this...

should I use this to light up the Christmas tree?

I have one on order too!

It should enable me to use any old AC adapter greater than 12V to get the 12.6V you want! I think it's an awesome gadget. I'm using an old HP laptop 19.2V adapter with this gem to get a nice 12V supply.

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #4,481 of 13,856
Now that is as big a mistake as going from vinyl to CD. All the new gimmicks last for a short time. I remember when I first got my 3D Samsung TV. The family was engrossed for weeks watching 3D movies with 3D glasses. Now the glasses are untouched. Even the doggy doesn't want it. Likewise the iPod and iPhone craze. Remember how everyone queue up the night before for a new iPhone release? Incredible. All this hype.

Then they introduce Google glasses. LOL. What's next? Amidst all this, we've gone back to what was good...that is tube amp. Now that is the smartest move us homo sapiens have made.

We never went for the 3D TV deal. And I was delighted when Google Glass failed in the marketplace!

I don't consider going from Vinyl to CD a "mistake". It takes great care and patience and knowledge to get the most out of Vinyl. Most folks don't wanna...so CD brought "audiophile quality" to the masses. New generations of DAC's have made the CD medium even more viable, in my opinion.

I do still love my (3) 160 Gig iPod's - all bought used from folks who were dumping them for the iPod Touch (because it connected to the internet).

But yeah, lots of hype is right. And Social Media helps to hype stuff.

When I tell people I love audio via Tubes made in 1943...they BELLY LAUGH...especially young folks. Who have no idea, and assume a "miniature digital amp" MUST be FAR FAR better.

And so it goes ...

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #4,482 of 13,856
I have one on order too!

It should enable me to use any old AC adapter greater than 12V to get the 12.6V you want! I think it's an awesome gadget. I'm using an old HP laptop 19.2V adapter with this gem to get a nice 12V supply.

I have one - also hooked up to a grounded 19.2 volt computer supply and yes, you can dial in 12.6 easily and exactly.

It's a really great gadget!!! I love mine!!

Think Mordy pointed us to these :)

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #4,485 of 13,856
Hi JV,

I have the earlier 21 model. However, all my listening is done through three Polk speakers; two Monitor 50 and a 50W self powered subwoofer SW10. These speakers cost $80 each and sound very good.

Personally I cannot get used to headphone listening for long periods, and I feel that the sound stage isn't as good as with speakers. Compared to my headphones (Yamaha MT-220) I hear more detail with my speakers.

HI UT,

I assume you got a 5A voltage converter. It is important to know that when the tubes start up, the current draw can approach triple the rated current draw,  so calculate the amp ratings accordingly.

Credit for finding these inexpensive wonders goes to Gibosi on the Little Dot thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back