And I hope mine arrive before I visit you LOL

It is with orange markings, the seller says it is super rare 
eek.gif

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #4,367 of 13,856
  Haha exactly, I jumped on the stash like everyone else :D

And I hope mine arrive before I visit you LOL

It is with orange markings, the seller says it is super rare 
eek.gif

Yes I saw that tube with orange markings. Good price and test well. If you check eBay history of 5998 sold, they always fetch a high price, especially those in pairs.

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #4,368 of 13,856

Yes I saw that tube with orange markings. Good price and test well. If you check eBay history of 5998 sold, they always fetch a high price, especially those in pairs.

Thanks man, you know I have learnt a lot over here about the tubes :D I know how to buy tubes now at least LOL

I am grateful I have never paid very high price for tubes :) Thanks to you and other fellow members...

Last night, in anger and desperation I broke the ECC31 adapter while trying to open it LOL What a crap, I put adapters in and the Elise starts humming, I put the default Russian driver tubes and it is DEAD silent.

What a party pooper these adapters have been for me :/ I will return the PC PS today and most probably get a very high end LPS for my DAC, that has 2 x 12V outputs, I will put the heater on that grounded LPS. If it still hums, I am going to break everything and go back to SS LOL

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #4,369 of 13,856
If you see my setup, I have no special LPS. This is what I bought for 12V and works like a charm. No need for a separate ground wire. No hum, no noise.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221815437071?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Also both sets of my ECC31 to 6SN7 adapters works without hum / noise. They are from 2 sellers, Suzier and Mrs. XuLing. 
wink.gif

@Lord Raven can you link me the site where you bought the ECC31 adapters? Just checking to see that you bought the right one.

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #4,370 of 13,856
  If you see my setup, I have no special LPS. This is what I bought for 12V and works like a charm. No need for a separate ground wire. No hum, no noise.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221815437071?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Also both sets of my ECC31 to 6SN7 adapters works without hum / noise. They are from 2 sellers, Suzier and Mrs. XuLing. 
wink.gif

Actually my DAC 12V adapter is very cheap looking, I don't think it is good enough, it does not even have a ground pin. This is the reason I wanted to upgrade to a decent LPS. The LPS I am getting has 2 x 12V ports, this will help power up the heaters of FDD20s as well.

I am not sure if this is a good idea to power up DAC and heaters from same LPS.

FDD20 current draw is 700mA for a pair and Geek DAC is using 650~950mA, the LPS can output 2A. What do you think, is it a good idea?

I don't want to add another PS along with DAC's PS. I just want a single unit doing it all basically.

Well, you have been quite lucky then. Suzier adapters hummed from day one, he is sending a pair as replacement. Mrs-X adapters also have a faint hum, when I touch the Elise, or the ground of RCA or ground of the PC PS, the hum totally disappears. When how do I keep one hand on Elise and listen to the music? LOL 

I just bought the ECC31 and EL3N adapters from Mrs-X and really hope that they won't hum at all.

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #4,371 of 13,856
You lost me there. Why do you need 12V to power your Geek DAC? Does it not use AC?

It's not luck. I have more than 10 pairs of adapters and none of them hum. There is a possibility of the adapters being faulty but I haven't encountered one.

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #4,372 of 13,856
  You lost me there. Why do you need 12V to power your Geek DAC? Does it not use AC?

It's not luck. I have more than 10 pairs of adapters and none of them hum. There is a possibility of the adapters being faulty but I haven't encountered one.

It has an external PS, 12V adapter, which is 2 pins only.

I have been unlucky, I have given up on Suzier like everyone else did. Betting on Mrs-X now. She is sending 4 more adapters, I hope they are as good as yours :)

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #4,373 of 13,856
You can't be twice unlucky with adapters unless you kick a cat so I have high hopes for your new incoming adapters. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Guess the NAD D1050 is a simpler affair. I just plug the 3 pin power plug into the AC socket. No external power supply needed. Told you to get a NAD. 
bigsmile_face.gif

So are you getting one of this LPS4 from LH Labs? $899? 
blink.gif

http://www.audiostream.com/content/lh-labs-geek-pulse-xfi-linear-power-supply-4-lps4#Sb1o5xiVYhPzkqy1.97

The reviewer thinks highly of the LPS4. Maybe that's what you need but the price for the bundle lol.

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #4,374 of 13,856
  You can't be twice unlucky with adapters unless you kick a cat so I have high hopes for your new incoming adapters. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Guess the NAD D1050 is a simpler affair. I just plug the 3 pin power plug into the AC socket. No external power supply needed. Told you to get a NAD. 
bigsmile_face.gif

So are you getting one of this LPS4 from LH Labs? $899? 
blink.gif

http://www.audiostream.com/content/lh-labs-geek-pulse-xfi-linear-power-supply-4-lps4#Sb1o5xiVYhPzkqy1.97

I wish I get lucky this time :) Golden adapters are good, well built from the looks. EL3N is a gamble LOL

LOL you were right but I wanted something with Femto Clocks and Dual Mono DAC IC chips hehe

I am getting this Jays Audio LPS, read about it, the specs are really good. What do you say?

http://alvinchc.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/jays-audio-linear-power-supply-lps25va.html

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #4,376 of 13,856
Is it time to buy Mrs X's EL3N adapters?

I thought she would hold off until UT tested...since they are pentodes, and not double triode tubes?

wink.gif

Dunno all these brave hearts are going ahead and obviously Mrs. X feels confident about putting it up for sale. Well if she follows exactly H1's specs, they should be fine but who knows. 
biggrin.gif

Detail instructions were given to her on which pins to connect.

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #4,377 of 13,856
  I wish I get lucky this time :) Golden adapters are good, well built from the looks. EL3N is a gamble LOL

LOL you were right but I wanted something with Femto Clocks and Dual Mono DAC IC chips hehe

I am getting this Jays Audio LPS, read about it, the specs are really good. What do you say?

http://alvinchc.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/jays-audio-linear-power-supply-lps25va.html

Can't tell you anything about LPS. I have never use one but that price is much cheaper than LH Lab LPS4.

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #4,378 of 13,856
Dunno all these brave hearts are going ahead and obviously Mrs. X feels confident about putting it up for sale. Well if she follows exactly H1's specs, they should be fine but who knows. :D
Detail instructions were given to her on which pins to connect.

Right....I think I will wait and oder after its determined that they work correctly. Her ad said 10 sold already...that 5 pairs...

So, hope they work correctly....

Will she also make be making C3G adapters?

:p

Dec 19, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #4,379 of 13,856
Nojdrof, you have ordered Elise. :wink:  Congrats. 

Did you want to learn more about tubes or did you want to find out which are the tubes to get for Elise?
I'd like to learn more about how they work and why changing them makes the amp sound different. If it's just as simple as buying different tubes suggested in this thread and trying them great but I thought there might be a tubes for beginners thread somewhere on head-fi.org. I looked and didn't find anything. And I don't want to bug you guys with stupid questions :)

Thanks guys

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #4,380 of 13,856
  Well make sense because "Viennese radio work" (Wirag) is in Vienna, Austria. The Philips radio tubes Ges. MbH, Vienna, a subsidiary of the Dutch Philips Corporation, first took over 1936 radio stations Horny, changed its name to those in "Wiener Radio Werke AG" (Wirag) and bought 1939 the Schrack plant at the Abbegasse.

Ok I got it from here....
https://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeiss-Werk_Wien&prev=search

Better grab yourself another pair of EL3N. They are going fast. 3 pairs of EL3Ns is enough for me. Have to share it with other Elise owners. Besides I have 5 FDD20 and countless 6N7G and 6A6 and 3 ECC31. Edit:- Maybe I should get another 3 pairs lol.

Philips Miniwatt FDD20 with Tung Sol 5998 is making me intoxicated now. Happy listening everyone. 
beerchug.gif

P/S: I mean have you tried Pete's tubes?

Pss: On Joybringers aka Visseaux 6N7G now. These are crazy good too. I'm way intoxicated with good sound now. 
tongue.gif

Psss: 
wink.gif
 Agreed. There's nothing I need to change on Elise. Sounds too good with all these tubes now. Far exceeded my expectations.

Just got 'em, UT...not taking any chances, lol!!
wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif

Not had chance to adapt Peter's tubes yet, but my very first one was in fact exactly the same tube...same codes, same pristine box. And sounds magical...as you may have already gathered!!
wink.gif
...so be prepared...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back