Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Dec 18, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #4,351 of 13,856
H1 every time you do such a review, I buy another pair of EL3N. I'm up to 3 pairs now !!!

It better sound as you described or I'll have to hang them on my Akubra hat.

Oh btw have you tried the new EL3N? Have to make sure they are the real thing. :)

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #4,353 of 13,856
  Hi O and @UntilThen...codes on the tubes read : MS12 and A3L....??

Alright let me guess this and Oskari can correct me.

MS12 - MS is a 2 symbol type code for EL3N
see http://frank.pocnet.net/other/Philips/PhilipsCodeListAB.pdf ...page 8 

• LL  ECH11     MR EL2
  • LM  ECH21    MS EL3N 

who knows what 12 is .. anybody's guess !!!

Now A3L...
(again refer to the Philips Code List above)

A is Factory symbol
  • A  Wiener Radio Werke “WIRAG”, Wien
  • B  Mullard, BlackburnC  Hendon Works, Alberton, Australia
  • D  Valvo, Hamburg

3 is year ... so my guess is 1943 or 1953

L is month ... "Old" code - Sep ; "New" code - Dec

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #4,355 of 13,856
THIS has become the Elise tube rolling thread, and I'm sure the fellow members would love to give you their current top 5 list of combinations.

The last couple dozen+ pages has just about everything you need to know - seriously check it 
L3000.gif

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #4,356 of 13,856
Hey guys I waiting for my Elise amp so this is a great time for me to try to understand more about tubes. Can you point me to a thread that explains tubes?

Nojdrof, you have ordered Elise. 
wink.gif
 Congrats. 

Did you want to learn more about tubes or did you want to find out which are the tubes to get for Elise?

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #4,357 of 13,856
@DecentLevi you'll be very happy with 2 FDD20 and Tung Sol 5998. Unfortunately 5998 are rarer than white elephants now.

Actually in your case with HD650, you're better off with 2 FDD20 and Mullard 6080. Langrex has some now for sale.

I'm listening to FDD20 and 5998 with HE560 now. It's a ear blast. Timbre is perfect. If EL3N is better than this, I'd be really really surprised. You hear that @hypnos1 ? I would be really surprised. 
wink.gif

Only the Fivre 6N7G brown base comes close. Those brownies have earn themselves brownie points.

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #4,358 of 13,856
For those looking for good power tubes for Elise, try and get a pair of Tung Sol 5998 or Chatham 6AS7G or 6520 but like I say they are very rare now and expensive.

So this is next best alternative. Below ....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6080-CV2984-MULLARD-NOS-BOXED-VALVE-TUBE-/311154206725?hash=item48723c6805:g:7rkAAOSwF1dUUiu7

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #4,360 of 13,856
  According to your older notes, GE 6AS7GA and Chatham 6AS7G are both good alternatives to the rare Tung Sol 5998

GE 6AS7GA are a good and cheap alternative. $22 a pair. Works great with my fav drivers and HD650 but I much much prefer the Chatham or Mullard CV2984. Certainly have the GE as well. Different tone and texture. Good contrast. Depends on which wine you're drinking whilst listening. 
wink.gif

Tung Sol 5998 certainly sounds different from the others. It's not just tone, pitch and gain but a whole lot more. Many have remark on the bass. That is prominent but once you get over that bass love, you'll certainly find other aspects just as lovely. Vocals are rich and euphonic. I didn't try GEC 6AS7G and WE 421A ...yet. Those are more expensive and rarer than white panthers. Ever seen a white panther?

GBP 130 for one new untested GEC 6AS7G. 
blink.gif

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GEC-BOXED-VINTAGE-6AS7G-VALVE-/221953814340?hash=item33ad7a6f44:g:tIoAAOSwv-NWWiNt

There you go...a lifetime supply of 16 Chatham 5998 at a cheap US$995. Come to think of it, that's a very good price.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SET-OF-16-PIECES-6520-5998-CHATHAM-POWER-TRIODES-VINTAGE-USA-TUBES-6AS7-421A-/301782858560?hash=item4643a8fb40:g:SwMAAOSwBahVQbsO

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #4,361 of 13,856
H1 every time you do such a review, I buy another pair of EL3N. I'm up to 3 pairs now !!!

It better sound as you described or I'll have to hang them on my Akubra hat.

Oh btw have you tried the new EL3N? Have to make sure they are the real thing. :)

3 pairs now?...my deepest, sincerest apologies for misleading you, UT....they are in fact even better than I have described, lol!!
wink_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
...better go get another 3 pairs!
biggrin.gif

(If they aren't as I described, methinks it is I who shall be hanging by them!
eek.gif
frown.gif
darthsmile.gif

I'm afraid I shan't be trying the Tungsram 'EL3' after all...on closer inspection I'm not at all happy with the quality (as opposed to condition) of this particular tube. It looks positively crude, compared to the Philips 'Red Series' tubes. I know one shouldn't really be influenced too much by appearance, but I must admit all the tubes that I personally have found to excel have looked good from the off, and made something inside me go :  oooohhhhh! There has always been an aural 'smell' about them that just hits the spot, and brings a warm glow. This Tungsram in the flesh - I wasn't really too happy with its photo, to be honest - has me going : yeuch!, and leaves me cold as ice...shan't even be wasting my time (and silver wire!) on this thing, alas. The RTF tube's photo does however look far more promising, so just hope the 'smell' is right when it arrives. If not, I'll just put it down to tube roller's 'joy'...no point taking chances when the 'Reds' are so magnificent, lol!...(Which reminds me - I'd better get ordering another pair, before you snaffle them all!!
wink.gif
...).

ps. @DecentLevi is right...we are indeed now mostly a tube-rolling thread! But as we have already confirmed many times the true pedigree of this amp - plus no sensible option of modding inside, lol! - all that is left for further elevation of Elise (MK1) is via our latest tube finds! And given the now vast choice of tubes at our disposal, the sound can be tailored to whatever preferences one has...without the need to change a single component inside this marvel of a machine. Even when the 2 year warranty is expired, I now have no desire whatsoever to open her up...I shall leave well alone, lol!
L3000.gif

HAPPY LISTENING EVERYONE!     
beerchug.gif

Edit..ps. The MS12s have "Made in Holland" on them...???

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #4,362 of 13,856

3 pairs now?...my deepest, sincerest apologies for misleading you, UT....they are in fact even better than I have described, lol!!
wink_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
...better go get another 3 pairs!
biggrin.gif

(If they aren't as I described, methinks it is I who shall be hanging by them!
eek.gif
frown.gif
darthsmile.gif

I'm afraid I shan't be trying the Tungsram 'EL3' after all...on closer inspection I'm not at all happy with the quality (as opposed to condition) of this particular tube. It looks positively crude, compared to the Philips 'Red Series' tubes. I know one shouldn't really be influenced too much by appearance, but I must admit all the tubes that I personally have found to excel have looked good from the off, and made something inside me go :  oooohhhhh! There has always been an aural 'smell' about them that just hits the spot, and brings a warm glow. This Tungsram in the flesh - I wasn't really too happy with its photo, to be honest - has me going : yeuch!, and leaves me cold as ice...shan't even be wasting my time (and silver wire!) on this thing, alas. The RTF tube's photo does however look far more promising, so just hope the 'smell' is right when it arrives. If not, I'll just put it down to tube roller's 'joy'...no point taking chances when the 'Reds' are so magnificent, lol!...(Which reminds me - I'd better get ordering another pair, before you snaffle them all!!
wink.gif
...).

ps. @DecentLevi is right...we are indeed now mostly a tube-rolling thread! But as we have already confirmed many times the true pedigree of this amp - plus no sensible option of modding inside, lol! - all that is left for further elevation of Elise (MK1) is via our latest tube finds! And given the now vast choice of tubes at our disposal, the sound can be tailored to whatever preferences one has...without the need to change a single component inside this marvel of a machine. Even when the 2 year warranty is expired, I now have no desire whatsoever to open her up...I shall leave well alone, lol!
L3000.gif

HAPPY LISTENING EVERYONE!     
beerchug.gif

Edit..ps. The MS12s have "Made in Holland" on them...???

Well make sense because "Viennese radio work" (Wirag) is in Vienna, Austria. The Philips radio tubes Ges. MbH, Vienna, a subsidiary of the Dutch Philips Corporation, first took over 1936 radio stations Horny, changed its name to those in "Wiener Radio Werke AG" (Wirag) and bought 1939 the Schrack plant at the Abbegasse.

Ok I got it from here....
https://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeiss-Werk_Wien&prev=search

Better grab yourself another pair of EL3N. They are going fast. 3 pairs of EL3Ns is enough for me. Have to share it with other Elise owners. Besides I have 5 FDD20 and countless 6N7G and 6A6 and 3 ECC31. Edit:- Maybe I should get another 3 pairs lol.

Philips Miniwatt FDD20 with Tung Sol 5998 is making me intoxicated now. Happy listening everyone. 
beerchug.gif

P/S: I mean have you tried Pete's tubes?

Pss: On Joybringers aka Visseaux 6N7G now. These are crazy good too. I'm way intoxicated with good sound now. 
tongue.gif

Psss: 
wink.gif
 Agreed. There's nothing I need to change on Elise. Sounds too good with all these tubes now. Far exceeded my expectations.

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #4,363 of 13,856
Revise scoring - 19th Dec 2015:-

Drivers
FDD2011
FIVRE 6N7G BROWN BASE11
FDD20 / ECC3111
MAZDA 6N7G9.8
VISSEAUX 6N7G9.8
FIVRE 6N7G9.8
ECC319.8
VISSEAUX 6A69.8
FIVRE 6A69.8
C3G9.65

Recommended power tubes
Tung Sol 5998
Chatham 6520
Chatham 6AS7G
Mullard 6080 / CV2984
GE 6AS7GA

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #4,364 of 13,856
Just finished buying 4 x more tubes, and you guessed it right. EL3N tubes are coming :)

Also, bought the adapters, couldn't wait for the testing to be over LOL

I think I would go beyond the heaven this time :D

Edit: I just won a Tung Sol 5998 tube in an auction! *YEAH*

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #4,365 of 13,856
4 pairs of EL3N? Rascal 
biggrin.gif

I'm hoping my EL3N and adapters arrived next week before Christmas.

Which Tung Sol 5998 did you get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back