Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Nov 3, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #1,218 of 13,846
  For your info, you bought those from me so I know that.  I also had to adjust those adapters to make them work. Not a problem for me and Hypnos1 was kind enough to help. I do not want or need any last or first words but, I will defend my case.

Fact is I was going to buy from H1 but you approach me because you have just bought your ECC31. So all's fair. I did get the C3G and adapters that originated from Hypnos1.

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #1,219 of 13,846

Fact is I was going to buy from H1 but you approach me because you have just bought your ECC31. So all's fair. I did get the C3G and adapters that originated from Hypnos1.

Fact is I had some trouble with those adapters as well. So why couldn't Shaffer have experienced some too? And if he did isn't he allowed to report this on the thread or, anywhere else for that matter?

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #1,220 of 13,846
There are many others who have bought those adapters from Hypnos1 and I have never heard them say there's any issues. I'll let them chime in.

Remember H1 did this as a special favour to all. He was not profiteering from it. Now he's not even wanting to do it anymore. Who can blame him with all these being said.

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #1,221 of 13,846
  There are many others who have bought those adapters from Hypnos1 and I have never heard them say there's any issues. I'll let them chime in.

Even if they never had any issues, at least I did any Shaffer too probably. Not trying to bash Hypnos1 or his adapters but this is what happened. I just never felt the need to mention it until now. You can ask Hypnos1 about it, he can attest to this.

Don't worry I stand behind the adapters you received, I personally re-soldered all connections and checked them with both an oscilloscope and multimeter as well as under a microscope. All the connections are very sturdy and I'm sure you will be able to enjoy these for many years.

Again, i'm not disappointed in the adaptors, ever since the fix they have worked very well. I know things like this can happen, certainly with home-made products built to order and I don't blame Hypnos1 for it.

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #1,222 of 13,846
Alright let's move on. I like to share on 6A6.
bigsmile_face.gif

First a picture and no hum on those National Union 6A6 with those gigantic adapters from China.

I have to say I'm very impressed with Elise. None of my NOS tubes hum at all.

These sound similar to my Philco 6N7G. Again it's too early. Give me another few hours at least for it to open up.

Nov 3, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #1,223 of 13,846
Hi all,

I am loving the 6A6 and the white ceramic adapters, the latter is very well made no wonder they are expensive at $38 a pair.

However this is offset by the relatively cheap 6A6 tubes. These National Union 6A6 sounds very good. At $15 a pair for nearly new used but tested strong, they are a steal.

I don't have much info on the 6A6. Hoping someone might provide more technical feedback.

Says this on the seller site:-

2 National Union 6A6 Vacuum Tubes
1940’s Vintage Audio Power Twin Triodes

and a bit more info

The 6A6 is a twin triode class B amplifier tube and its electrical characteristics are the same as the 6N7.  It is a 6-volt version of the 53. Many 1930’s radios used this tube type for audio output. Plate dissipation is rated at 5.5 watts.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #1,224 of 13,846
Part II of how to adapt the Ebay FDD20->12SN7 adapter for use in the Elise:

Part I of this is located here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/782754/feliks-audio-elise-new-thread/1125#post_12045520

This one will cover getting the grey paint off and wiring up the 12v adapter to 12 volts DC:

Here is the FDD20 with the Grey Paint that the MFG applied (pretty blue tinged glass underneath):​

Just use regular steel wool pad (very slightly moistened) and remove the grey paint (comes off easy, 3 minutes, max):​

Now you have your "pretty" FDD20 ready to go into the adapter we worked on previously:​

Any old 2 conductor wire will do, to fetch 12 volts of DC electricity to our FDD20 heaters. Here, a piece of wire, w/stripped ends:​

Twist the bare wire ends tight and push up and into the holes we drilled to access the voltage pins in the adapter (if you didn't drill holes you can go in over the top and "waterfall" down onto the needed pins with the bare wire ends.:

This is what we want on the inside of the adapter, the two bared, twisted wires to lay upon the two pins that bring juice to the FDD20 heaters to make the tube "glow". Positive and negative do not matter here, which side they are on, but you don't want the two wires to touch each other (you probably won't be electrocuted if they do):

JUST KIDDING - YOU WON'T BE ELECTROCUTED :)

At this point, I use an emery board and brighten up the outer edges of the FDD20 base connector pins (this is where it makes contact with the adapter pins):

Now, when you insert the FDD20 tube into it's socket, the pins that connect to where our 12v wires are, hold the wires in place. Nothing fancier than this is needed. The FDD20 only fits in the socket one way. There are 4 pins spaced closer together, the middle two are the "12v in" pins (they sit above where octal pins 7 and 8 were before we sawed them off).

The FDD20 fits TIGHT in it's base, I see why they liked this base for aeroplane radio sets (FDD20's original duty)

Now were ready to insert the whole rig into the Elise 6SN7 socket...red polish marks the guide pin. All I did for this 2nd FDD20 was tie into the 12v I had coming in to the 1st FDD20. Just twisted the bared ends of the 2nd FDD20 wires around the bare wires I had in the 1st FDD20. This brings the power over to the 2nd FDD20.

NOTE: You might have to add a third wire for an additional ground wire. If you hook up your FDD20 and have a horrible HUM, then the 2nd ground wire will be required.
All I did was add a short wire on the NEG side of the incoming 12v (if you don't have an Ohm meter, PM me to identify the NEG wire) and ran it to the outer RCA connection on the back of the Elise (there are two wires going in to mine, it works SO WELL that I ran the Turntable ground wire here, too:

There ya have it, 2 happy FDD20's with 5998 powers. Bear in mind peoples...the FDD20's require a LONG burn in time (give them 150 hours minimum) to reveal their complete midrange power/clarity, bass authority w/articulation and velvet gloved, golden haired, angel child treble....

Not the prettiest, but it works.​

--JV--​

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #1,225 of 13,846
Oh, something I've forgotten to share. The loud hum from one of my ECC31 adapters basically gone. Sometimes it's there, but it's very seldom. Guess it goes to show that so many things in the world of audio needs some burn time before they reveal their true self. 

Now I've got an extra pair of adapters coming from the kind seller, and I kind of feel bad. Hope he has over 50% profit, but I doubt it. 

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #1,226 of 13,846
JV how does it sound even with the FDD20 being new? Just wanted an initial impressions on 2 FDD20 with 5998 power tubes.

Btw fantastic tutorial. So carefully written. Thanks.

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #1,227 of 13,846
Oh, something I've forgotten to share. The loud hum from one of my ECC31 adapters basically gone. Sometimes it's there, but it's very seldom. Guess it goes to show that so many things in the world of audio needs some burn time before they reveal their true self. 

Now I've got an extra pair of adapters coming from the kind seller, and I kind of feel bad. Hope he has over 50% profit, but I doubt it. 

Good news, Suuup!!

Your running a pair of ECC31 drivers?

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #1,229 of 13,846
JV how does it sound even with the FDD20 being new? Just wanted an initial impressions on 2 FDD20 with 5998 power tubes.

Btw fantastic tutorial. So carefully written. Thanks.

It sounds "lacking bass" compared to the 2031 combo. But, I will withhold further comment until I have the 150 hours in on the new FDD20. Easily hear the difference between the new and "established" tube.

Have my notebook over by the amp, to record the hours as she goes :)

Thx on the Tut...done for uplifting the spirit of the "Community" :wink:

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #1,230 of 13,846
Have been for something like a week now. 
Edit: Wait have I not said this? I don't actually remember now.
Btw, the one who pointed me to Rebecca Pidgeon is a saint. I've probably listened to her album in the entire ~15-20 times now. 

ECC31 pair - nice! Thought you were still waiting on a pair....my bad.

Ms Pidgeon = that was probably "Female Vocals are my fav" UT :cool:

Have you heard Joan Armatrading's S/T album:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back