Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Nov 2, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #1,141 of 13,856
Thanks JV
Excellent instruction. I will try to do one to make you proud. Thanks buddy

Your welcome, CL...

We will go over the electrics in another message (it's easy).

Also considering a totally custom adapter using these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-8pin-Ceramic-Octal-Pin-Plug-Base-For-KT66-KT88-6550-Tube-Test-Adapter-DIY-/400490426464

But they are white...custom paint job? What kind of paint sticks to ceramic?

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #1,142 of 13,856
bigsmile_face.gif
 I can only smile guys. It's a very good experience and one that you will not regret. However in the interest of discovery, try other tubes too. This is why Elise is so fun. We have so many options regarding tubes. Take your time. Sample tubes as you go. Enjoy.
beerchug.gif

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #1,143 of 13,856
Your welcome, CL...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-8pin-Ceramic-Octal-Pin-Plug-Base-For-KT66-KT88-6550-Tube-Test-Adapter-DIY-/400490426464

I vote white. Let's paint Elise white to match.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #1,146 of 13,856

bigsmile_face.gif
 I can only smile guys. It's a very good experience and one that you will not regret. However in the interest of discovery, try other tubes too. This is why Elise is so fun. We have so many options regarding tubes. Take your time. Sample tubes as you go. Enjoy.
beerchug.gif

Thanks UT

bigsmile_face.gif
beerchug.gif

Your welcome, CL...

Maybe "Acrylic Spray Paints" ???? What did you use on your last adapter?

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #1,147 of 13,856
This is a joyful day JV. You can paint it any colour you like.

I'm about to try the Mazda  6N7G. Mike and Mordy, anything I should know before the wings take off?

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #1,148 of 13,856
  This is a joyful day JV. You can paint it any colour you like.

I'm about to try the Mazda  6N7G. Mike and Mordy, anything I should know before the wings take off?

Ya the meaning of MO lol 

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #1,149 of 13,856
Marconi Osram? How about Mazda Honda? Or what's a car with 'O' ? lol

these tubes seems like they came out of Raiders of the lost ark !!! Maybe a genie will appear.

Wow something's wrong. My tubes are not the same size !!!

One's taller than the other ???

Wow they really glow.

Bliss no hum !!!

Phew 1st note sounds very good.
bigsmile_face.gif

See different height but very nice glow and initial sound is good. Dang I wanted same height. These are my best glowing tubes I have so far.

Ok too early to pass judgement but they sound like my ECC31....wow...$99 a pair. Mike and Mordy has it for $10 a pair !!!!!!
Definitely sound like ECC31. Alright I will settle down for a long listen.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #1,150 of 13,856
Thanks UT
Maybe "Acrylic Spray Paints" ???? What did you use on your last adapter?

The default adapter like shown, is plastic, not ceramic. Used BBQ grill high heat flat black.

If I do the ceramic adapter, it will have to be custom wired, set in the ceramic base, then a resin put in to make it all permanent.....the two I failed on, were black plastic bases...were not painted...

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #1,152 of 13,856
Hello everybody (this is especially for UntilThen)

After reading so many astoundingly good reviews about the best tube setups (namely the FDD20 / ECC31), it makes me wonder which DAC you've been using the Elise with?

It also makes me wonder how the Elise compares with other TOTL amps - I mean, the way you describe the Elise with the best tube setup, would you say it already meets / surpasses the likes of the EC Zana Deux or EC Studio, Crack+speedball, etc.? 

Next a few more questions about the FDD20 / ECC31 setup:
* Has the adapter been made yet so we don't need to make this from scratch?
* Regarding the config.: I take it that the best sounding setup was two FDD20's, and two ECC31's, but with the 12v supply connected only to one of the FDD20's, right?
  - And IIRC, it was said that the 12v power supply to both FDD20's made it sound overly analytical, right?
  - One more about the FDD20 - a photo was shown of a solid color tube (chrome or metal), but it seems the photo of it in your Elise was a glass tube, so which type is it?

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #1,153 of 13,856
Hello everybody (this is especially for UntilThen)

After reading so many astoundingly good reviews about the best tube setups (namely the FDD20 / ECC31), it makes me wonder which DAC you've been using the Elise with?

It also makes me wonder how the Elise compares with other TOTL amps - I mean, the way you describe the Elise with the best tube setup, would you say it already meets / surpasses the likes of the EC Zana Deux or EC Studio, Crack+speedball, etc.? 

Next a few more questions about the FDD20 / ECC31 setup:
* Has the adapter been made yet so we don't need to make this from scratch?
* Regarding the config.: I take it that the best sounding setup was two FDD20's, and two ECC31's, but with the 12v supply connected only to one of the FDD20's, right?
  - And IIRC, it was said that the 12v power supply to both FDD20's made it sound overly analytical, right?
  - One more about the FDD20 - a photo was shown of a solid color tube (chrome or metal), but it seems the photo of it in your Elise was a glass tube, so which type is it?

FDD20 and ECC31 are both driver tubes. There are 3 different setups.
2x FDD20, OR
2x ECC31, OR
1x FDD20 and 1x ECC31.

With those setups comes a choice of power tubes.

To heat an FDD20, you need to supply it with 12.6, but the Elise only supplies 6.3V. This is the reason you need to supply 12.6V to the FDD20 from an external power supply.

The 'metal' version of the FDD20 is actually the same as the one without. It is only paint, so JV used steel wool to scratch it off and reveal the beautiful tube underneath.

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #1,154 of 13,856
Also I wanted to point out a little about upstream gear:

I noticed talk of interest how great the Beyer. T1 must sound compared to other of their 'cans. Well I gotta break it to ya - the T1 is totally obsolete! Beyerdynamic just released the DT 1770 in recent months, of which many reputable Head-Fi'ers have said that it blows the T1 out of the water in every regard, as well as the T5p (both of which I've tried). The 1770 is their new flagship with a better build, better sound (especially in the bass definition, soundstage, etc.), and much cheaper. You can see the thread here.

Also I gotta mention that as phenomenal of sound that some of you are getting from the Elise, let's keep in mind that the DAC plays a humongous role in the sound quality that the Elise is pumping out. And that USB signal enhancers like Schiit Wyrd and Gustard U12 can further refine that sound that's coming into the DAC itself (I have one and have noticed a sizeable improvement using it into my DAC). The DAC's garnering the most praise these days are the MultiFrost, Gungnir Multibit (both using Schiit's trickle down R2R technology for a truly analogue sound), DAC-19 from Audio-GD which is also R2R, as well as some portable ones like Mojo and Geek Out v2.

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #1,155 of 13,856
Thanks Suuup you're a source of knowledge now.

DL, I'm now in sonic heaven with these Mazda 6N7G.

Karl did a comparison review of Elise and Crack with Speedball and found Elise better. See his review in this thread.

I really cannot tell you how it compares with TOTL tube amps. I think it will be presumptuous to think it's better than EC Zana Deux or even Studio !!!
I doubt seriously. Those are pedigree tube amps. I'd trade my Elise with a Zana Deux anytime .... or will I? After the tubes I've invested LOL.

No I can't answer that question. I can't even say it's better than La Figaro 339 or Woo Audio WA2. I think it's wrong to predict without hearing the opposition.

Lastly, don't be hasty to jump on FDD20. There are so many other options that sound really good without resorting to 12V. I think it's one to tackle when you've bedded down with Elise and experimented with a few tubes.

Hope that helps.

Oops forgot... I use NAD D1050 as DAC and my headphones are HE560 and HD650. A lot of these guys have very good DACs I can assure you that as well as headphones.

I'm a firm believer that the order of importance are Headphone > amp> dac but that's just me. Others may differ.

I don't know enough of Beyer T1 or DT 1770 to commend sorry.

Raven who owns an Elise has a good Geek unit. Very nice. Aqsw has Hegel 2 I think another expensive DAC. Karl uses Schitt Bifrost

Users who are viewing this thread

Back