Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Feb 12, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #7,816 of 13,846
  @UntilThen. Notwithstanding the fact that my wife has instituted legal proceedings to have me institutionalized, I am still trying to follow all you are doing!!!

In all seriousness, I do admire your tenacity and you are providing a wealth of information for all of us. At this point, there seems to remain one gap. We don't have a comparison between the quad powers and the GEC/Osram CV2523/A1834s . I see that Mrs. Xuling is again open for business. I could order both sets of dual adapters. As you may already know, I have 3 pairs of EL3Ns and 2 pairs of 6BL7s. But that will cost $120. I could sell a lot of my tubes that are just gathering Arizona dust and raise enough money to buy the adapters and a pair of GEC/Osrams, but I hate the idea of taking pictures, posting for sale, negotiating and then packing and shipping. My time might be better spent just finding someone else to sue )))

So my question to you. Do you contemplate in the foreseeable future getting a pair of GEC/Osrams to compare to the power combos you are now experimenting with?

I'm pretty sure that regardless of which way I go (which candidly may include the adapters and the GECs) I will probably stick with the EL3Ns as adapters. They seem hard to beat.

Hi P,

If you already have 3 pairs of EL3N and 2 pairs of 6BL7, it is a worthwhile investment on the 2 set of adapters for $120. What you need are 4 additional 6SN7. You don't have to buy the expensive ones to start with. Suggestion would be to try some sweet sounding and reasonably price Sylvania 6SN7GTB Chrome top. Well since you already have 2 stock Tung Sol 6SN7GTB reissue, you only need to buy 2 more other brands. You don't need all 4 6SN7 of the same brand and variety. Mix and match gives very pleasant tones.

My last listening session before going to bed was listening 'again' to 2xEL3N with 4x6SN7 and I slept like a lamb. This combination is now sounding so sweet I cannot believe I didn't think of using 6SN7 as power tubes. You can try it now in fact. Just use 2xEL3N and 2x6SN7. You'll get a idea of the tone. Of course doubling the 6SN7 will give you the benefits I described about using Fours combination.

As for GEC 6AS7G, my position is to wait and see. There doesn't seem to be an immediate need now to splurge $400 for them as I've just gotten hold of countless combinations here that all sound amazingly good. !!! It's like a child who has just gotten hold of a Superman toy. Do you think he would immediately want an Ironman or Incredible Hulk toy? Anyway I think even Bill Gates will bulk at the $400 asking price for the GEC. However don't let me stop you. Go for it if it's comfortable for you. Who knows when I get crazy I might buy a pair too but then the wife will come home and find the puppy missing and how will I explain? 
blink.gif

Cheers,
UT
beerchug.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #7,817 of 13,846
Hi Lucky Ones
biggrin.gif

Look at my end game, tough competition between best sounding power tubes and EL3N
tongue.gif
This makes me believe if I spend on dual adapters, I might step up in the SQ game.

I'm sure someone out there might be thinking, it's external power supply involved so there'll be hum, well,this combo is DEAD SILENT. I don't hate or discourage the idea of external PS. I wish I had two more adapters for EL3N, I might have settled down with 4 of them, nice and tidy looking step-up.

Cheers
LR

Well LR what you have there are lobsters. Good stuff but you can't eat lobsters for every meal can you? You forgot about the king crabs and caviar and abalone or whatever exotic foods floats your boat. 
bigsmile_face.gif

I have realise now that there's no such thing as end game in head-fi but you need to know when to stop........  
biggrin.gif

So before you stop, get yourself into multiple power tubes. It's the trend now LOL.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #7,818 of 13,846
I've just revisited these 2 combinations on a back to back listen with multiple power tubes. Let me assure you that these do not immediately become less SQ orientated. On the contrary I'm blown away by how good they sound.

What we have now are a good many combinations that all sound different, some more subtle than others but all are incredibly good sounding. We're now in a best position than we could ever be. The well known idiom applies ... 'We're spoilt for choice now' !!!

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #7,821 of 13,846
  @hypnos1 we've gotten over the 100k views mark. Where's the cake? 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jaws still stapled by that flamin' Cactus Cake a while back, lol!
eek.gif
tongue.gif

And yeah...2,050 over - WOW!! (the Feliks guys can't believe it either...
biggrin.gif
...). Elise certainly has attracted a great team of enthusiastic (and HAPPY) owners - and more to come!
L3000.gif
. Congrats to you all - and your individual contributions to its success - not forgetting the Feliks-Audio guys themselves, lol!!
wink_face.gif
....CHEERS!!....

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #7,822 of 13,846
Damn. Lost the guide pin on one the EL3N adapters. Must have been the struggle to insert the tube.
mad.gif

Whoops, O..."wot are you loike?!", as we would say here in Suffolk/Norfolk...

Often, there's still a slight mark showing the protrusion position, which can then be run back to the side of the base and marked...any such luck?

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #7,823 of 13,846

Hi P,

If you already have 3 pairs of EL3N and 2 pairs of 6BL7, it is a worthwhile investment on the 2 set of adapters for $120. What you need are 4 additional 6SN7. You don't have to buy the expensive ones to start with. Suggestion would be to try some sweet sounding and reasonably price Sylvania 6SN7GTB Chrome top. Well since you already have 2 stock Tung Sol 6SN7GTB reissue, you only need to buy 2 more other brands. You don't need all 4 6SN7 of the same brand and variety. Mix and match gives very pleasant tones.

My last listening session before going to bed was listening 'again' to 2xEL3N with 4x6SN7 and I slept like a lamb. This combination is now sounding so sweet I cannot believe I didn't think of using 6SN7 as power tubes. You can try it now in fact. Just use 2xEL3N and 2x6SN7. You'll get a idea of the tone. Of course doubling the 6SN7 will give you the benefits I described about using Fours combination.

As for GEC 6AS7G, my position is to wait and see. There doesn't seem to be an immediate need now to splurge $400 for them as I've just gotten hold of countless combinations here that all sound amazingly good. !!! It's like a child who has just gotten hold of a Superman toy. Do you think he would immediately want an Ironman or Incredible Hulk toy? Anyway I think even Bill Gates will bulk at the $400 asking price for the GEC. However don't let me stop you. Go for it if it's comfortable for you. Who knows when I get crazy I might buy a pair too but then the wife will come home and find the puppy missing and how will I explain? 
blink.gif

Cheers,
UT
beerchug.gif

Thanks UT. Sounds like very good advice. I'll go ahead and order the adapters and 4 6SN7s. That should keep me busy for a while))

By the way, right now I'm listening to EL3N drivers/5998 powers. Very nice)))

Be kind to animals 
deadhorse.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #7,825 of 13,846
Oskari stop breaking pins in your enthusiasm. 

This is what I like about using 4x6SN7. I can use all my favourite drivers again. Here I've paired the bright and energetic French Mazda 6N7G with the dark warm tones of the American RCA 6SN7GT Smoke Glass VT231 and the Russian 6H8C/6N8S Fotons for an international flavour. This is 3 stars Michelin I kid you not.

All well under the 6.5A threshold. I think it's safe to assume up to 6.8A is ok. 
etysmile.gif

** 6SN7 sounds smooth.. grainless.

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #7,826 of 13,846
  Thanks UT. Sounds like very good advice. I'll go ahead and order the adapters and 4 6SN7s. That should keep me busy for a while))

By the way, right now I'm listening to EL3N drivers/5998 powers. Very nice)))

Be kind to animals 
deadhorse.gif

You're enjoying that combo? Nice !!! Tung Sol will make you an honorary member.

When I first started I could hardly remember the tube ids but now I know 5998 better than my bank account pin number.

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #7,829 of 13,846
Must try.

Incidentally, my Elise doesn't like C3g drivers with EL3N powers: distortion.

6SN7 drivers with EL3Ns: no such problem.

I have the same problem but if you swap them around they seem better. In any case I'm not so fond of C3G and EL3N combination now.

Try EL3N as driver and 6SN7 as power.

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #7,830 of 13,846
This is very good tone too. It's all blend in. I'm not even using the same drivers pair. Tung Sol mouse ears and Sylvania 6SN7WGT all blending in with 6BL7 and RCA 6SN7GT VT231. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back