Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Oct 10, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #197 of 13,856
Bass Balls..

If you want to see if your system can handle incredible bass....

Purchase the Marcus Miller CD called "M2"

http://www.amazon.com/M2-Marcus-Miller/dp/B00005JH7D/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1444528053&sr=1-2&keywords=marcus+miller

It's a heck of a a bass players' album. He used to play for Miles Davis at one time.

If it's on Tidal, sample it...

:)

Got several albums from him very good and i think he's on Miles Davis TUTU album sounds like him very nice sounding album in hires by the way                                                             

Below  Miles Davis TUTU album cover                                                                                             

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #198 of 13,856
Hi UT,

Believe it was for a pair with one broken guide pin.....

Re 6N7 and 6N7GT tubes I found very little information about them, but it seems that the one to have is the 6N7G tube. Long live the "Shouldered Tube" AKA ST tube, AKA Coke Bottle tube!

The single review I found comparing these three tubes liked a National 6N7 tube, a Sylvania 6N7G tube and a Tung Sol 6N7GT tube, having tried a several different brands of these tubes.

Hi hypnos 1,

All I can tell you IS "IF GOOD IS GOOD, ISN'T BETTER BETTER? Perhaps we reached the end game with the Little Dot MKIII/IV, but the Elise came along, and it is markedly better. I don't think that we have reached the end game with the Elise yet - but we are getting there.

For those who don't want to spend the money on a pair of GEC A1834 power tubes, try a pair of 60's GE 6AS7GA tubes. I am waiting for a comparison - the results may be surprising.....Somebody who has both, please weigh in!

Turned on my 6N7G oldies (made in 1937, packed in 1938, which is entirely possible since it was developed in 1936 - thanks Oskari). Sounded blah; what's going on? Well, those oldies seem to need some juice to get going - after 1/2 hour warm-up they sound very good!

The thread is heating up, and we only have some twenty owners.....

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #199 of 13,856
ic a pair for 62 pounds now that's a deal guide or no guide.

Nicely done JV and Mike. Keep those recommendations coming. I'm into jazz, blues, classical, rock and when I'm crazy electronic. Most of all I love vocals esp female vocals.

Mordy you forgot Mike's sign that says 'There is no end'. We certainly are getting heated up here...by all the tubes.

ummm Marcus Miller is very good indeed.

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #200 of 13,856
  ic a pair for 62 pounds now that's a deal guide or no guide.

Nicely done JV and Mike. Keep those recommendations coming. I'm into jazz, blues, classical, rock and when I'm crazy electronic. Most of all I love vocals esp female vocals.

Mordy you forgot Mike's sign that says 'There is no end'. We certainly are getting heated up here...by all the tubes.

One of my favorites is JOSS STONE also ANNIE LENNOX 

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #202 of 13,856
Hi,

Continuing enjoying the 6N7G tubes. After some 30 hours the treble has picked up in sizzle, but the bass, even though very musical and with good detail, does not have real slam and impact - not that it bothers me because of the great holographic sound stage and sweet sound.

However, the tubes are microphonic. At listening levels too high to use, there is even acoustic feedback, and at moderate levels the shelf and stand are sensitive to tapping (but this does not come through in the music unless you deliberately tap the tubes or the amp or shelf.)

Another problem is a fairly loud hum that I can only hear through my headphones, but not through the speakers. This hum is present through the headphones even with the volume at zero, (and maybe at way too loud listening levels through the speakers). Playing music through the headphones hides the hum, but it is there.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the hum?

Gibosi,

Thanks for the link to the Mazda tubes - ordered a pair.

Oct 11, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #203 of 13,856
I've found with my NOS 7N7 that just playing music through it will get rid of the hum. It took about 5 solid hours of straight burn in. I've to do that with the pair, singly of course on my DV. Once it's gone it stays off and I love the 7N7 now.

Oct 11, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #204 of 13,856
FDD20/ECC31 Listening impression:

I had more time to "play" today, than usual. I tried a lot of tube combinations in the Elise to see if the FDD20/ECC31 combo could be beat.

I am back to FDD20/ECC31.

Think the second best overall, was a pair of C3gS - still a really great tube.

6N7G comes in a close third. They sound great too, but the forward presentation does not sound as good as the more mellow FDD20/ECC31 combo, which is full, richly detailed, yet mellow in presentation, that becomes a pleasant enhancement to any tune in any genre. Never congested, magically detailed without sounding analytical.

Definitely heard things I never knew were in recordings that I am very familiar with. Digital and analog sources, everybody was happy with this pair of tubes to show off their wares. Cavernous bass is not bloated but instead displays ability and capacity, when needed

Like this combo enough to start thinking of ways to permatize the setup, make it prettier, less Frankenstein looking :)

--JV--

Yo JV...reckon this combo is gonna be VERY hard to beat, lol! 
wink_face.gif
(And despite fear of constant repetition, you're in for even MORE joyous surprises in the hours to come...). Hope you manage to pretty things up a bit.

With any luck, perhaps intrepid rollers might just turn up a 6N7G to match the FDD20, or at least come a bit nearer?
wink.gif
...we live in hope, lol!

Hi UT,

Believe it was for a pair with one broken guide pin.....

Re 6N7 and 6N7GT tubes I found very little information about them, but it seems that the one to have is the 6N7G tube. Long live the "Shouldered Tube" AKA ST tube, AKA Coke Bottle tube!

The single review I found comparing these three tubes liked a National 6N7 tube, a Sylvania 6N7G tube and a Tung Sol 6N7GT tube, having tried a several different brands of these tubes.

Hi hypnos 1,

All I can tell you IS "IF GOOD IS GOOD, ISN'T BETTER BETTER? Perhaps we reached the end game with the Little Dot MKIII/IV, but the Elise came along, and it is markedly better. I don't think that we have reached the end game with the Elise yet - but we are getting there.

For those who don't want to spend the money on a pair of GEC A1834 power tubes, try a pair of 60's GE 6AS7GA tubes. I am waiting for a comparison - the results may be surprising.....Somebody who has both, please weigh in!

Turned on my 6N7G oldies (made in 1937, packed in 1938, which is entirely possible since it was developed in 1936 - thanks Oskari). Sounded blah; what's going on? Well, those oldies seem to need some juice to get going - after 1/2 hour warm-up they sound very good!

The thread is heating up, and we only have some twenty owners.....

Hi m.

Yes indeed..."Coke" definitely seems the only way to go, lol...
tongue.gif

And aaahhh....you haven't heard the ECC31s or 31/FDD20 combo yet - I think JV will confirm it's gonna take a real miracle to surpass what these beauties deliver!
wink_face.gif
...it truly is unbelievable. But I wish you all the very best in the search, mon ami!! (Me?....I have now reached overload!
redface.gif
...but am more than happy..
L3000.gif
beyersmile.png
).

Sounds like you may have been a bit unlucky with your 6N7Gs...the bane of a good few 'oldies' it seems (and not just oldies!!). But keep trying...you may well find the Holy Grail, lol!

ps. Wonder if my PMs have been getting through OK?...

Cheers!

pps. Indeed...good to see the new thread coming along nicely...
beerchug.gif

Hi,

Continuing enjoying the 6N7G tubes. After some 30 hours the treble has picked up in sizzle, but the bass, even though very musical and with good detail, does not have real slam and impact - not that it bothers me because of the great holographic sound stage and sweet sound.

However, the tubes are microphonic. At listening levels too high to use, there is even acoustic feedback, and at moderate levels the shelf and stand are sensitive to tapping (but this does not come through in the music unless you deliberately tap the tubes or the amp or shelf.)

Another problem is a fairly loud hum that I can only hear through my headphones, but not through the speakers. This hum is present through the headphones even with the volume at zero, (and maybe at way too loud listening levels through the speakers). Playing music through the headphones hides the hum, but it is there.

Gibosi,

Oct 11, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #205 of 13,856
  could anyone here with the ELISE who owns beyerdynamic T1's speak about their experience with the pairing? thanks!

Welcome to the thread mastapoo.

I upgraded from the HD650s to the T1s and the difference was night and day! The Elise was almost made just for the Beyers...but she manages to drive a whole range of HPs. The Feliks-Audio guys went out of their way for it to also handle low-z cans better than most OTL amps do.

Even with stock tubes, the T1s perform brilliantly...afraid I don't have the time just now for more detailed info, but will update later.

Cheers,
CJ

Oct 11, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #206 of 13,856
Hi,

Gibosi,

Hello Mordy...

None of my four 6N7G's hum at all.
The earlier 1940's pair has noticably less bass than the mid 70's "GM" rebrands.

Try this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-6N7-G-COKE-BOTTLE-TUBE-W-BLACK-PLATES-TESTED-/351545934490

Both the ECC31 and FDD20 are microphonic big time but un-noticed via headphone listening without tapping the glass.

If you want great bass:
FDD20/ECC31 combo is the way to go, for Elise, in my opinion. You won't regret it.

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #207 of 13,856
Hi JV,

Part of the allure of tubes for me is to dredge up the bargains. It would be easy to just order a pair of ECC32 tubes with another pair of GEC A1834, but I just can't get myself to spend the big bucks (around $1000.00 if you just click on the buy it now button.) So far I did not pay more than $18 for a tube, including shipping. This way of acquisition is very challenging and requires patience.

I do have a bunch of top notch tubes, but some only as singles so far, in order to meet my self imposed price limits. It also seems to me that people are overlooking very inexpensive tubes as being, well, too inexpensive.

It must be a fact that a $200 tube is so much better than a $10 tube, right?

So the question is: If I have a pair of $20 6N7G drivers and a pair of GE 6AS7GA power tubes for $15, do I get 70%, 80% or 90% of the sound of the best and most expensive that's out there?

I don't have the answer since I have not been able to compare. One thing is for sure, even with a less optimal set up, the tremendous musical enjoyment is there with the Elise.

I am not giving up - I'll either find a bargain or cave in just to have the best LOL. In the meanwhile I am enjoying myself...

Listening to my oldies 6N7G tubes paired with the Chatham 6AS7G at the moment. The Chathams add a little more punch to the bass and a more analytical and less warm sound than the GE 6AS7GA tubes. Sounds great, but something bothers me, don't know what. maybe a certain hardness to the sound.

Do you like strawberry shortcake or pizza with a spicy topping? It really isn't a good analogy - the only food somebody could eat every day of his life without getting tired of it is.... bread.

How did I get into this philosophical discussion?

Thanks for the link to the Delco 6N7G tube - unfortunately he only has a single tube.

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #208 of 13,856
  Hi JV,

Part of the allure of tubes for me is to dredge up the bargains. It would be easy to just order a pair of ECC32 tubes with another pair of GEC A1834, but I just can't get myself to spend the big bucks (around $1000.00 if you just click on the buy it now button.) So far I did not pay more than $18 for a tube, including shipping. This way of acquisition is very challenging and requires patience.

I do have a bunch of top notch tubes, but some only as singles so far, in order to meet my self imposed price limits. It also seems to me that people are overlooking very inexpensive tubes as being, well, too inexpensive.

It must be a fact that a $200 tube is so much better than a $10 tube, right?

So the question is: If I have a pair of $20 6N7G drivers and a pair of GE 6AS7GA power tubes for $15, do I get 70%, 80% or 90% of the sound of the best and most expensive that's out there?

I don't have the answer since I have not been able to compare. One thing is for sure, even with a less optimal set up, the tremendous musical enjoyment is there with the Elise.

I am not giving up - I'll either find a bargain or cave in just to have the best LOL. In the meanwhile I am enjoying myself...

Listening to my oldies 6N7G tubes paired with the Chatham 6AS7G at the moment. The Chathams add a little more punch to the bass and a more analytical and less warm sound than the GE 6AS7GA tubes. Sounds great, but something bothers me, don't know what. maybe a certain hardness to the sound.

Do you like strawberry shortcake or pizza with a spicy topping? It really isn't a good analogy - the only food somebody could eat every day of his life without getting tired of it is.... bread.

How did I get into this philosophical discussion?

Thanks for the link to the Delco 6N7G tube - unfortunately he only has a single tube.

Hello Mordy!

$1000.00 'eh!  Wow, now that would be a _giant_ tube budget :)

I think your doing a great job!  Keep at it!!

Think the most I have spent on a tube this far, was $70.00 for the one ECC31, including shipping.  He only had one for that price.  Once you buy the FDD20 adapter for $25.00, an NOS FDD20 from Germany runs about $32.00 per tube - not too bad.

Still looking for 5694's I hope, too  :)

Here is off topic item...took the dogs for a hike on a trail near my house, this am...and made this photo...   :)

See ya!

--JV--

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #209 of 13,856
Hi JV,

Great photo! Here is a picture I took:

P1040305.JPG

It was taken from a mountain overlooking another mountain and shows the fall foliage of the trees with the sun shining on one spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back