Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Oct 8, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #151 of 13,846
Mullard 6080's as Powers and Ken Rad VT-231's as drivers.

A very complimentary combination. If they were the only tubes I had for my Elise, I think I could be very satisfied with this set.

Smooth across the audio spectrum, nice deep bass, 6th row, center, presentation.

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #152 of 13,846
I thought if you get stranded on an island all you need is Brooke Shields. Yeah I could live with only those tubes on an island too.

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #154 of 13,846
Hi,

Received two 6N7G tubes - one Arcturus and one Sylvania.
P1060226.JPG

P1060227.JPG

There is no identifying information except what you see here. Arcturus was founded around 1927 and went out of business in the 1940's. The name continued being used for rebranded tubes until the 60's. The tube looks old so I am guessing that it was made around 1940, but only a guess.
Interesting innards:
P1060229.JPG

P1060234.JPG

Here is the Sylvania 6N7G: It's name is engraved on the base the same as the Arcturus, but it has a date code of 8 D R and the symbols 7 D on each side of the name (no silk printing on the glass of either tube).
P1060240.JPG

P1060242.JPG

Another guess - the tube was made in April 1948 (1938?) in factory R. 7 D? Oskari - what do you think?
A couple of pictures of the internal construction:
P1060235.JPG

P1060237.JPG

P1060238.JPG

At the bottom of this picture the newly discovered display stand can barely be seen - a roll of 3/4 inch scotch tape with the tube resting in the inside circle. (A little scary; after all it's glass, but what don't you have to do for the sake of furthering the understanding of antique and presumably rare radio tubes.)

In a post yesterday I described the wonderfully wide and holographic sound stage and sweet mid range of these tubes. BUT, do they sound better than than my beloved C3g tubes?

I decided to A/B the C3g and the 6N7G while listening to a high quality mono recording and moving the balance control right and left on my integrated amp with the Elise doing the preamp function.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tftUXJ_uBPA

This tune was recorded in 1929 and is aptly called "Nervous Tension." Has plenty of detail and percussion and fits into the Arcturus time period.

Disclaimer : This method only highlights the differences between two tubes, but it does NOT describe the differences between the two sets of tubes since the synergy is missing - the sum total is greater than the sum of the parts. You just get two different halves of the recording with this method with the Elise.

Ok, I got it off my chest... The C3g goes lower, has more slam and impact and a more chiseled treble. The 6N7G is overall warmer, sweeter and more musical with a beautiful mid range and tonality. The C3g tubes do not match the holographic presentation and the wide and deep sound stage of a pair of 6N7G tubes.

Will finish with a true story to describe how I feel about which tube is the best: A lady comes into a shoe store and tries on winter boots. Finally she narrows it down to two different pairs. The salesperson asks which pair she wants to buy, and the lady answers: I can't make up my mind, I'll take both!

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #155 of 13,846
Good review of the 6N7G. My Philco has 7P and 7S stamped on the base. The seller listed it as circa 30s.

What about the 6N7 and 6N7GT. Do you have those?

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #156 of 13,846
Where do you all buy your tubes? I'm looking at Ebay, but there seems to be very few listings. I got 1 6N7G, but I still have to find another one. It also has to be in Europe, since we have crazy expensive from outside Europe here in Denmark. 

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #157 of 13,846
Hello Mordy...

Excellent detailed photos of your early 6N7G's. My 1940's pair that have fins above the top mica (similar you yours), also have the lighter bass note.
But the mid 1970's pair do not have fins above the top mica, and produce a fuller, fatter bottom octave.

GM Rebrands (RCA?) that are sans foils above top Mica and have fuller bass.​

Agree with your "holographic soundstage" comments and agree that they are inexpensive to own.

These are great to have around for their impressive musicality and 3D soundstage.

Thanks for your post.

Suuup - bought mine on Ebay. Have to be patient. A pair will come along....also need adapters to run 6N7G's...

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #158 of 13,846
Hello Mordy...

Excellent detailed photos of your early 6N7G's. My 1940's pair that have fins above the top mica (similar you yours), also have the lighter bass note.
But the mid 1970's pair do not have fins above the top mica, and produce a fuller, fatter bottom octave.

GM Rebrands (RCA?) that are sans foils above top Mica and have fuller bass.​

Agree with your "holographic soundstage" comments and agree that they are inexpensive to own.

These are great to have around for their impressive musicality and 3D soundstage.

Thanks for your post.

Suuup - bought mine on Ebay. Have to be patient. A pair will come along....also need adapters to run 6N7G's...

I've been searching for over 20 hours total now. I even ordered 1 6N7G from Ebay, but that's not enough. Now I think I might have found a place to buy them. Currently awaiting a response, but I'm optimistic. 

Btw I'm curious. Is there any sort of 'end-game' tube, that we know would have an amazing sound, but is too expensive?

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #159 of 13,846
Experiencing day and night difference with DSD :D 

Please welcome Geek Pulse SFi DAC by Light Harmonics Audio. Guys, for the next couple of sessions I will try to hear the differences between an Elise and SFi's on board amplifier that does 2000mW into headphones.

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #160 of 13,846
Hi Suuup,

Yes, it is hard to find these tubes. In addition to eBay you have to surf the internet. Sometimes you see somebody selling all kinds of tubes. Then you might shoot them an email and ask if they have what you are looking for - sometimes you luck out.

The story about the two tubes I got: Found a posting from somebody in Louisiana that refurbishes and repairs old tube radios - looks like a retired US military electronics guy. Contacted him and he said he would look for the tubes. Answered that somebody from China just bought 18 (!) 6N7G tubes, but he has two left - $7 each + shipping $7. He said that it wasn't really worth it for him to bother with, but I tried to be nice and polite. He tested the tubes, said that they were 100% - do I want them?

I figured I'll take a chance without any guarantees and paid him.

I have a couple of feelers out for more tubes from different sellers, but nothing yet.

Rule #1: Be patient, something will turn up.
Rule #2: Communicate, write to the seller; some of them love tubes and are happy to share their experiences.
Rule #3: Be patient, something will turn up (from somebody selling his grandfather's left over TV repair shop stock, not a professional seller that will charge top $).

Good luck - lycka till!

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #161 of 13,846
There are still quite a few 6N7Gs on eBay mostly from USA but there's one from Italy and noticed it used to be $99 buy out but now it's on auction starting at $100 !!! 
bigsmile_face.gif

I've bought from Viva tubes before and they are ok. They have quite a few 6N7G. Also another chinese seller whom I bought my Philco 6N7Gs from.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #162 of 13,846
  Experiencing day and night difference with DSD :D 

Please welcome Geek Pulse SFi DAC by Light Harmonics Audio. Guys, for the next couple of sessions I will try to hear the differences between an Elise and SFi's on board amplifier that does 2000mW into headphones.

Hi LR...should be real interesting. Shame the Geek isn't up against a pair of ECC31s, lol! 
wink_face.gif
But must be a killer DAC for the Elise, however...NICE!!!
biggrin.gif
L3000.gif

Oct 9, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #165 of 13,846
I am in FDD20 land...

Running an FDD20 beside an ECC31:

​
This tube requires an adapter for Elise use, as the FDD20 uses an oddball base.  An adapter is avail on Ebay, but you must modify it, by cutting off pins 7 and 8 on the adapter's octal foot (I used a dremel, took about 3 seconds).  And you have to rig the +/- 12 volt wires into the adapter as well:

​
You use an external 12v DC power supply to send the needed 12volts DC to the FDD20:

​
I bought my 12v DC power supply at a used electronics store, for about $6.00
It is important that the external power supply, is within the FDD20 specs:  12volts DC and up to 1 amp of current:

This one supplies 12volts DC and 750mA (milliamps) and so, was AOK for FDD20 use. 

The FDD20 has huge bass.  The ECC31 also is known for a large bass response, these two tubes sound very much alike.  They have similar gain factors, so pair well with one another. 

My FDD20 is NOS and was never used.  It sounds really good now, H1 reports they get better and better, as it passes the 50 hours of burn in, mark.

Now for some listening sessions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back