Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jun 13, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #8,446 of 11,833
Hi UT,

Thanks for the good laugh...
6SN7 gtb are really for the farmers and not aristocrats.

The only difference between the GTA and the GTB is that the GTB warms up quicker - no difference in sound.
ATM I am listening to an excellent GTB but I will not reveal my bargain sleeper find until I buy up all of them! Angpsi - I paid $8 for my pair incl. shipping.
OK - bought another pair for $20 incl shipping this time.

b.jpg

Please don't be so sure! :)

Another lovely Japanese tube is the Hitachi 6SN7GTB with the black plates (ITT rebrands are not uncommon).

We really should keep this knowledge to yourselves. :wink:
Hi Oskari,

And for the cognoscenti - the TFK 6SN7GTB ......Let's see if you can figure that one out.....

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #8,447 of 11,833
Jun 13, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #8,448 of 11,833
Hi UT,

Thanks for the good laugh...
6SN7 gtb are really for the farmers and not aristocrats.

The only difference between the GTA and the GTB is that the GTB warms up quicker - no difference in sound.
ATM I am listening to an excellent GTB but I will not reveal my bargain sleeper find until I buy up all of them! Angpsi - I paid $8 for my pair incl. shipping.
@mordy I need to start listening to you more or I'll end up divorced!

Jun 13, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #8,450 of 11,833
Another lovely Japanese tube is the Hitachi 6SN7GTB with the black plates (ITT rebrands are not uncommon).

We really should keep this knowledge to ourselves.

That's why I say that the gtb are for farmers and not for aristocrats. If I say the gtb are for kings, then they will be snapped up in a jiffy. So don't let the secret out that the gtb though cheap, are really good sounding 6sn7.

However, you're picking up a piece of tube history when you buy 6sn7w. They are for mermaids. Congrats @HPLobster and @angpsi , sorry for your wallet.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #8,451 of 11,833
This is the RCA 6sn7gt vt231 smoke glass. At one stage, I didn't like it. I find it very warm, lush, even a bit dark, with bass a bit prominent at the expense of a lopped off high end. However, now with a more revealing Yggy and very revealing HD800, I find this combination very useful again. It balances the sound out very well. It is very organic now and still very revealing.

20170527_131414.jpg

Jun 13, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #8,452 of 11,833
Jun 13, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #8,453 of 11,833
I have been enjoying my new UK-6SN7 for a little over a week now. I find em' go very well with my HEX.

I'm using Auralic Aries mini as source and DAC connected to my Elise. im looking for my next upgrade, and was wondering where i would get the best upgrade for the penny.
If any have some experience with Auralic or just some good ideas, its more than welcome!

1- Buy a Schiit Modi Multibit, instead of using the internal dac in Aries, maybe another used dac..

2- Buy a new PSU, either Auralics own LPS or maybe this http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hi-fi...ulated-power-supply-16v-25a-60va-p-11972.html or maybe just a IFI ipower 15v for 50$

I'm using it in a bedroom setup, so don't have room for very large DAC, like Gungnir, and would like to use max 400 EUR

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #8,454 of 11,833
Hello @Gjoel it depends on how bright or warm your system is sounding now. Mimby (Modi Multibit) from the many users impressions I've read, is that it follows Yggy's strength of revelation... ie it is very revealing. I'm speculating of course but I believe the addition of Mimby, will bring about a much better change than the DAC in the Auralic Aries Mini... moreso than adding a new PSU.

If on the other hand, you need to dial in more warmth, than a used Bimby or my ex-DAC - the NAD d1050, will be a better choice. :)

Eventually though you will get a LPS for the Mini. Everyone seems to do that. It's the fashion. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #8,456 of 11,833
That's why I say that the gtb are for farmers and not for aristocrats. If I say the gtb are for kings, then they will be snapped up in a jiffy. So don't let the secret out that the gtb though cheap, are really good sounding 6sn7.
I suppose the plurality of the GTBs were made for tv sets, perhaps for tv sets for the farmers. :wink:

Jun 13, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #8,457 of 11,833
If you really wanted to get a fix for overspending, then you should have gotten these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sylvania-...crome-top-tube-NOS-OB-1944-1945-/162530665398

NOS / OB... What beauties!
s-l1600.jpg

I won´t tell you how much I spend on mine :innocent:..... but at least they have the same nice U-S-anchor-emblem on them...and according to the seller they are date code matched (1945)....
Also interestingly enough they have printed "6SN7W" on top instead of "6SN7A" - I´m glad I already bought them, otherwise the confusion would never end :dt880smile:

s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #8,459 of 11,833
Not sure I can at all...

Those boxes are special!
Hi Oskari,

Remember the mystery with Siemens tubes marked "Foreign." You were the one to identify them as Japanese made on the LD MKIII thread in the good ol' days....

According to JACmusic, the Toshiba 6SN7GTB look identical to 1960 Telefunken 6SN7GTB tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back