Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jun 13, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #8,416 of 11,833
Nice :) Congrats!!! Don´t worry, I have a good feeling about them :ksc75smile:
Fingers crossed! In truth, I went way beyond my spending budget for these because I'd already spend substantially for the GEC 6080. But both cases seemed like a good deal and I didn't want to miss out...

Jun 13, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #8,419 of 11,833
5998 can be a bit too energetic for some. So be prepared to counter it with headphones or drivers. I find on Elise, Sylvania 6sn7gtb and TS 5998 with HD650 hits the sweet spot.
Now you're telling me?!? So I also got to buy another set of drivers and a new set of headphones??? :dt880smile:

Jun 13, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #8,420 of 11,833
Check out the Euforia's thread. I posted there that out of vinyl, CD and Tidal HiFi ( the latter 2 via Yggdrasil $2299 DAC), I prefer the vinyl sound from my budget Denon DP300F turntable.

.... and I just snack one GEC 6as7g (used in good condition) for $82 and one Chatham 6080wb (used but in good condition - solid graphite plates) for $33. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

I will do that tonight UT :sunglasses:

Great find UT. Now you only need to source another one of each :laughing: A pair of GEC 6AS7G or GEC 6080 would sure be nice to have. What do you think of the 6080WB? I have trouble accepting 20-30 mins of "ping!" noise at warm up. But otherwise I feel that they sing beautifully, especially with the Ken-Rads.

Jun 13, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #8,421 of 11,833
I will do that tonight UT :sunglasses:

Great find UT. Now you only need to source another one of each :laughing: A pair of GEC 6AS7G or GEC 6080 would sure be nice to have. What do you think of the 6080WB? I have trouble accepting 20-30 mins of "ping!" noise at warm up. But otherwise I feel that they sing beautifully, especially with the Ken-Rads.

I already have a pair of Bendix 6080wb and another NOS pair of GEC 6as7g incoming. These single ones will act as backups. :)

I don't have to warm up the 6080wb for 20 - 30 mins. Mine warm up in 2 mins. I train it.

Jun 13, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #8,422 of 11,833
One last question concerning the neverending Sylvania-classification - I have to ask since all info I can find is based on the WGTB-Chrome top...:

JAN 6SN7WGTA-chrome top or JAN-CHS-6SN7W-chrome top ??? The latter should be the better purchase or do I misread @UntilThen ´s post? :nerd:

You're confused indeed.

Let me just narrow it down to 3 Sylvania 6sn7s for you, even though there are more variations. Let's keep it simple for you.

So the 3 are:-

Sylvania 6sn7w
This is simply called that, even though it has the chrome top. The chrome is implied. This tube is supposed to be the lieutenant to Tung Sol 6sn7gt black glass round plate. It commands respect and your wallet. Beware though, the top end is very revealing so are the other frequency range. The hype is justified. This is a very good 6sn7.

Sylvania 6sn7wgt
This is the one with brown base. The wgt signifies that it's a rugged tube made for the military. Amongst all the Sylvania, this is the least bright. Generally I consider Sylvania 6sn7s bright but in a a good way. Like a bright Autumn's day. It lifts Winter's gloom, that's another way of putting it. Anyway back to these brown base. Less bright, drier tone, wide soundstage, pretty solid bass, a tone that is more opaque than transparent. If I need to dial down on the brightness in my system, I'd use this driver. A more extreme version would be the RCA 6sn7gt vt231 smoke glass. The brown base is no where near the warm and lushness of the RCA. I'm describing the RCA so you get an idea.

Sylvania 6sn7gtb chrome top
Now this is the gtb version and often tag with the chrome top labelling even though most Sylvanias have chrome top. The gtb are the latest incarnations of 6sn7 and is the most widely available and cheapest. It is very good value though. Tung Sol, Raytheon 6sn7gtb can be gotten quite cheaply and still sound very good. Try them.

Sylvania 6sn7gt vt231 bad boys
I'll throw this in too because this is a very sought after tube. Suppose to be very good sounding and rank after the 6sn7w. These could have 2 or 3 holes black plates.

There you go. I'll try and talk about the other brands 6sn7 another day.

Ps... gtb takes the shortest time to warm up. So this is a plus.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #8,423 of 11,833
Fingers crossed! In truth, I went way beyond my spending budget for these because I'd already spend substantially for the GEC 6080. But both cases seemed like a good deal and I didn't want to miss out...

Don't worry apsi. You have 2 of my fav power tubes. The 5998 and Gec 6080.

The other 2 that makes up my quad favourites are - Gec 6as7g and Bendix 6080wb.

Once you've these 4, you're close to the 5th element...... which is basically a light bulb. :ksc75smile:

Jun 13, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #8,424 of 11,833
Now you're telling me?!? So I also got to buy another set of drivers and a new set of headphones??? :dt880smile:

Your ears could be different from mine. What I consider energetic, you might consider it moonlight serenade.

Get some 6sn7s with varying tones. Some bright, some warm and some in between. Do the same with the power tubes. Your combinations then will be greater than the Rubik's cube.

Jun 13, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #8,427 of 11,833
Here I have Sylvania 6sn7w and Tung Sol 5998. This is a serious combination. It has x-ray's powers. It will help your grand-ma see clearly. Trust me. If your car windscreen needs cleaning, stick these tubes on it.

20170604_093835.jpg

Jun 13, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #8,428 of 11,833
You're confused indeed.

Let me just narrow it down to 3 Sylvania 6sn7s for you, even though there are more variations. Let's keep it simple for you.

So the 3 are:-

Sylvania 6sn7w
This is simply called that, even though it has the chrome top. The chrome is implied. This tube is supposed to be the lieutenant to Tung Sol 6sn7gt black glass round plate. It commands respect and your wallet. Beware though, the top end is very revealing so are the other frequency range. The hype is justified. This is a very good 6sn7.

Sylvania 6sn7wgt
This is the one with brown base. The wgt signifies that it's a rugged tube made for the military. Amongst all the Sylvania, this is the least bright. Generally I consider Sylvania 6sn7s bright but in a a good way. Like a bright Autumn's day. It lifts Winter's gloom, that's another way of putting it. Anyway back to these brown base. Less bright, drier tone, wide soundstage, pretty solid bass, a tone that is more opaque than transparent. If I need to dial down on the brightness in my system, I'd use this driver. A more extreme version would be the RCA 6sn7gt vt231 smoke glass. The brown base is no where near the warm and lushness of the RCA. I'm describing the RCA so you get an idea.

Sylvania 6sn7gtb chrome top
Now this is the gtb version and often tag with the chrome top labelling even though most Sylvanias have chrome top. The gtb are the latest incarnations of 6sn7 and is the most widely available and cheapest. It is very good value though. Tung Sol, Raytheon 6sn7gtb can be gotten quite cheaply and still sound very good. Try them.

Sylvania 6sn7gt vt231 bad boys
I'll throw this in too because this is a very sought after tube. Suppose to be very good sounding and rank after the 6sn7w. These could have 2 or 3 holes black plates.

There you go. I'll try and talk about the other brands 6sn7 another day.

Ps... gtb takes the shortest time to warm up. So this is a plus.

Thanks UT, and thank you for narrowing it down to three 4 variations :p
I´ll keep it even simpler, since I still haven´t found anything on the 6sb7gta

This:
S6SN7-SYL2_grob_TAD.jpg

or this:

s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

I´m buying the wgt-brownbase anyway...

Jun 13, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #8,429 of 11,833
In contrast, this is much more relaxing. This is a very good relaxing tone. If you're stressed, you should use these tubes. It will de-stress you better than a sexy psychologist. So this is the 2nd in the series of my current favourite combinations. The 1st being the one above.

20170605_182530.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back