Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Apr 14, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #7,922 of 11,833
  Hi UT,

EL11 and EL12 sounds similar to my ears.

Yes and no. The "house sound" is similar, but they do not sound the same. How do I know? I ordered a TFK EL12 but it sounded too thin in the bass, and I finally figured out that I got an EL11 tube instead. The silk screening was worn where the numbers were printed, and a very close look revealed the number 11 with most of the second 1 missing. (I became convinced of this after studying pictures of other similar TFK tubes offered for sale on eBay.)

It might sound different to you but it sounded the same to me. I had the EL11 for a pretty long time before I dispatch it to H1. I did a lot of swapping between EL11 and EL12 with EL12N as power tubes.

This is a top view of the EL tubes. The front pair is EL11 and you can see the different fins of the 2 Telefunken EL12.

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #7,923 of 11,833
I'm back to using Psvane 6SN7 and Mullard 6080. Spend a whole day yesterday with these tubes with a variety of music. I prefer these over the EL tubes setup. The former is more relaxed and non fatiguing to me, has all the clarity and details with a realistic and wide soundstage.

However as there is a big camp of lovers of EL tubes here, I shall not rain on their parade. It just seems ironic to me that Elise and Euforia being design for 6SN7 and 6AS7 specifically have led many to seek other tubes instead, particularly pentodes. I know it's a big turn around for me but this is where I am at now after tube rolling for more than a year with Elise. 

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #7,925 of 11,833
  I'm back to using Psvane 6SN7 and Mullard 6080. Spend a whole day yesterday with these tubes with a variety of music. I prefer these over the EL tubes setup. The former is more relaxed and non fatiguing to me, has all the clarity and details with a realistic and wide soundstage.

However as there is a big camp of lovers of EL tubes here, I shall not rain on their parade. It just seems ironic to me that Elise and Euforia being design for 6SN7 and 6AS7 specifically have led many to seek other tubes instead, particularly pentodes. I know it's a big turn around for me but this is where I am at now after tube rolling for more than a year with Elise. 

A turnaround indeed UT, by one of our most prolific rollers lol!!

But what you are highlighting is that journey of discovery towards finding just what eventually suits one's own personal taste...
biggrin.gif
. And this can indeed be a VERY long and tortuous journey...mine has been a good few years now, and I myself have only just finally discovered my preferred taste! 

And don't forget that the situation becomes a bit more clouded as our hearing changes with the passage of time LOL!
wink_face.gif
...not to mention changes in our sound system. I myself am both excited and just a little apprehensive about the quite major changes I shall soon be making in my own setup, and perhaps further tube 'tweaking' just might be necessary - but I hope not lol!!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if your own current preferences vary somewhat in the future!
wink.gif

But all that really matters at the end of the day is that each of us can hopefully find the magic combination of equipment that provides what brings us the most joy...and I'm glad that you too are now happy with the tubes that are just right for yourself. And now, just like me, you will have to try and erase from your mind those oft-quoted words from folks who've been in this game far longer than we ourselves......IT NEVER ENDS!!!...CHEERS!, mon ami...

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #7,926 of 11,833

You just did, and now I'm stuck with a very soggy parade and a bunch of worthless EL11/12s. Don't you realize parades are off limits????
eek.gif

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #7,928 of 11,833
And @UntilThen, just for good old times sake:

After I finish listening to this I'm going to smash all my ELL11/12s and throw them in the recycling bag
L3000.gif

Apr 14, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #7,930 of 11,833
  And @UntilThen, just for good old times sake:
After I finish listening to this I'm going to smash all my ELL11/12s and throw them in the recycling bag
L3000.gif

I was looking for 'Don't rain on my parade' in this LP but alas it's not there. However there are many golden tunes there and at $1, it's my best music purchase. Cover and vinyl is still in mint condition. I must visit the record shop more often for such bargains.

I never did question the sonic wonders of the EL tubes. I'm just taking the high road of caution and staying with recommended tubes by FA. However this is for everyone to decide. You have far too many good recommended tubes in your possession. Use them or sell the GECs to me. Yup both 6AS7 and 6080 by GEC. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #7,931 of 11,833
  Hi pct,

Oh no, don't do that! Send them to me - I still enjoy them (until my hearing and taste changes).......

Sorry Mordy. @UntilThen told me that if I sent my 3 pair to him, along with $500, he would convert them all into KR Audio 300B Balloon tubes. So they are already on their way to Australia along with a cashier check. I just dropped them off at a doctor's home who is taking a United Airlines flight to Sydney in the morning. He promised he would take the tubes in the cabin with him to make sure they get there safe.

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/kr-audio-300b-balloon

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #7,932 of 11,833
Originally Posted by UntilThen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I never did question the sonic wonders of the EL tubes. I'm just taking the high road of caution and staying with recommended tubes by FA. However this is for everyone to decide. You have far too many good recommended tubes in your possession. Use them or sell the GECs to me. Yup both 6AS7 and 6080 by GEC. 
bigsmile_face.gif

I'll reserve judgment on the GECs and other non-EL tubes until I get Euforia and it is fully burned in. I doubt I'll be wanting to get rid of any tubes. As to the GECs, my guess is if I did get rid of either pair (highly unlikely), it would probably be the 6AS7Gs, because I think the 6080 is probably a better match with HD800S.

I have a personal hangup about selling tubes. I don't have any way of testing them and don't feel right taking money from someone when I don't really know the condition of the tubes. So in the highly unlikely chance I don't keep either or both pair, I would just send them to you free. Don't hold your breath ))

I do have an unlimited supply of Cactus Candy I'd be happy to sell for the right price.

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #7,934 of 11,833
  Wait, are people abandoning the EL-tubes?

OMG  A voice from the past!!!. Glad to see you are still around)))

The whole EL saga on this thread has been interesting to say the least. I won't speak for others. Some seem concerned about running tubes that are not approved by FA because of warranty issues. But if EL11s are used for drivers and EL12 of EL12a for powers, the heater current is low. There's also been an entire sub-plot involving EL12 spez and adapters for that tube.

For me, I love my EL11-ST/EL12n combo, and I'm sticking with it for now.

Let's us know what has been going on with you ))))

Apr 15, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #7,935 of 11,833

OMG  A voice from the past!!!. Glad to see you are still around)))

The whole EL saga on this thread has been interesting to say the least. I won't speak for others. Some seem concerned about running tubes that are not approved by FA because of warranty issues. But if EL11s are used for drivers and EL12 of EL12a for powers, the heater current is low. There's also been an entire sub-plot involving EL12 spez and adapters for that tube.

For me, I love my EL11-ST/EL12n combo, and I'm sticking with it for now.

Let's us know what has been going on with you ))))

I actually just got my Elise back. A local guy has been trying it out for some time to see if he liked it.  Haven't really done much rolling lately because I've been busy with so much other stuff. Have considered getting a pair of Psvane though.. hmm...

Good to see ya'll still hanging out here 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back