Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Feb 1, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #5,941 of 11,833
Unfortunately the Visseaux must have been damaged in transit because they crackle and break up in one channel of the headphones. I haven't used them since.

I know this has been discussed countless times but is there a good driver tube pair under $50 and accessible that would give more clarity up top but still maintain a powerful bass punch?

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #5,942 of 11,833
Unfortunately the Visseaux must have been damaged in transit because they crackle and break up in one channel of the headphones. I haven't used them since.

I know this has been discussed countless times but is there a good driver tube pair under $50 and accessible that would give more clarity up top but still maintain a powerful bass punch?

Most definitely the Tungsram E80CC or RCA 12AV7, uses the 12AV7 adapter. Search impressions on recent pages. Gotta run

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #5,944 of 11,833
Hi LaCuffia,

Before you give up on the Visseux tubes, did you try to switch sockets? Sometimes the contact needs something.

Next, did you clean the pins? A gentle scraping with a pen knife or similar may do the trick.

If the tube really is defective, the seller should back it up (or PayPal/eBay).

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #5,945 of 11,833
Hi Howie13,

Before I describe my adapters, I may need a little help.

The 6N7 needs an ECC31 to ECC32 adapter to be used as a driver in the Elise. Do you need this adapter to use it as a power tube? In my trial I used it without, but I can't figure out if it is needed in the power tube socket.

Anybody?

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #5,946 of 11,833
@Lacuffia: I recognize the symptoms you describe with 6N7G. The tubes themselves may well be ok. Some Elise owners, including myself, just have no luck with these as drivers (whether Visseaux or Fivre or..,). I think they represent a borderline between on-spec and off-spec for Elise. It also depends on the pairing with power tubes. In my case, I get the best result with the stock Russian powers. Did you try that combo?

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #5,947 of 11,833
Hi Howie13,

Before I describe my adapters, I may need a little help.

The 6N7 needs an ECC31 to ECC32 adapter to be used as a driver in the Elise. Do you need this adapter to use it as a power tube? In my trial I used it without, but I can't figure out if it is needed in the power tube socket.

Anybody?
Carefull Mordy. You need ECC31 to ECC33! adapters. Regardless if you put the 6N7 in the front or back sockets.

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #5,948 of 11,833

Are there other positions?
tongue.gif

Well, pct, I do believe traditionally "swinging from the chandelier" has been associated with moments of pure bliss lol!!
wink_face.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
...but I personally wouldn't know about such things!...
confused_face_2.gif
...(or if I ever did, I've long since forgotten about them...
redface.gif
...). My advice stands....!!!
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #5,949 of 11,833
Thanks for suggestion regarding Visseaux issues. Will try them out.

I got them from Spork67 and he was already generous with providing other tubes so it was no issue for me if they didn't work. If further attempts to use them are unsuccessful that's perfectly fine. It doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the Elise.

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #5,950 of 11,833
Hey @LaCuffia, just a quick observation...with an amp the quality of Elise, why skimp on the drivers lol? I personally can never really understand the reasoning behind these desires...even though I myself have been guilty of this in the past (but admittedly with an inferior amp!) - hence a whole pile of tubes in the attic I can't even be bothered to put on ebay, alas!!
wink_face.gif
redface.gif
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #5,953 of 11,833
Too bad you don't have the Z1R to run it with the Elise. I think it's a great combo. It runs against conventional wisdom to pair a headphone with a warmer sound signature with a tube amp but I think the Elise is on par with the Sony TA ZH1ES, at least for my turntable set up. I might be returning the TA actually. That's how good the Elise is.

Yes I would like to see how the Z1R sounds on the elise.  Though I do have to wonder - I've heard that the Elise works nicely with lower impedance cans as well, but with an output Z of around 40 the damping factor would definitely be something to consider.  I'll probably measure when I've the time, but so far have you heard any characteristic problems of an impedance mismatch with the Z1R?

Also, I didn't quite get around to a full-on review of the TA-ZH1ES, but I do find that a multibit DAC with the Elise made a far more lasting impression than the Sony DAC/Amp.  Sort of smooths out the characteristic exaggerated sound of multibit.  The result being, excellent.  Not to come to a sweeping generalization, but FPGA sound hasn't always worked for me.  

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #5,954 of 11,833
Thanks for suggestion regarding Visseaux issues. Will try them out.

I got them from Spork67 and he was already generous with providing other tubes so it was no issue for me if they didn't work. If further attempts to use them are unsuccessful that's perfectly fine. It doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the Elise.

The Visseaux worked fine when I had them. Might be something as simple as a socket switch for them to work again. They sounded good and looked beautiful, bit I preferred the EL3N in the drivers seat. Please don't use your Z1R's while troubleshooting those tubes! Just in case - I'd feel awful if a dicky tube cooked your cans.

Too bad you don't have the Z1R to run it with the Elise. I think it's a great combo. It runs against conventional wisdom to pair a headphone with a warmer sound signature with a tube amp but I think the Elise is on par with the Sony TA ZH1ES, at least for my turntable set up. I might be returning the TA actually. That's how good the Elise is.

Yes I would like to see how the Z1R sounds on the elise.  Though I do have to wonder - I've heard that the Elise works nicely with lower impedance cans as well, but with an output Z of around 40 the damping factor would definitely be something to consider.  I'll probably measure when I've the time, but so far have you heard any characteristic problems of an impedance mismatch with the Z1R?

Also, I didn't quite get around to a full-on review of the TA-ZH1ES, but I do find that a multibit DAC with the Elise made a far more lasting impression than the Sony DAC/Amp.  Sort of smooths out the characteristic exaggerated sound of multibit.  The result being, excellent.  Not to come to a sweeping generalization, but FPGA sound hasn't always worked for me.  

When I first got Elise I was using even lower (25ohm) z HPs. They were "out of spec." (32-600ohm) but FA assured me they would work fine and not cause (or be) damaged.
The sounded great with Elise, much better than they did on mt SS amp. Although they weren't in the same league as the T1's.
Elise has the flexibility of a teenage girl gymnast, both in the tubes she can use and the HPs she can drive.

Feb 1, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #5,955 of 11,833
Hey Spork67...nice to hear from you! I actually got the Visseaux to work today by cleaning them up and switching adapters. It definitely offers a brighter sound. I'll have to give it some more time to adjust to the change though. Bass is a bit less pronounced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back