Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Dec 18, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #4,171 of 11,833
@pctazhp I'll start wih an old favorite done new, it was very popular with the troops in 'Nam ...

And this is just for me,without my wife for the first Christmas....

But my favorite is...soft,quiet, respectful of those that have gone before and those present, we are but a wisp in time, we all be a memory someday, good to have traveled the road with you.......

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #4,172 of 11,833
  I like what I'm hearing with c3g and 5998 on T1 too. Clarity, details and punch. It's still on my Elise now. I'm interested to hear EL11 and 5998 combo. @HOWIE13 did you try it?

Incidentally this is the pair I bought last night. 

Hi UT...knew you couldn't resist lol!!
wink_face.gif
. Look forward to how you find them compared to the EL3N - methinks this is going to prove a very interesting exercise...especially as there are EL11s that have the oval plates of the 3N, and others (which appear to be of Telefunken's design) that have even larger, purely round ones. The obviously extremely rare mesh plates seem to be of the oval design, so I suspect there will be a fair range of differences between them all, even if only subtle...(just to confuse matters even further LOL!!
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
).

With examples of them all, it looks like I've a good few Midnight sessions ahead!!
confused_face.gif
biggrin.gif
...as have you @HOWIE13, I suspect!!

So that is who won them.  I was looking at some on Ebay, but could not find any mention of mesh plates. And with the solid grey paint I could not see inside them.
Let us know what you think of them.  Prices are getting up there so someone is buying them up.

Hi cf. Given it appears only the Philips stable, eg. the Australian EL3NG and certain old Valvo EL11 have the mesh plates (ie. with oval ones), I doubt there ever will be mention of them...I myself haven't yet managed to find any mention of them at all anywhere else...(surely there must be a Centenarian or two out there who has had hands-on experience of these tubes lol?!!
wink_face.gif
).

Have a horrible feeling the availability of relatively cheap very good to strong EL11s will change pretty darned soon, alas!
eek.gif
wink.gif

UT:  Very nice video and song. Thanks.

As for my Christmas songs, most of my stash consists of songs sung by people everyone has heard a million times, and I already clutter up this thread enough. Will post if I find something I think is special))) Maybe I can find a Christmas Flying Saucer video
biggrin.gif

Been having a lot of fun with my new found love for the C3G drivers. Using them right now with Bendix 6080 with great results.

Also, really like Time for Us. You have great taste in music )))

Really glad you're finding the C3g suits your system and ears, pct - when it does, I truly believe there are very few drivers on the planet that can match this wonderful tube...(as I must have said X thousand times before, so, sorry for the repetition lol!!
L3000.gif
).

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #4,173 of 11,833
  @pctazhp I'll start wih an old favorite done new, it was very popular with the troops in 'Nam ...

And this is just for me,without my wife for the first Christmas....

But my favorite is...soft,quiet, respectful of those that have gone before and those present, we are but a wisp in time, we all be a memory someday, good to have traveled the road with you.......

CF:  Beautiful songs. I certainly remember the first one from my 'Nam days. On Christmas Eve, 1970, I saw the Bob Hope Christmas show at Freedom Hill in DaNang. My heart was in Arizona.

The second one is very touching. I know this must be a difficult time for you, and I'm sure all of us have you in mind this Christmas season.

Have always loved Mannheim Steamroller. I was lucky enough to see their Christmas show at the Scottsdale Civic Plaza many years ago.

This is the best one I've been able to come up with for now. Rockefeller Center isn't exactly Bethlehem, but it is a pretty magical place at Christmas time.

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #4,174 of 11,833
This isn't Christmas, but was another favorite of the troops in Nam. Sorry if this sounds nationalistic, but I always think of our troops on Christmas and all of those and their families who have sacrificed so much for us.

Dec 18, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #4,175 of 11,833
I'm afraid that after more than 20 hours' burning of the c3g, I still don't like the sound. Quite ear-piercing to be honest. Although there is no sharp sibilance in the treble, the high is not refined. I would say the image presentation is good indeed out of c3g.

Maybe because my exasound e12 dac doesn't match up with c3g's sonic sounding. 

Unfortunately, I will unplug c3gs and keep them collecting dust.
frown.gif

Back to EL3N now.

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #4,176 of 11,833
Well the RCA 12AV7 would be sure to solve the piercing treble of the C3G's. After trying at least six pairs of miniature tubes including C3G, to me these are the undisputed leader of all drivers for the Elise, with unmatched neutrality and perfection in every aspect, even leaving my $100+ 6SN7's to collect dust. They are crisp, smooth, detailed, linear, multilayered, snappy, articulate, well extended and even somewhat front row which works with almost any genre, especially analogue era recordings. One can likely get the same sound out of an RCA 12AU7, 12AX7 or 12AZ7 which differ only by gain factor.

Also I just found an amazing bargain for a great looking pair right now, for only 1/2 what I paid for mine:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371810595823

You would just need these adapters, which are also a great value because they enable you to try many 12A_7 driver tubes - for me I've only tried two types and loved both on the Elise

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #4,178 of 11,833
  I'm afraid that after more than 20 hours' burning of the c3g, I still don't like the sound. Quite ear-piercing to be honest. Although there is no sharp sibilance in the treble, the high is not refined. I would say the image presentation is good indeed out of c3g.

frown.gif

Back to EL3N now.

To my ears the C3g gets it's great rhythmic qualities from its strong upper mid and treble response, combined with tight, clear bass. Depending on your music that can be good or not so good.

They don't suit a Classical string quartet as the violins sound too vibrant and the balance with the viola and cello may be lost, the music losing integrity and realism.

However, with lively choral music or larger scale Baroque instrumental and vocals they excel for me.

I've just listened to my CD of Stokowski's recording of the Polovtsian Dances with them, paired with 4 pack -magnificent sound.

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #4,180 of 11,833
  Four pack - quad EL3N with EL11?

By '4 pack' I just mean dual EL3N's per power socket, and in this case the drivers were Siemens C3g's, demonstrating to Louisxiawei just one example of the music I find C3g drivers work very well with.
I'm giving my EL11/12's a rest today-don't want to wear them out.
biggrin.gif

Did you listen to the vid? The ending will sure wake you up for the day.

EDIT: Oh sorry, just realised it's bedtime where you are-well don't listen until the morning otherwise you won't sleep with excitement!

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #4,181 of 11,833

Hi UT...knew you couldn't resist lol!!
wink_face.gif
. Look forward to how you find them compared to the EL3N - methinks this is going to prove a very interesting exercise...

CJ, I am so over tube rolling now. I have many favourite combos. I just find them different and interesting. There are no bad sounding tubes, not even the stock tubes... just variations. I see this being echoed by a few others too. Pct, CF, Mordy, Howie.

Telefunken EL11 will be the last driver I'll buy. I know, I know, you're laughing now when I say last. I won't try all the variations of EL11. Not that die hard anymore. Might give the EL12 a go at a later stage but I'm in no hurry. 

After Howie's review, I'm just wondering whether the Telefunken EL11 is anywhere close in sound to FDD20. That I am very curious to know. Howie has not heard the FDD20 so he can't tell me that but you can tell me that. So I'm awaiting your report.
bigsmile_face.gif
  IMO FDD20 is the best sounding driver for my ears but using external power supply just kills it for me.

Mrs. Xu Ling just send out the EL11 adapters. Will see how long it takes to get here.

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #4,182 of 11,833

I've just listened to my CD of Stokowski's recording of the Polovtsian Dances with them, paired with 4 pack -magnificent sound.

I've just listened to this with EL3N and 7236 (which is my standard combo these days) and Polovtsian Dances sounds great. I bet if I use light bulbs, it would have sounded magnificent too. 

It's just a very stirring music. Love it.

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #4,183 of 11,833
CF, 3 beautiful videos songs from you. You are as popular as Banjo Paterson now... you know Banjo? The guy who wrote Waltzing Matilda. 

You can listen to Waltzing Matilda at 6:41 of this video but you might as well listen to all the great Australian songs by the Seekers.

Btw I'll be with you in spirit on Christmas Day. Thanks again for all the Mannheim Steamrollers LPs.

Dec 19, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #4,184 of 11,833
@untilthen I thank you and others for thèir salutations, it is really appreciated. My online "family" has given me a lot of support and has kept me away from staring down the abyss. I look forward to reading your thoughts and interested in the reportae of certain members. I really like the personal touchs that are interspersed with information. Ut,pct,h1 I can not thank you enough, you have indeed made a positive difference in my life and have helped me through this very trying time, nothing could prepare me for this, but your friendship has helped to smooth out the rough seas, THANK YOU all! Cf

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #4,185 of 11,833

frown.gif

Back to EL3N now.

You are not alone in your experience with the c3gs. And you certainly are not alone in owning tubes that collect dust. It's almost mandatory for participation on this thread.
rolleyes.gif
Here in Arizona even my dust collects dust
blink.gif

I doubt the issue is with your DACs. Maybe more an issue of headphones. I think c3g as an Elise driver probably works better with Sennheiser HD800S than Beyer T1, but that's mainly speculation on my part.

Happy EL3N listening
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back