Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Dec 16, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #4,111 of 11,833
Hi folks, it's been a really busy week for me. No time to post. 
biggrin.gif

Elise thread must go on though and I see you've already started on trialling EL11 and possibly EL12. All the best to you @HOWIE13. Safe tube rolling.

@hypnos1  all the best to you too as your Elise Mk2 gets closer to you.

As for me, I've not touched Elise for 5 days !!! That's a first for me. Now powering it on again for the first time in 5 days, I'm gobsmacked at how ear tingling it sounds. Such lovely music it is making.
beyersmile.png
 No wonder you guys are calling it 'your' Elise. Well this is 'my' Elise. 
etysmile.gif

Take care all... until then.  

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #4,112 of 11,833
biggrin.gif

Elise thread must go on though and I see you've already started on trialling EL11 and possibly EL12. All the best to you @HOWIE13. Safe tube rolling.

As for me, I've not touched Elise for 5 days !!! That's a first for me. Now powering it on again for the first time in 5 days, I'm gobsmacked at how ear tingling it sounds. Such lovely music it is making.
beyersmile.png
etysmile.gif

Nice to hear from you UT...hope the "busy week" has topped up the pension pot, rather than empty it lol!!
wink_face.gif

Gobsmacked after just 5 days?...just imagine 3 months!
eek.gif
...will I be able to handle the shock come Monday?...(shall do my best - all in the line of duty!
biggrin.gif
).

Hope you can keep popping in as and when you can...your absence is always much noticed and regretted LOL!
redface.gif
...CHEERS!...

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #4,113 of 11,833
biggrin.gif

beyersmile.png
etysmile.gif

Hi UT, good to hear from you.
So far no damage to Elise from the EL11/12. Thanks for your good wishes. Will report back soon. Continue to enjoy Elise. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #4,114 of 11,833
MY C3G arrived today! Am I the first one to try the C3G + GEC 6AS7G combo on Elise? 
rolleyes.gif

Impression: In short: I prefer EL3N with GEC 6AS7. Feeling that C3G is pulling holy grail's leg. 

The overall sound is a bit sharp for me, also dynamic is grainy. Guess I will use C3G with stock 6H13C.

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #4,115 of 11,833

Nice to hear from you UT...hope the "busy week" has topped up the pension pot, rather than empty it lol!!
wink_face.gif

Gobsmacked after just 5 days?...just imagine 3 months!
eek.gif
...will I be able to handle the shock come Monday?...(shall do my best - all in the line of duty!
biggrin.gif
).

Hope you can keep popping in as and when you can...your absence is always much noticed and regretted LOL!
redface.gif
...CHEERS!...

3 months without Elise? Well be prepared for 7.3 Richter scale earthquake when you first fire up the 'upgraded' Elise. My eyes will keep popping in to see your report.
beyersmile.png

Remember to give us the low down on recommended tubes and unofficial tubes, on how it sounds in the new Elise.

Hi UT, good to hear from you.
So far no damage to Elise from the EL11/12. Thanks for your good wishes. Will report back soon. Continue to enjoy Elise. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Looking forward to EL12 performance as power tubes and EL11 / EL3N differences if any, as drivers. Cheers Howie. Take your time.

... and as H1 says, the mandatory photoshoot. 
L3000.gif

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #4,116 of 11,833
  MY C3G arrived today! Am I the first one to try the C3G + GEC 6AS7G combo on Elise? 
rolleyes.gif

Impression: In short: I prefer EL3N with GEC 6AS7. Feeling that C3G is pulling holy grail's leg. 

The overall sound is a bit sharp for me, also dynamic is grainy. Guess I will use C3G with stock 6H13C.

Well done Louis. Those C3G looks new. Now you have a wider selection of tubes and you will start to appreciate having Elise as a tube amp. 

Remember too that new tubes needs burn-in which could alter the sound.... and your ears of course. 
beyersmile.png

Personally I think the gec 6as7g looks better without the socket savers. It's looking too tall with it.

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #4,117 of 11,833
  3 months without Elise? Well be prepared for 7.3 Richter scale earthquake when you first fire up the 'upgraded' Elise. My eyes will keep popping in to see your report.
beyersmile.png

Remember to give us the low down on recommended tubes and unofficial tubes, on how it sounds in the new Elise.

Looking forward to EL12 performance as power tubes and EL11 / EL3N differences if any, as drivers. Cheers Howie. Take your time.

... and as H1 says, the mandatory photoshoot. 
L3000.gif

LOL- Let's hope my tube evaluation is better than my photography. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #4,118 of 11,833
rolleyes.gif

I really like the C3Gs with the GEC powers - maybe even prefer to EL3Ns. As much as I like EL3Ns, I have never been completely comfortable with them. It may be my HD800S. I have speculated in the past that the EL3Ns running as drivers in Elise may add a little too much 2nd order harmonic distortion for the S, which already has a little 2nd order harmonic distortion intentionally added to boost the bass. The bass with the C3Gs is strong, but better controlled than with the EL3N.

I understand your comment about "sharp" with the C3G, but in my system it isn't a problem for me. Also, I would echo @UntilThen comment about giving tubes a chance to burn in before reaching any final conclusion.

Happy listening
beyersmile.png

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #4,119 of 11,833
  I really like the C3Gs with the GEC powers - maybe even prefer to EL3Ns. As much as I like EL3Ns, I have never been completely comfortable with them. It may be my HD800S. I have speculated in the past that the EL3Ns running as drivers in Elise may add a little too much 2nd order harmonic distortion for the S, which already has a little 2nd order harmonic distortion intentionally added to boost the bass. The bass with the C3Gs is strong, but better controlled than with the EL3N.

I understand your comment about "sharp" with the C3G, but in my system it isn't a problem for me. Also, I would echo @UntilThen comment about giving tubes a chance to burn in before reaching any final conclusion.

Happy listening
beyersmile.png

I did think that a brighter driver might suit your HD800S better. So I'm not surprised if you did like the C3G and gec 6as7g combo more.

The first ever combo I heard on 'my' Elise is Lorenz c3g and Tung Sol 5998 with HD650. That elicited this response.

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #4,120 of 11,833
  I did think that a brighter driver might suit your HD800S better. So I'm not surprised if you did like the C3G and gec 6as7g combo more.

The first ever combo I heard on 'my' Elise is Lorenz c3g and Tung Sol 5998 with HD650. That elicited this response.

I remember that from one of our earlier discussions.

Picture absolutely cracks me up
jecklinsmile.gif

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #4,121 of 11,833

Happy listening
beyersmile.png

Thanks pctazhp, I will give it a burn and see what happens. 

Well done Louis. Those C3G looks new. Now you have a wider selection of tubes and you will start to appreciate having Elise as a tube amp. 

Remember too that new tubes needs burn-in which could alter the sound.... and your ears of course. 
beyersmile.png

Personally I think the gec 6as7g looks better without the socket savers. It's looking too tall with it.

Hey UT. You are right, GEC 6AS7G is too tall indeed. But the GEC 6AS7G was plugged into the socket saver so tight that it cannot be easily unplugged. So I just leave it be. 
tongue.gif

I do hear a little occasional hum when using GEC 6AS7G with socket saver, guess I just need to make some effort to unplug the holy grail and let it shine on it own.  Also thanks to you for the recommendation of C3G. I will run a bit longer and hope the sound will get better.

Cheers!

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #4,123 of 11,833
BTW, @UntilThen, C3G is what led me to Elise. Back in my Little Dot IV days I talked to @hypnos1 about a C3G adapter before Mrs. X built hers, and the rest is history
happy_face1.gif

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #4,124 of 11,833
How come the girl has the watch on her right hand is that an Aussie thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back