Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Dec 15, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #4,066 of 11,833
  @pctazhp, you can be that old
eek.gif

@hypnos1, the Colombard/Char blend is one that a friend had me try a few months ago, interesting wine but like you I'm more of a Cab/Merlot/Pinot person.

David:  Don't believe anything I say. I don't even really exist. I'm really just the invention of a mad scientist with a very warped sense of humor
triportsad.gif

Dec 15, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #4,067 of 11,833

Yes, I hope to come. Only catch is there is a family wedding around then so I hope there won't be a clash of dates. . 

Hey H13...Elise comes first around here - they'll just have to change the wedding date lol!!
wink_face.gif
tongue.gif
. But hope to see you there too...
biggrin.gif

@hypnos1, the Colombard/Char blend is one that a friend had me try a few months ago, interesting wine but like you I'm more of a Cab/Merlot/Pinot person.

Obviously a man of impeccable taste must you be...
beerchug.gif

David:  Don't believe anything I say. I don't even really exist. I'm really just the invention of a mad scientist with a very warped sense of humor
triportsad.gif

Hmmm, pct...obviously not Dr. Frankenstein at least lol...thank Heavens!!!
wink_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 15, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #4,068 of 11,833
Well, well guys...guess what I've just discovered - someone has enterprisingly got Mrs Xuling to make an EL11 to 6SN7 adapter (specially for Elise lol?!)....interesting!
wink_face.gif

All I can say is...how dare you possibly beat me to seeing just how they perform?!!!
evil_smiley.gif
...if so, you MUST (or be forever banished!) let us know the good - or not-so-good (
wink.gif
) - news LOL!
darthsmile.gif
...From my less-than-perfect trial through just one channel, I have to say I am mightily impressed...and can't wait to see how the pair perform...(probably next Monday
biggrin.gif
).

So far, while working on adapting them, I have really liked the old, black glass Valvos (late '30s early '40s with number around 100 mark just might get you the mesh-plates, but no guarantees!), and also the grey glass clear top RFT (East German) EL11, which actually appealed to me more than the all-grey Telefunken...although I wasn't able to test the latter properly (horrendously microphonic, to the point where just touching the vol. control or case was extremely disconcerting, and would have been sent straight back in disgust had I not removed the old, loose base lol!).

Anyway, I look forward to hearing results from whomsoever may have stolen my thunder...but I forgive you!!
L3000.gif
...CHEERS!...CJ

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #4,069 of 11,833
  Well, well guys...guess what I've just discovered - someone has enterprisingly got Mrs Xuling to make an EL11 to 6SN7 adapter (specially for Elise lol?!)....interesting!
wink_face.gif

All I can say is...how dare you possibly beat me to seeing just how they perform?!!!
evil_smiley.gif
...if so, you MUST (or be forever banished!) let us know the good - or not-so-good (
wink.gif
) - news LOL!
darthsmile.gif
...From my less-than-perfect trial through just one channel, I have to say I am mightily impressed...and can't wait to see how the pair perform...(probably next Monday
biggrin.gif
).

So far, while working on adapting them, I have really liked the old, black glass Valvos (late '30s early '40s with number around 100 mark just might get you the mesh-plates, but no guarantees!), and also the grey glass clear top RFT (East German) EL11, which actually appealed to me more than the all-grey Telefunken...although I wasn't able to test the latter properly (horrendously microphonic, to the point where just touching the vol. control or case was extremely disconcerting, and would have been sent straight back in disgust had I not removed the old, loose base lol!).

Anyway, I look forward to hearing results from whomsoever may have stolen my thunder...but I forgive you!!
L3000.gif
...CHEERS!...CJ

Okay-it was me,
wink_face.gif
but I've not assessed the tubes yet and won't post until you have had an opportunity to assess them properly yourself.
You can also use EL12 tubes with the same adapter. They have double the gain of EL3N/EL11 tubes, I gather.

Now I'm taking a long vacation.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #4,070 of 11,833

Okay-it was me,
wink_face.gif
but I've not assessed the tubes yet and won't post until you have had an opportunity to assess them properly yourself.
You can also use EL12 tubes with the same adapter. They have double the gain of EL3N/EL11 tubes, I gather.

Interesting that her Ebay add specifically says it is made for Elise.
wink_face.gif

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #4,072 of 11,833

Okay-it was me,
wink_face.gif

Aha, H13....William Wallace rides again lol!!
wink_face.gif

What can I say but...WELL DONE!!
biggrin.gif
. And as for waiting for me...NO WAY!...I want your impressions now!!
tongue.gif
...1. So that we guys can steal a march on others who are undoubtedly watching from the sidelines (assuming you give the green light!). 2. So that I can investigate if any possible weaknesses are also present when driving the new amp.

So please, forego the long vacation and GET TESTING!!  Plus, don't forget the obligatory photos lol! (By the way, which EL11s have you got, exactly?)....CHEERS!...
beerchug.gif

Re. the EL12, I have been wondering about those - as powers. But the prices are too high for me, on the whole. And wonder just how they'd be in a circuit designed for the 6AS7G - a rather high plate current draw perhaps?

Edit...But then, triode-strapped does halve the figure, and the EL3N runs so unbelievably cool!!

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #4,073 of 11,833
Hi everybody
Still learning from you all (till the end of my days)
after laughing about your truly good sense of humor, let me ask something regarding EL3n and 6f8g Tung Sol as drivers with glorious MOV 6as7g. After 2 months with those Tung Sol now I refresh with a pair of EL3n and I found these later less than good regarding ts 6f8g. I found less stage hf somehow unveil midrange a little bit closed in the Philips, drums not so quick as well. Had my ears getting even more older than I really am? like some opinions from gurus
have good listenings
Have ALL a wonderful Christmas

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #4,075 of 11,833
Hi everybody
Still learning from you all (till the end of my days)
after laughing about your truly good sense of humor, let me ask something regarding EL3n and 6f8g Tung Sol as drivers with glorious MOV 6as7g. After 2 months with those Tung Sol now I refresh with a pair of EL3n and I found these later less than good regarding ts 6f8g. I found less stage hf somehow unveil midrange a little bit closed in the Philips, drums not so quick as well. Had my ears getting even more older than I really am? like some opinions from gurus
have good listenings
Have ALL a wonderful Christmas

Hi f-r.

I personally suspect it's down to synergy with the rest of your system...especially the headphones - LCD XCs, I think?...(perhaps!
wink_face.gif
).

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #4,076 of 11,833
Hi gents,

Hope you are doing well and ready for the festive joy. 

My HIFI-TUNING fuse arrived two days ago. As you can see from the pictures: three types: T400 mA 630mA (those two are for my sbooster linear power supply) and one 1.6A for my Elise.

In order to justify it will work on Elise, I only swapped Elise fuse with HIFI tuning one without changing my linear power supply's fuses and listen to it for two days.

Although Lukasz told me in the email that HIFI fuse in their opinion is a snake oil and @hypnos1 told me there is not too much difference in SQ after he replaced the stock fuse with his own upgraded ones.

I can positively confirm that there is an obvious improvement in Elise when I use HiFi-Tuning Supreme³ Fuse. The improvement is immediate, solid and WOW.

More transparent sound, better instrumental separation and much better dynamic performance. The overall sound is significantly smoother, cleaner, shaper in a good way. 

Thus, I challenge all previous comment regarding the "snake-oil"  fuse tuning. Please do try and feel what I hear.

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #4,077 of 11,833
Perhaps part of what you heard was because when you pulled old fuse, it cleaned off the terminals so new fuse made better contact?

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #4,078 of 11,833
  Perhaps part of what you heard was because when you pulled old fuse, it cleaned off the terminals so new fuse made better contact?I'

I'm afraid that is not the case. I took the original fuse out for checking information several times and don't think fuse terminals are dirty and cleaning off will give such SQ improvment.

I would say: practice speaks the loudest. 35 euro won't cost you a fortune and if it doesn't impress you like what I said, you can then challenge me back. 

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #4,079 of 11,833
  I'm afraid that is not the case. I took the original fuse out for checking information several times and don't think fuse terminals are dirty and cleaning off will give such SQ improvment.

I would say: practice speaks the loudest. 35 euro won't cost you a fortune and if it doesn't impress you like what I said, you can then challenge me back. 

Hi Louis

Is this the sort of fuse you bought?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hi-FI-Tuning-20mm-x-5mm-Fuse-1-6A-T-Gold-/232091043932?hash=item3609b4485c:g:4d8AAOxy-j9SOzEa

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #4,080 of 11,833
  Hi Louis

Is this the sort of fuse you bought?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hi-FI-Tuning-20mm-x-5mm-Fuse-1-6A-T-Gold-/232091043932?hash=item3609b4485c:g:4d8AAOxy-j9SOzEa

Hey HOWIE,

No, it's the one called HiFi-Tuning Supreme³. It's the one in black colour. Unfortunately, the official HIFI-TUNING UK reseller (analogueseduction) doesn't have T1.6A model so you have to go to kempe shop to buy the fuse shipped from Netherlands. 

http://www.kempelektroniksshop.nl/accessories/hifi-tuning-audio-grade-fuses/hifi-tuning-audio-grade-fuses-101.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back