Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Nov 29, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #3,676 of 11,833
  had one set of 6922 tubes gave off some odor but it went away after a few hours, could be a coating burning off.  If you got some time I would like to meet up, I'm retired so I have quite a lot of free time but I still do some side jobs running engineering projects and bartend/cook every now and then.

That's probably what it is. I'm just a total noob when it comes to anything tube. I figured that you must be retired by the description of your day, lol. Just didn't want to assume. Meeting up sounds great, but we should probably start using PM, so we don't annoy anyone else with our talk story

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #3,677 of 11,833
  I think what Elise has done for me is introduce me to really good HiFi, with the help of these treads of course.

I didn't realise how good audio could sound through headphones before Elise-but unless I were to take a leap of faith and purchase some of the very expensive GEC/Bendix tubes I don't think I will hear anything better with Elise than with the tubes I already have.

Again a lot of truths in this. I'm agreeing with you more and more. We could be close cousins Howie.

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #3,678 of 11,833

I was playing music, I just wasn't listening to it...had to get some work done today after all, lol. and I was sitting right next to it.

But it's probably the new tube smell as @Oskari and you mention. And only weird as in "never smelled before" and lingering. And I run a lab...so I'm not unfamiliar with "unusual" smells
biggrin.gif

I hope you're not Dr Frankenstein. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #3,680 of 11,833

That's probably what it is. I'm just a total noob when it comes to anything tube. I figured that you must be retired by the description of your day, lol. Just didn't want to assume. Meeting up sounds great, but we should probably start using PM, so we don't annoy anyone else with our talk story

You must have lived in Hawaii for a while if you know "talk story"
biggrin.gif

I'm on my way out right now so I'll send a PM later when I get home or tomorrow some time, have a great evening.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #3,681 of 11,833

I'm mostly using the 5998's, for drivers currently the EL3N, but yes, the visseaux have a lovely soft, warm tone when I just want music to wrap me up and comfort me.

You have great drivers and power tube already. I don't think you'll need more to enjoy Elise. There are quite a few on the previous thread that feels happy with EL3N or 6N7G and 5998 combo. I love it too.

7236 is probably the only tube I'm still interested in trying - but not at the going rate. If I find some for really cheap I'll give them a shot. Same goes for other exotica - ie: mesh plate anything-that-will-fit (into standard sockets or the adapters I already own) or a [air of HD800.
I really think with the tubes I already have I'm getting about as much out of Elise as I can. If I spend much more on HP's / amps it will probably be spent on upgrading my STAX gear. But to get significant gains over what I already have would take a significant outlay also.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #3,682 of 11,833

I really think with the tubes I already have I'm getting about as much out of Elise as I can. 

Absolutely. A good combo will stand the test of time. About a year ago, I share these 3 combos.

EL3N and 5998
Visseaux 6N7G and 5998
Fivre 6N7G brown base and 5998.

I'm still of the opinion that these sound really good even with later tubes arrival. I can see differing views of 5998 here but I'm still of the opinion that it's a real benchmark tube. I really think it's a power tube with a lot of flair and excitement :)

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #3,683 of 11,833
I'm using Mazda 6N7G which is really the same as Visseaux 6N7G. Been using it for the whole of today with 5998. 

It's really good with Dire Straits. I'm listening to it on LP now.

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #3,684 of 11,833
Hi UT,

Is this what you meant?

"The thing you have to realise about these amps is that they are not designed to blow your head off. At this level of audio goodness, what you’re getting is access to parts of the music you simply didn’t realise were there. When musicians record a song, there is so much that they lay down that never makes it through to the listener’s ears under most circumstances. A combination of audio compression, dodgy sources like smartphones, and low quality headphones mean that a lot of the detail is removed. That simply isn’t the case here. Sure, you’re paying your $6800 four exquisitely crafted design and superb build, but really, that money is for the purchase of a key that unlocks your music.

Unlock Code

As long as you’re listening from a good source, like a decent turntable, a high resolution stream, or a CD, then you’re going to get everything. Absolutely everything. You are going to hear every single nuance of every single note, every breath the singer makes. The tiniest shifting from foot to foot by the guitar player will be recorded. You can take a song you’ve heard a million times, a song you swear you know back to front, and you’ll discover new parts of it. The sounds will be richer, more full, the textures more prevalent. Comparing something like the Blue Hawaii SE to smartphone audio is like comparing a burger from McDonald’s and a burger from Heston Blumenthal. They’re still technically the same product, but we know which one we’re shelling out for.
This is an amp that you’ll be spending quiet hours with. It’s an amp that will make you want to put away your phone, unplug your WiFi, find a comfortable space to sit, get a really, really good bottle of bourbon, maybe even a cigar…and just listen. If you dig into the badly-written hell that is the audiophile internet, you can extract treatise after treatise about how the dynamic character of the sound isn’t quite as neutral as that one amp the writer listened to at THE in ’82, and how it would be dramatically improved by swapping out the tubes for a Manley XL57B amp with a carbo-loaded turbo-driver, or whatever, but really: this amp is incredible. You would have to be the most pernickety, pedantic, detail-obsessed, moustachioed Gradgrind  to not admit that."

Funny, I thought I was reading about the Elise.....

Fantastic. This is it!!!

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #3,685 of 11,833
  @connieflyer and @Spork67 are you still spinning this Visseaux 6N7G and 5998 combo? A real dynamite. On a scale of warm and bright, I'd say this is on the bright side of neutral. Sparkling clarity and full body.

Still roll that combo in, but the last few weeks it has been the EL3N's and Raytheon 6080 graphite plates. Have not been able to five these up yet.

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #3,687 of 11,833
I feel so guilty - couldn't find anything I wanted to buy on Black Friday..

Well, I wanted to buy an i7 16GB 2TB PC for $499 ($300 off),  but when I decided it had sold out.

Anyhow, I did the same deliberate impulsive thing as pct and bought a pair of GEC 6AS7, Bendix 6080 and a TS 5998 - should be here soon...

We'll see which one I like the best.......

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #3,688 of 11,833

Well, I wanted to buy an i7 16GB 2TB PC for $499 ($300 off),  but when I decided it had sold out.

Anyhow, I did the same deliberate impulsive thing as pct and bought a pair of GEC 6AS7, Bendix 6080 and a TS 5998 - should be here soon...

Mordy:  I can't tell you what good news this is for me. When the men in white coats come to take me away, I can hope you'll be my padded-cell-mate
L3000.gif

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #3,689 of 11,833

Way to go Mordy. i7 can wait but good tubes can't and if both of you are lock up, I'll bail you out.

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #3,690 of 11,833
  TRUE CLASS ACT: Fivre 6N7G = ECC31 black plates  "with Horn" anno 1942/GEC6AS7G

AND

SOTA headphone stand
beerchug.gif

That would indeed be a true class act. 6N7G and ECC31 are close cousins. There's some similarities in their tone.

The headphone stand looks like the apparatus used in an old western movie, where you turn the handle and blow up the dynamite.

There are 2 6N7Gs on ebay now. A Visseaux and a Fivre brown base. Quite rare for these to show up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back