Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jul 22, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #406 of 11,833
  @DavidA, better keep your head down, with Hurricane Darby heading your way, high winds, high surf, stay safe.

Thanks for the warning, I have my Fiio X3 and X3ii fully charged so I should be okay for a day or two, but will be using XS since its the most efficient.

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #407 of 11,833
I see it is still a tropical storm, figured by time my old fingers got the message out it would have been upgraded to a hurricane!  Good to be prpared, stay dry!

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #408 of 11,833
  Pure Magic
ELISE on Chatham JAN-6AS7G power tubes with Psvane TII Series CV181-Z as drivers listening AMBER RUBARTH -

Sessions from the 17th Ward

Full Moon In Paris

Chesky Records - Binaural+ Series

So your setup looks something like this, f-r?...........

But of course those PsVanes look much better than that in full light, lol!...am sure you can give us a better picture!
wink_face.gif
...(I did enjoy these drivers...).

And your Chathams certainly are a very good choice...Elise definitely brings out the best in both of these tubes...
biggrin.gif
...CHEERS!!

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #409 of 11,833
Mine cleared customs in two days. Sorry to her about yours.

Yes! Poor guy! 37 days...must seem like YEARS, hope it arrives tomorrow!! Sheesh....

thnx, guys.
it will not arrive tomorrow  ... or several days after for that matter.
there is an issue ... perhaps several ... & perhaps not all related to elise itself.
all i know is that it is stuck in a blackhole of sorts.  i think i will ask feliks to intervene via international postal enquiry ... after all our illustrious pm has espoused better trade relations with poland

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #410 of 11,833

thnx, guys.
it will not arrive tomorrow  ... or several days after for that matter.
there is an issue ... perhaps several ... & perhaps not all related to elise itself.
all i know is that it is stuck in a blackhole of sorts.  i think i will ask feliks to intervene via international postal enquiry ... after all our illustrious pm has espoused better trade relations with poland

I wonder what happened because there were a few from Canada who got their Elise through customs without any issues.

I did read of an impending Postal strike but I thought that was called off.

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #411 of 11,833

But of course those PsVanes look much better than that in full light, lol!...am sure you can give us a better picture!
wink_face.gif
...(I did enjoy these drivers...).

And your Chathams certainly are a very good choice...Elise definitely brings out the best in both of these tubes...
biggrin.gif
...CHEERS!!

I did think of buying those drivers more than once but I have far too may drivers now, many of them are amazing in their tone. How would you describe their sound?

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #412 of 11,833
No 2 from John Mayer. I have both Continuum and this album. I really think they are very good. Young and gifted ... then he just kind of retired.

Jul 22, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #413 of 11,833
Well this isn't good news. Two days ago listening to some quiet piano music. Thought I heard a slight hum. Turned off the app turned it back on and still heard the hum did basic troubleshooting including moving Elise to another room and only using the headphones with the power off could still hear the 60 Cycle Hertz hum. Sent a couple of emails to Feliks no reply yet.

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #414 of 11,833
Hello hypnos1
Congratulations on this amp ELISE that we all know that you was one main "makers". I found after many years of listening music (Gaelic, Folk, New Age,and so on) that I have now, a new Cd Collection. Even "red book" witch is not (for some) the ultimate in music standards, I think now I heard new instruments and voices from this old collection.
As we all knows, with a more revealing amp, we have more reveling goods and bads
Do you know "Binaural+ series from Chesky records?
I haven't any commercial interests on this label, but what I can say is this is a new way of recording music

from their web page:
Chesky Records would like to introduce its new Binaural+ Series. Binaural sound has been around for a long time, but until now it was just for headphones and could not be enjoyed on speakers. Our Binaural+ Series recordings sound great on headphones and speakers, and capture the sound of music as you would if you were sitting in front of the band. The Binaural+ Series sessions were recorded in high-resolution 192-kHz/24-bit sound with a special Binaural head (a "dummy" human head with specially calibrated microphones where the ears would be). The headphone market is booming and we think it is important to bring the ultimate in high-resolution sound to this sector of the record business. Now headphone users will hear the same three-dimensional sound and imaging as audiophiles have for the past 25 years with Chesky 

Struggling for new power tubes or/and good drivers is our interest, but good or very good records with less faults are our main and basic objective as well
Because audiophile records are  essential, this is why I mentioned Amber Rubarth and his record Sessions on the 17th yard
Have a good listening session

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #415 of 11,833
Well this isn't good news. Two days ago listening to some quiet piano music. Thought I heard a slight hum. Turned off the app turned it back on and still heard the hum did basic troubleshooting including moving Elise to another room and only using the headphones with the power off could still hear the 60 Cycle Hertz hum. Sent a couple of emails to Feliks no reply yet.

What tubes are you currently using?  have you tried to change the tubes?

Jul 23, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #416 of 11,833
So I've been comparing some closed headphones between the Elise and Liquid Carbon amp. Incidentally the things that always stood out for me were improvements on dynamics / impact, imaging, smoothness, instrument separation and body on the Elise. The two most noticeable differences seem to be dynamics and body, and by body I mean an overall fuller / weightier sound rather than just more bass. And just to think, my Elise isn't even fully burned in yet. And when you compare using open headphones you can also hear amazing improvements with soundstage on the Elise.

I'm a "lucky one" now because my new Elise is flawless 
smily_headphones1.gif

@geetarman49 Wow that is totally unprecedented for your Elise to be stuck in customs that long. Something seems extremely unusual. Yeah better try postal inquiry, perhaps from both you and F.A., or even find creative ways to get ahold of the office processing your Elise. If it's still stuck for several weeks I may recommend asking for a replacement using another shipping method, then returning your 'older' Elise should it ever arrive.

Jul 23, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #417 of 11,833
  So I've been comparing some closed headphones between the Elise and Liquid Carbon amp. Incidentally the things that always stood out for me were improvements on dynamics / impact, imaging, smoothness, instrument separation and body on the Elise. The two most noticeable differences seem to be dynamics and body, and by body I mean an overall fuller / weightier sound rather than just more bass. And just to think, my Elise isn't even fully burned in yet. And when you compare using open headphones you can also hear amazing improvements with soundstage on the Elise.

smily_headphones1.gif

@geetarman49 Wow that is totally unprecedented for your Elise to be stuck in customs that long. Something seems extremely unusual. Yeah better try postal inquiry, perhaps from both you and F.A., or even find creative ways to get ahold of the office processing your Elise. If it's still stuck for several weeks I may recommend asking for a replacement using another shipping method, then returning your 'older' Elise should it ever arrive.

Hey Levi,

Can you send me a PM. I am interested in buying your 6sn7 tubes and adapters. 

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #418 of 11,833
  I wonder what happened because there were a few from Canada who got their Elise through customs without any issues.

I did read of an impending Postal strike but I thought that was called off.

no --- no postal strike yet, but there have been some complaints about slow mail service. 

smily_headphones1.gif

this issue does not reside with postal services; it is cbsa (canada border services agency) which is completely independent from postal services.  so far, i've phoned (no one picks up & leaving a message does not yield a callback), mailed in copies of invoice and payment receipts, as well as faxed --- no response to anything.

i've checked about contacting our postal services but they cannot intervene on behalf of recipient so i'll need to ask feliks to submit an enquiry.

blackhole of kandahar, anyone 
deadhorse.gif
?

Jul 23, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #419 of 11,833
  I did think of buying those drivers more than once but I have far too may drivers now, many of them are amazing in their tone. How would you describe their sound?

Hi UT.

To my shame I haven't got round to reviewing how all my previous favourites compare to the EL3Ns now I have my new tube DAC...the old enemy TIME, alas!... possibly a Winter project.
But I must admit to not really wanting to work these sockets any more than necessary now...they're temperamental enough already!!...(another Winter project is definitely going to be making some pure silver & single-crystal copper inserts for them...or trying to, anyway... I HATE less-than-perfect connections, lol!
wink_face.gif
).

However, as memory is not quite so good these days, I thought I'd just paste in my original impressions from the very first thread   :

As usual, these are findings as per my own setup of course. When I read them once more, I'm further encouraged to see how they perform now...roll on Winter!

I must admit, I wish they were a bit cheaper though!!
tongue.gif

Jul 23, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #420 of 11,833
  Hello hypnos1
Congratulations on this amp ELISE that we all know that you was one main "makers". I found after many years of listening music (Gaelic, Folk, New Age,and so on) that I have now, a new Cd Collection. Even "red book" witch is not (for some) the ultimate in music standards, I think now I heard new instruments and voices from this old collection.
As we all knows, with a more revealing amp, we have more reveling goods and bads
Do you know "Binaural+ series from Chesky records?
I haven't any commercial interests on this label, but what I can say is this is a new way of recording music

from their web page:
Chesky Records would like to introduce its new Binaural+ Series. Binaural sound has been around for a long time, but until now it was just for headphones and could not be enjoyed on speakers. Our Binaural+ Series recordings sound great on headphones and speakers, and capture the sound of music as you would if you were sitting in front of the band. The Binaural+ Series sessions were recorded in high-resolution 192-kHz/24-bit sound with a special Binaural head (a "dummy" human head with specially calibrated microphones where the ears would be). The headphone market is booming and we think it is important to bring the ultimate in high-resolution sound to this sector of the record business. Now headphone users will hear the same three-dimensional sound and imaging as audiophiles have for the past 25 years with Chesky 

Struggling for new power tubes or/and good drivers is our interest, but good or very good records with less faults are our main and basic objective as well
Because audiophile records are  essential, this is why I mentioned Amber Rubarth and his record Sessions on the 17th yard
Have a good listening session

Thanks f-r...to this day I still can't believe Feliks-Audio listened to my plea, lol!!...don't think anyone else would have - and that doesn't bear thinking about!!
redface.gif
L3000.gif

Yes, Elise is a very revealing amp indeed - especially at this price point. It sure does justice to well-recorded material...but certainly shows up shortcomings in what used to be thought of as "good"!! Well mastered CDs continue to amaze me in Elise's hands, but hi-res recordings (not all, however!) can be truly jaw-dropping. Chesky does some great work, but haven't yet got round to the Binaural material...you've prompted me to look into it further...
biggrin.gif
...CHEERS!

ps. Original recording quality is of course of paramount importance, but so too increasingly apparent is...the DAC!!
wink_face.gif
...not to mention headphones...and....!!!!!  HAPPY LISTENING...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back