Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Apr 22, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #11,431 of 11,833
Added a Furman Elite-15 PF i for mains power conditioning, connected my Elise, Matrix DAC and Singxer SU-1. I am absolutely stunned by the audible improvements: lower noise floor, seemingly more volume at lower potentiometer setting, frequencies well-extended extended but presented in context of an organic naturalness and ease. Mids sit forward but not aggressively so (5th row concert hall, not 1st). Instrument definition in the sound space is terrific and I appreciate that intangible sense that all sounds correct. To be sure, these were all characteristics of my chain prior and the overall signature has not fundamentally changed, just enhanced and integrated to perfection and layered cleanly. Perhaps some new toy syndrome but I don't think so. The Furman unit is definitely not a toy, it is solid and clearly purpose built. I am very impressed.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #11,433 of 11,833
Added a Furman Elite-15 PF i for mains power conditioning, connected my Elise, Matrix DAC and Singxer SU-1. I am absolutely stunned by the audible improvements: lower noise floor, seemingly more volume at lower potentiometer setting, frequencies well-extended extended but presented in context of an organic naturalness and ease. Mids sit forward but not aggressively so (5th row concert hall, not 1st). Instrument definition in the sound space is terrific and I appreciate that intangible sense that all sounds correct. To be sure, these were all characteristics of my chain prior and the overall signature has not fundamentally changed, just enhanced and integrated to perfection and layered cleanly. Perhaps some new toy syndrome but I don't think so. The Furman unit is definitely not a toy, it is solid and clearly purpose built. I am very impressed.
Question for the cognizenti on power conditioning, dear @hypnos1 and others: Since installing the Furman as above, I question if I should remove the iFi iGalvanic 3.0, which is inline from my PC USB port to iDefender / iPower then out to iGalvanic 3.0 --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> Elise. As the Furman provides clean power and the Singxer SU-1 does the re-clocking, is there any additional benefit to the iFikit or is it just overcomplicating the chain? My ears so far don't discern a major difference with or without the iFi kit but I wonder if I should follow the "simpler is better" rule?

May 5, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #11,435 of 11,833
Hi Head-fi family, it has been a long time. I am still listening to my Elise with Chord Mojo via Sennheiser HD800. Tubes EL3N and 5998s. What are the latest tubes taking you to the SQ heaven? :) How is ISO going? Thanks

Hello LR. Think I came along a wee while after you took a break. However your tube selection is certainly a good one although I found EL11's suited me better than the EL3N's. TS5998's are certainly up there with the best. Loads has happened over the past year or so tube wise with Clive (H1) leading the way. Tubes that are in vogue at the moment are mainly KT's 66,77 and 88,s with the latest addition being the Russian GU50 which a couple of us are rolling in various configurations. I'm sure one of the long standing members of the thread will reply to your post. Glad your still enjoying the Elise.

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #11,436 of 11,833
Hi Head-fi family, it has been a long time. I am still listening to my Elise with Chord Mojo via Sennheiser HD800. Tubes EL3N and 5998s. What are the latest tubes taking you to the SQ heaven? :) How is ISO going? Thanks
Hi LR, the combo I'm listening to at the moment is EL38 with the EL3N for drivers, it's a great sound, full bodied, deep full bass, yet still lively and detailed, as bt mentioned the EL11 goes very well with the 38 too, the KT's are a recent discovery, the KT88 is nice a power with the KT66/77, or 7581A as drivers, although the 66 as a power and the 7581A is nice too.

May 7, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #11,437 of 11,833
Hello LR. Think I came along a wee while after you took a break. However your tube selection is certainly a good one although I found EL11's suited me better than the EL3N's. TS5998's are certainly up there with the best. Loads has happened over the past year or so tube wise with Clive (H1) leading the way. Tubes that are in vogue at the moment are mainly KT's 66,77 and 88,s with the latest addition being the Russian GU50 which a couple of us are rolling in various configurations. I'm sure one of the long standing members of the thread will reply to your post. Glad your still enjoying the Elise.
Hi barontan2418, wow that's a lot of discovery. Do you need an adapter for KT's? What would be the best combo for the Sennheiser HD800 piercing through my ear drums? :D I am planning to mod it to take the edge off. I am loving it but at high volumes, it is like a razor. Need some help to get the tubes tame it down before I tear it apart. Thanks

May 7, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #11,438 of 11,833
Hi LR, the combo I'm listening to at the moment is EL38 with the EL3N for drivers, it's a great sound, full bodied, deep full bass, yet still lively and detailed, as bt mentioned the EL11 goes very well with the 38 too, the KT's are a recent discovery, the KT88 is nice a power with the KT66/77, or 7581A as drivers, although the 66 as a power and the 7581A is nice too.
Hi Scutey, thanks for the quick rundown. I am listening to headphones in ISO before it was mostly on HiFi. I see I need some new tubes :) I don't know how sourcing has been impacted by the virus. Let's see if some stock is available in the down under. Has there been another release of Elise?

May 7, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #11,439 of 11,833
May 7, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #11,440 of 11,833
H LR, no problem!, there seems to be a reasonable amount of tubes for sale, especially on eBay, might be worth having a look, as for the KT tubes you will need an adpater, here's the link at the bottom. As far a I know there has been no new update of the Elise, I think the latest version is the 2018 version.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-Gold-6L6-7581-instead-6AS7-tube-converter-adapter-For-Elise-Euroria-amp/193142155772?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
Amazing, I am looking at some KT88 tubes on eBay and don't know which one to get. PSVANE is the one I saw on the Feliks website. My Elise is serial 13. I just want to know what is the best-found combo so far? I might be sounding too lazy here but trust me, I am coming out of hibernation of 2 years as I was moving countries :D

May 7, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #11,441 of 11,833
Amazing, I am looking at some KT88 tubes on eBay and don't know which one to get. PSVANE is the one I saw on the Feliks website. My Elise is serial 13. I just want to know what is the best-found combo so far? I might be sounding too lazy here but trust me, I am coming out of hibernation of 2 years as I was moving countries :D
Hi.LR. Most of us started off with Gold Lion KT tubes both 88's and 66's some also like KT77's as drivers. Gold Lion are reputed to be one of the best new tubes out there. They are very good. A couple of us have chosen to pick up GEC KT 66's and are driving them with GE 7581's. This is the combo I'm running on Elise at the moment. Tung sol make a 7581A which is a good option for driving the KT 66 and a less expensive option to the GE's. Will not go into the GU tubes just yet but they are well documented on the Euforia thread.

May 8, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #11,442 of 11,833
Hi.LR. Most of us started off with Gold Lion KT tubes both 88's and 66's some also like KT77's as drivers. Gold Lion are reputed to be one of the best new tubes out there. They are very good. A couple of us have chosen to pick up GEC KT 66's and are driving them with GE 7581's. This is the combo I'm running on Elise at the moment. Tung sol make a 7581A which is a good option for driving the KT 66 and a less expensive option to the GE's. Will not go into the GU tubes just yet but they are well documented on the Euforia thread.
Hi @barontan2418. I'm considering picking up a pair of GEC KT66, brown base / clear glass. I've been running a quad of Genalex GL KT88 up to this point, good clarity and detail retrieval, just seeking a tad more warmth. Wondering if you've tried to GEC KT66 in driver position and if so, how it differed from your experience with Genalex Gold Lions. The GEC's aren't cheap so trying to get a handle on what the differences are from Genalex new production before going for it. Thanks for your thoughts!

May 8, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #11,443 of 11,833
Hi LoryWiv.
As you might have seen in my previous post I'm using GEC KT66's as powers driven by GE7581A's a combination I'm really liking. OctavianH also finds this combo to his liking and indeed feels he's no need to look further. I found the GEC's ticked all the boxes for me but in the power position in conjunction with my Beyer T1, Good definition, placement, width and depth of sound stage and importantly to me, vocals both male and female became more intimate. To my mind the is little doubt that the GEC's are better overall than Gold Lion which themselves are very good. I've done so much tube rolling just lately both with Elise and Euforia I'm finding it hard to keep up with individual results. I will have tried GEC's with KT88's but the fact that I'm not still using that combination suggests it wasn't quite what I was looking for. Sorry I'm not being of much help, I doubt you'll regret getting the GEC's just that you may have to try a few different combinations, or indeed you might just be impressed with them driving KT88's.

May 8, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #11,445 of 11,833
Thanks @barontan2418 and @OctavianH. Funny how this hobbyworks....I am truly enjoying and happy with my GL KT88 quad but still that little voice says "what if there's something better?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back