Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
May 31, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #10,756 of 11,833
Ok, so after reading all the new posts here and on the "other" thread dedicated to Euforia I decided to order 4 Marconi EL32 and 4 adapters from mrs. Xuling.

EL32_box.jpg

These boxes look new and it seems that they were never opened before, so this is a true "NOS". My adapters are somewhere in Frankfurt, so most probably 1-2 weeks until they will reach me. When I will receive them I will "mount" the tubes and never remove them, since I read also that removing them might damage the tube top area. Now waiting... and waiting...

May 31, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #10,757 of 11,833
Ok, so after reading all the new posts here and on the "other" thread dedicated to Euforia I decided to order 4 Marconi EL32 and 4 adapters from mrs. Xuling.

EL32_box.jpg

These boxes look new and it seems that they were never opened before, so this is a true "NOS". My adapters are somewhere in Frankfurt, so most probably 1-2 weeks until they will reach me. When I will receive them I will "mount" the tubes and never remove them, since I read also that removing them might damage the tube top area. Now waiting... and waiting...
Try not to think about them O and hopefully it won't seem so long!. I also have quad of the Marconi too so I will try them this eve, the EL32 and CV1052 are very good, I think you will like them!.

May 31, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #10,758 of 11,833

EL32_box.jpg

Hi OH...I'm sure you won't be disappointed...no-one else has been so far lol! :smile_phones: But will look forward to your own findings in the time to come (hope you don't have too long a wait...).

And if you can keep to an absolute minimum the number of times you use the adapter's top connector, the better...(the best is indeed to put them on...and keep them on!). But for those who may be trying different versions of this tube, I really do suggest gluing down the tube's metal top connection before using it.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #10,762 of 11,833
Just a note to those interested in this tube, the seller has increased his price 100% recently. He had about 60 left. The other tube types in my testing all sound about the same so the others are good as well, and the price is less

Jun 4, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #10,764 of 11,833
Jun 4, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #10,765 of 11,833
Jun 4, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #10,766 of 11,833
Good morning O I bought a pair of those Thompson's couple years ago when I first got the Elise. Well they are okay, they do work and will get the job done they're not what I would consider a great tube. They are quite inexpensive and that's a big Plus in their favor. I was not impressed by them at all. I tried them with several different drivers and while they were like I said okay, nothing stood out, or says, oh yes I have to listen to that. Hope it helps

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #10,767 of 11,833
I am very pleased about the Foton 6H8C + Mullard 6080 but I have seen that it is not easy to find another pair on Ebay. Can anyone advise me if there is any big difference soundwise between several brands of 6080? For example this one?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-...S-Thomson-csf-France-Valve-Tubes/112136749496
I would like buy another pair.
Hi O,
I am pleased to hear that you like the Fotons - one of my top favorites.
Re the 6080 tubes, I have tried a whole bunch of them (Sylvania, GE, Tung Sol, HP, Chatham, Bendix, RCA, Mullard, Philips). IMHO the best ones are the GEC 6080, but they are are quite expensive now.
If you want another pair, an inexpensive good choice is the RCA 6080 which has a very good mid bass and warm presentation. A quick check on eBay shows that you can get a pair for under $20 today.
Another choice is a tube that looks like the 6080 with similar specs - the 6AS7GA. Here the brand does not matter (RCA, GE, Sylvania, HP) - they all sound the same, so you can just shop for price. (Just saw 5 tubes labeled Motorola {look like GE} for $18).
Good luck!

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #10,768 of 11,833
Yep, I like these Fotons a lot because they are very clear and neutral. Everything sounds to me "natural", or at least this is what I think I hear. I managed to obtain 6 pieces, 4x '55 and 2 x '53 and tried them with 5998, 6H13C, EL3N, EL12N and in the end I stopped at Mullard 6080. Now I was thinking that it could be nice to have a 2nd pair of 6080 for these.
But I will decide in a few days what to order since very soon I will be able to test EL32 and who knows, maybe I will like them and switch my preferences.

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #10,769 of 11,833
I think of all the $68 that I have tried gec we're the best. They were very close to the gec 6A s7g which I like quite well. Will be selling mine off this week along with a couple of Dac s to put a little bit of money in my pocket for a future large audio purchase.

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #10,770 of 11,833
Yep, I like these Fotons a lot because they are very clear and neutral. Everything sounds to me "natural", or at least this is what I think I hear. I managed to obtain 6 pieces, 4x '55 and 2 x '53 and tried them with 5998, 6H13C, EL3N, EL12N and in the end I stopped at Mullard 6080. Now I was thinking that it could be nice to have a 2nd pair of 6080 for these.
But I will decide in a few days what to order since very soon I will be able to test EL32 and who knows, maybe I will like them and switch my preferences.

Looking forward to your impressions of the EL32.
And yes, when it comes to the Fotons the word natural comes to my mind as well....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back