Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Feb 17, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #10,458 of 11,833
Hi chy,
They started off dead silent, nothing, using Chatham/2399/5998 as powers, after about 2 hours, I noticed a faint hum had developed, not loud, only audible when music was stopped, but definitely there, I then switched off and changed to EL12N as powers and they are now dead silent again, I think it may have something to do with ST bottle powers, I have another pair of 6C8G, RCA, and they hum as well but only with ST bottles, EL12N and 6080's nothing, silent.

Some people who had hum with other tubes using an anode cap had luck in eliminating the hum with a ferrite choke clamped on to the anode wire..
These are little cylinders that snap on the anode wire, and can be found very inexpensively for a few cents each.
Just make sure to get them in the right size for the wire thickness. Can't guarantee that it will work, but some people had good luck with these devices.
Here is a link to one seller:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5x-3-5mm-Noise-Suppressor-EMI-RFI-Clip-Choke-Ferrite-
Core-Cable-Filter-Black/142457972166?epid=942254927&hash=item212b2825c6:g:Q9AAAOSwRQxaetBK
s-l1600.jpg

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #10,460 of 11,833
Some people who had hum with other tubes using an anode cap had luck in eliminating the hum with a ferrite choke clamped on to the anode wire..
These are little cylinders that snap on the anode wire, and can be found very inexpensively for a few cents each.
Just make sure to get them in the right size for the wire thickness. Can't guarantee that it will work, but some people had good luck with these devices.
Here is a link to one seller:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5x-3-5mm-Noise-Suppressor-EMI-RFI-Clip-Choke-Ferrite-
Core-Cable-Filter-Black/142457972166?epid=942254927&hash=item212b2825c6:g:Q9AAAOSwRQxaetBK
s-l1600.jpg
Thanks mordy, will give them a look

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #10,461 of 11,833
Are there any sources for adapters in Europe? Those guys from HK will ship my adapters in 2 weeks and the delivery estimation is March-April...
To my knowledge I don't think there are any outside of china, there is an eBay seller in Bulgaria who makes 7n7 to 6sn7 adapters but not for c3g, which I'm assuming is what you mean?.

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #10,462 of 11,833
Well, I bought 7n7 / c3g / el12n adapters to be sure I have all I need. But I have to wait a lot of time for them. I wonder why F.A. are not making their own adapters instead of letting those guys making money on their products.
If you search for adapters on ebay you find a lot of "special for Elise" models and if you make a sum of shipping costs and all you find that you pay quite a sum. When adapters will arrive I will buy some tubes for them...

Feb 18, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #10,463 of 11,833
I know what you mean OH, it can take quite some time to get from China/HK to Europe, however I think the reason F.A don't is because the Elise was designed around the 6AS7G/6080 and 6SN7 tube and not the EL/C3G/7N7 tube types etc, and so could invalidate the warranty if anything happened to the amp, I think it's only because of guys @pctazhp, @hypnos1, and others discovering that these valves worked safely and I guess the eBay guys in China were able to tap into that demand for adapters, I could be completely wrong of course,or maybe it's just not worth F.A's while doing it, maybe one the guys could chime in on this.

Feb 19, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #10,464 of 11,833
I already wrote them regarding a "Premium adapter kit" which might be a small wooden box, branded properly, with 2-3 adapters in it. I mean, if a pair of adapters cost like 30-40USD + shipping costs they might reach a sum of 50 EUR in Europe. I say that these are not cheap, and can be manufactured in Europe by the vendor himself.

Feb 19, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #10,465 of 11,833
I know what you mean OH, it can take quite some time to get from China/HK to Europe, however I think the reason F.A don't is because the Elise was designed around the 6AS7G/6080 and 6SN7 tube and not the EL/C3G/7N7 tube types etc, and so could invalidate the warranty if anything happened to the amp, I think it's only because of guys @pctazhp, @hypnos1, and others discovering that these valves worked safely and I guess the eBay guys in China were able to tap into that demand for adapters, I could be completely wrong of course,or maybe it's just not worth F.A's while doing it, maybe one the guys could chime in on this.

Hi Scutey (and others who may be interested)...you are right re. F-A not wishing to invalidate their warranty by not using configured-for tubes. Have asked them to make their own adapters, but understandably they've declined, leaving China to make them!...(or better, like myself, to adapt the tubes oneself!! :ksc75smile:)...Hope this gives some answer at least...CJ

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #10,466 of 11,833
Hi Scutey (and others who may be interested)...you are right re. F-A not wishing to invalidate their warranty by not using configured-for tubes. Have asked them to make their own adapters, but understandably they've declined, leaving China to make them!...(or better, like myself, to adapt the tubes oneself!! :ksc75smile:)...Hope this gives some answer at least...CJ
It certainly does h1, it would certainly be nice if they did make them in UK/Europe, but I guess if we did they would be more expensive, so I guess we can't have everything!.:wink:

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #10,467 of 11,833
So today I can be called a proud owner of a Feliks Audio Elise MK2 heapdhone amp! I am one of you, guys, and you convinced me to take this very smart decision.
Since I had not seen a lot of pictures and "unboxing" impressions, at least not of the new 2018 model, I have decided to make some pictures and write a few words, to share them with you.

So, let's begin. First of all: packaging is IMPRESSIVE. I have received the amp and a headphone stand, each in their own box, perfectly isolated.

Feliks_Audio_Elise_MK2_01_Packaging.jpg

And the boxes inside:

Feliks_Audio_Elise_MK2_02_Packaging.jpg

The stand was perfectly fit in the protection, as can be seen:

Feliks_Audio_Elise_MK2_03_Packaging.jpg

And Elise had 2 boxes, one in another:

Feliks_Audio_Elise_MK2_04_Packaging.jpg

Inside, everything at his place, but my unit came without tubes, since I already owned a few to use with it and I have decided to save 100 EUR:

Feliks_Audio_Elise_MK2_05_Packaging.jpg

What I received was the amp, 3 leaflets (warranty and manual, headphone amp and stand brochure) and a standard power cable (not in the picture since I consider it not relevant, can be seen in previous one):

Feliks_Audio_Elise_MK2_06_Unit_leaflet.jpg

A closer picture of the "top", everything looks absolutely perfect, no sign or mark on it:

Feliks_Audio_Elise_MK2_07_Front.jpg

And a detail I have not seen in any review, on the bottom we have a metal plate with Feliks Audio logo and the number of the unit, I was the lucky guy with 0145:

Feliks_Audio_Elise_MK2_08_Back.jpg

And installed on my desk looks absolutely stunning:

Feliks_Audio_Elise_MK2_09_Desk.jpg

Both the amp and the stand are heavy, solid and the build quality is perfect. I am really impressed and it exceeded my expectations. Feliks Audio were very nice, friendly and sent it after 3 days since the payment was processed (I used bank transfer because I am not very happy with Paypal services anymore).
The transport company was not at the expected level of professionalism, UPS failed to deliver 2 times and I had to call at least 6 times to be able to arrange a proper delivery. But this has nothing to do with Feliks Audio.

And now about the SOUND. I have only some preliminary impressions, since I just started to listen it with 2 x Svetlana "winged" 6H13C '78 and 2 x Nevs 6H8C '73. So all tubes are russian, I bought them very cheap locally, since here in Transylvania you can find russian tubes at people who I am not sure if they are aware of what they are selling, and therefore sell under the price you usually find them on, for example, Ebay. For example the Svetlana "winged" costed me 6.5EUR/piece and I saw them on a german website at 19EUR/piece. I think I have paid a decent price for them. The 6H8C were also very cheap, I bought 6 pieces from a guy who was designing his own amp and was not pleased by their sound, so he wanted to get rid of them and sold me all his pieces at a bargain.
When I first tried them on Little Dot MK2 via adapters they sounded absolutely horrible but now on Elise they are totally different. I had low expectations for this setup, but it sounds quite good. I was expected to find a "bloated" warm sound without detail or resolution and what I receive is a very nice and pleasant sound. I cannot say more at the moment, I have no idea if the tubes are already burned it or I need to wait more for them and the amp for a final statement, but I can say that I really like what I hear. The question would be: Is Elise sounding great with every tube or I had luck with my cheapest models to find a decent sound from the first try? If Elise offers you so much pleasure with every tube you try I will definitely have a long life of tube rolling ahead.

6_H13_C_6_H8_C.jpg

My next step would be to try 2 x Jan Philips 6SN7WGTA, and when my Mullard 6080 will arrive from Langrex, to replace the Svetlanas. At the moment I am quite impressed about the current setup and I have decided to keep my russians for a few days. I do not want to make more statements at these early moments, but I can say for sure that this unit is in a different league from the Little Dots and it is definitely the best headphone amp I have ever listened to. And it pairs very well with my T1.2 and the 2Qute which was one of my major concerns.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #10,470 of 11,833
So today I can be called a proud owner of a Feliks Audio Elise MK2 heapdhone amp! I am one of you, guys, and you convinced me to take this very smart decision.
Since I had not seen a lot of pictures and "unboxing" impressions, at least not of the new 2018 model, I have decided to make some pictures and write a few words, to share them with you.

So, let's begin. First of all: packaging is IMPRESSIVE. I have received the amp and a headphone stand, each in their own box, perfectly isolated.

And the boxes inside:

Inside, everything at his place, but my unit came without tubes, since I already owned a few to use with it and I have decided to save 100 EUR:

What I received was the amp, 3 leaflets (warranty and manual, headphone amp and stand brochure) and a standard power cable (not in the picture since I consider it not relevant, can be seen in previous one):

A closer picture of the "top", everything looks absolutely perfect, no sign or mark on it:

And a detail I have not seen in any review, on the bottom we have a metal plate with Feliks Audio logo and the number of the unit, I was the lucky guy with 0145:

Both the amp and the stand are heavy, solid and the build quality is perfect. I am really impressed and it exceeded my expectations. Feliks Audio were very nice, friendly and sent it after 3 days since the payment was processed (I used bank transfer because I am not very happy with Paypal services anymore).
The transport company was not at the expected level of professionalism, UPS failed to deliver 2 times and I had to call at least 6 times to be able to arrange a proper delivery. But this has nothing to do with Feliks Audio.

And now about the SOUND. I have only some preliminary impressions, since I just started to listen it with 2 x Svetlana "winged" 6H13C '78 and 2 x Nevs 6H8C '73. So all tubes are russian, I bought them very cheap locally, since here in Transylvania you can find russian tubes at people who I am not sure if they are aware of what they are selling, and therefore sell under the price you usually find them on, for example, Ebay. For example the Svetlana "winged" costed me 6.5EUR/piece and I saw them on a german website at 19EUR/piece. I think I have paid a decent price for them. The 6H8C were also very cheap, I bought 6 pieces from a guy who was designing his own amp and was not pleased by their sound, so he wanted to get rid of them and sold me all his pieces at a bargain.
When I first tried them on Little Dot MK2 via adapters they sounded absolutely horrible but now on Elise they are totally different. I had low expectations for this setup, but it sounds quite good. I was expected to find a "bloated" warm sound without detail or resolution and what I receive is a very nice and pleasant sound. I cannot say more at the moment, I have no idea if the tubes are already burned it or I need to wait more for them and the amp for a final statement, but I can say that I really like what I hear. The question would be: Is Elise sounding great with every tube or I had luck with my cheapest models to find a decent sound from the first try? If Elise offers you so much pleasure with every tube you try I will definitely have a long life of tube rolling ahead.

6_H13_C_6_H8_C.jpg

My next step would be to try 2 x Jan Philips 6SN7WGTA, and when my Mullard 6080 will arrive from Langrex, to replace the Svetlanas. At the moment I am quite impressed about the current setup and I have decided to keep my russians for a few days. I do not want to make more statements at these early moments, but I can say for sure that this unit is in a different league from the Little Dots and it is definitely the best headphone amp I have ever listened to. And it pairs very well with my T1.2 and the 2Qute which was one of my major concerns.

And the boxes inside:

6_H13_C_6_H8_C.jpg

Hi OH,
Welcome to the club! The entire burn in experience is very pleasurable, but it takes upwards of 150 hours for the amp to sound it’s best.
Most tubes, if new, take 30-50 hours to burn in.
The most important thing is to make sure that the amp is well ventilated for cooling. It relies on convection (the slots on the bottom and top).
Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back