Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Feb 1, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #10,336 of 11,833
That's only true when using c3g and 4 x EL3Ns as power tubes. Using 2 x EL3Ns as drivers and 4 x EL3Ns as power tubes, gain is back to normal. Don't know why there's a drop in gain using c3g and EL3Ns,

Not sure why either. But the loss of gain with C3g drivers and 1x per side EL3N as powers, is a fact.

If you have high impedance cans, there is enough power to drive the cans past comfortable volumes and the SQ is superb. This combination also runs super cool, which is a worthy benefit.

:)

Feb 1, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #10,341 of 11,833
Be careful man, you don't want to send your amp back for repair again.

Just too many people had their FA elise repaired in the past couple of years. Then sold it and move to something else.:space_invader:
I definitely don't want that!!

Feb 2, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #10,342 of 11,833
This cool running combo will prevent what causes the most damage to this amp (too much heat buildup under the tube deck).

If you want to tear this amp up, run 6080's without socket savers...for hours on end.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #10,344 of 11,833
Yes, you can. I never ran them because everyone says they sound exactly like the same branded 6SN7's.

Don't worry too much about tube rolling in Elise, it sounds good with a lot of different tubes.
Just remember the heat is your responsibility to deal with. Don't run tubes that get the deck real hot without mitigating the heat. Use a small fan,
raise the amp up and let the fan move air underneath.

The transformer in Elise is limited to a 7 amp draw as well. Never run tubes that in total for all 4 sockets draw more then 7 amps of filament (heater) current, or the transformer will burn up. Not a problem with tubes listed in FA's compatible tubes chart, but something to think about if/when your tube rolling adventures expand beyond the recommended tubes.

And as previously mentioned - it just so happens C3g and EL3N actually draw less current than recommended tubes and run nice and cool in Elise. These two also require adapters and thus are raised off the deck, which also helps keep the internal temperature down.

Feb 2, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #10,345 of 11,833
Thanks for the advice JV, heat is something I've become aware of, especially when 6080's, so I limit my use of them now to short periods, I now (as you know! lol) like to use the aforementioned C3g/EL3N, mostly for sound but also for it being cool running, along with my 2399's, and 6as7g, as for the 6c8g, curiosity got the better of me, I just had to get some to have a try, they look so damned sexy!, but if they run too hot in my Elise then I shan't be using them again, fortunately they were cheap and no customs charges to pay.

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #10,347 of 11,833
I run an old pair of Senn HD580's that has a 99.7% pure silver after-market cable.
Did some mods on them too, but been so many years back that I don't remember exactly what I did, internally.
Have used them so much that I am on the fourth headband cushion and the third set of earpads. Replaced the outer grills w/HD650 ones, so they look a lot like 650's. They terminate in 4 pin XLR then a huge adapter out to SE 1/4inch jack. I don't know if they are "balanced compatible" via the XLR or not.

What about you?

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #10,348 of 11,833
I really want to be able to use my "hot running" tubes in Elise, so am going to try and come up with a wooden base that will
accommodate a fan, so that I can run my 6080's and not feel like I am doing damage to the Elise internals.

Ordered a 120mm super quiet 12v computer case fan today....

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #10,349 of 11,833
I really want to be able to use my "hot running" tubes in Elise, so am going to try and come up with a wooden base that will
accommodate a fan, so that I can run my 6080's and not feel like I am doing damage to the Elise internals.

Ordered a 120mm super quiet 12v computer case fan today....

You could try this one. It runs off USB and you can adjust the fan speed. AC Infinity MULTIFAN S3, Quiet 120mm USB Fan for Receiver DVR Playstation Xbox Computer Cabinet Cooling https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G05A2MU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8n8DAbKDYEPRA

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #10,350 of 11,833
Yes, that one looks good! I ordered one that has some blue LED's on it...add to that evening glow show.
Mine will run off 12v - will power it with the same DIY power supply that I use to externally heat 12v tubes with.

Have a small desk fan on her now...running the Mullard 6080's and 1940's Ken-Rad VT-231's - she is sounding good and stayin' cool...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back