Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Aug 29, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #9,916 of 11,833
That would be my take on it as well, popular high end tube ,most may sound okay but won't last

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #9,917 of 11,833
So today I received my new pair of Sylvania VT-231. I got them for something less than €40 incl. shipping. It's an interesting pair, with nice air, imaging and soundstage. First impressions they may be comparable to the Sylvania 6sn7w in some ways, but not as tight at the lower register. Still, I'll grant them the benefit of a trial period so that they can stretch their legs more before I come up with more substantiated impressions. Overall a very good pair of tubes, but I think it's time I switched to a different house altogether. A local audiophile suggested me to try the Ken-Rad 6sn7gt staggered plates. Anyone have experience with them?

As usual, I'm closing with a picture of the Sylvania 6sn7gt / VT-231 for your aesthetic appreciation and visual pleasure.

s-l1600.jpg

Aug 29, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #9,918 of 11,833
Probably to resell as good tubes.
Hi cty and CF,

Was hoping that somebody would tell me about a way how to rejuvenate worn out tubes and make them like new. I have seen posts about methods to apply different types of currents to renew tubes, but I never found out any details about it, but it seems that it can be done if you know how.

Or is this a fairy tale?

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #9,919 of 11,833
So today I received my new pair of Sylvania VT-231. I got them for something less than €40 incl. shipping. It's an interesting pair, with nice air, imaging and soundstage. First impressions they may be comparable to the Sylvania 6sn7w in some ways, but not as tight at the lower register. Still, I'll grant them the benefit of a trial period so that they can stretch their legs more before I come up with more substantiated impressions. Overall a very good pair of tubes, but I think it's time I switched to a different house altogether. A local audiophile suggested me to try the Ken-Rad 6sn7gt staggered plates. Anyone have experience with them?

As usual, I'm closing with a picture of the Sylvania 6sn7gt / VT-231 for your aesthetic appreciation and visual pleasure.

s-l1600.jpg

I have compared Syl VT-231 and Ken-Rad staggered VT-231 and 6SN7 in Euforia. Syl has better highs and kids, more refined and sweeter. Ken-Rad has very prominent bass. Personally, I like Syl 6SN7 1952 3 hole plate better, it combines goods of Syl VT231 and KenRad. KenRad Staggered VT231 and 6SN7 sound and look the same. I only have clear glass staggered version.

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #9,920 of 11,833
Hi Mordy,

I have heard that rumor all my adult life about ways to rejuvenate a tube. I had seen this with dry cell batteries as well by using a reverse current to restore them never tried that. As far as tubes go when the cathode is done emitting as many electrons as it can that's all there is. I was Electronics technician in the service way back in the sixties and everything was vacuum tube then and I had heard the same rumor going around as well that you could rejuvenate them somehow. As far as I know, it is not possible to reinvent the tube. If an element has failed it's dead if it's wearing out it soon we'll be dead. If somebody else has more information please let me know I have a tube that would like to be rejuvenated.

Sep 1, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #9,922 of 11,833
Eitr is settling in with the Mimby. The effect is certainly audible, although I'm not sure about the level of the benefits. Starting to think that people telling me that the Mimby may be the weak link in my audio chain may be right. Overall, my rig is definitely turning into something far from where I started to go originally (basically I was looking to pair the HD600 with an O2). The Sylvania 6sn7gt / VT-231 are playing wonderfully, in fact I'm not even missing my beloved Syl 6sn7w. Perhaps the bass is still less resolving and tight, but man what a wonderful midrange! From what I reckon, bassheads should be looking the way of the Ken–Rad; for everyone else, I can't imagine that the Sylvania 6sn7gt / VT-231 won't mesmerise and tingle their sensations.

As I'm writing these lines, courier brought my new Beyer DT990pro, which I bought from Amazon Wearhouse deals for $89 including shipping (thanks to the "The EU deals thread")! I know it's not a cool thing to side–grade against the HD600 but I couldn't resist the price. Oddly enough they look like they are in pristine condition! Honestly, I can't imagine why they were sold as wearhouse deals, unless perhaps it was because the box has minor scuffs! The v-shaped signature is immediately perceivable, mids are way recessed compared to the HD600 and the lows and highs are more pronounced, thus creating the effect of an airy soundstage (listening to Miles Davies' Kind of Blue, @24/192). Maybe I prefer the HD600 but I certainly see the appeal. However, I'll let the cans breathe and get back to you, it's never right to assume things before some proper time passes.

As always, here are some pics for your visual appetite.

IMG_6383.jpg
IMG_6384.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #9,923 of 11,833
@angpsi Thanks for keeping us updated, and as always your pictures are great. I enjoy seeing pictures of different setups.

I really have no valuable thoughts on what you might still be missing. I know that my Bimby, even using Gen2 USB, is the source of very high SQ for me. I have some difficulty understanding how Mimby with EITR could not be close or even superior to what I can achieve with my Bimby.

Euforia with EL11/EL12spez just continues to amaze me. Of course, I also have to give credit to HD800S. I am perhaps not as emphatic as some as to how much better Euforia is than Elise. I find it more "different" than necessarily "better". I don't believe that Euforia over Elise is necessary to obtain obtain highly satisfying SQ.

I am more emphatic as to how much better EL11/EL12spez is than any of my other highly rated tubes, including Syl 6SN7W/GEC6AS7G.

As for your headphones, I haven't heard either so I don't know what to say about them. I don't subscribe to the notion that something is probably better than something else just because it is more expensive. But from all I have read I do suspect that one may have to get into the plus $1000 range (for the headphone) to start to get outstanding performance from a headphone based system. Even if that is a high barrier, I believe the overall cost of a great headphone system is far less than for a speaker based system.

Anyway, good luck and please do keep us informed as to your progress. Your posts are interesting and informative.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #9,924 of 11,833
@angpsi , I would have to agree with @pctazhp about the Mimby being quite good and not the weak link in your system. I have a Bimby and older Bifrost Uber but I don't use USB (only optical) so that might be the reason why and even when I had a friends Mimby I only used the optical and coax connections. I think the weak link is your headphones since the rest of your audio chain is quite good.

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #9,925 of 11,833
Hi @DavidA, do you think that the DT990pro will open up as they get more playtime? Because straight compared with the HD600 I outright prefer the latter.

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #9,926 of 11,833
@angpsi Thanks for keeping us updated, and as always your pictures are great. I enjoy seeing pictures of different setups.

(...)

Anyway, good luck and please do keep us informed as to your progress. Your posts are interesting and informative.
Thanks for your kind words Pct, hopefully we'll get more of those newcomers to Elise territory to share their impressions. Lots of knowledge available here!

@angpsi I am more emphatic as to how much better EL11/EL12spez is than any of my other highly rated tubes, including Syl 6SN7W/GEC6AS7G.

So when are you going to trade me your GECs for my TFK EL12 / Siemens EL12n? :beyersmile:

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #9,927 of 11,833
So when are you going to trade me your GECs for my TFK EL12 / Siemens EL12n? :beyersmile:

You are funny man))) I already have TF EL12 and EL12n I don't particularly like and don't use. Don't need any more)))

For the right price, my GECs (6AS7G and/or 6080) are yours or anyone else's who wants them. If someone wants to buy them, I will be disappointed they ignore my learned and sage advice to get EL11/EL12spez, but even I have my price :ksc75smile:

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #9,928 of 11,833
Sorry Pct, can't afford your tubes unless they cost zero... Gotta put a lid on my spending if I'm ever going to afford an upgrade to the HD600!

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #9,929 of 11,833
So far the DT990pro are good, but the HD600 are hands down better. I can see the former rock out, but overall I find the latter way more classy and refined. Of course, that's according to my taste / ears.

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #9,930 of 11,833
Hi @DavidA, do you think that the DT990pro will open up as they get more playtime? Because straight compared with the HD600 I outright prefer the latter.
If you currently like the HD600 that much better than the DT990 the only reason to keep the DT990 is for when you want a different presentation, its why I still have a DT990 premium but I only use them once or twice a month. I did sell my HD600 only because of the small peak at 4-5khz that bothered me at times but I still have a HD650. FWIW I'm one that likes variety so the headphones that I do have all have their own unique signature and I don't really think of one being better than the other, just different. You can look in my profile to see what I have/had. Others like simplicity and only have 1-2 headphones which is fine also if that is what they prefer.

Lately I've been working with DIY headphones based on drivers from Elleven Acoustica, Nhoord and Symphones to build Grado RS type clones. Not the cheapest to build but one of the biggest reasons is they don't need an amp to sound great. You have a great amp in the Elise and a decent DAC in the Mimby, I would think you would be looking at HD700/HD800, T1g1 or similar headphones to really get the most out of your impressive gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back