Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jul 24, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #9,766 of 11,833
To your question, no but I believe @UntilThen did compare these amps once. You should ask him.
I 'm however worried about your HE 1000 with the Elise, 35ohms is low. Maybe others can tell more.

Althalus

I heard Woo Audio Wa6 at the Sydney meet 2016. That meet, I brought Elise to showcase to the folks gathered there. However there were too many good gear there, including Blue Hawaii and Stax SR-007 and 009. Very few people came and listen to Elise. :)

Wa6 being not an OTL amp, sounded bright and glaring to my ears. Elise is your quintessent tube amp. I wouldn't characterise Elise as overly warm and lush. It has the right voicing with a certain wetness and lushness to it that makes it very pleasant on the ears... with many headphones. I was even able to enjoy HE560 with it. Elise's specs is 32 to 600 ohms, so it should be able to drive the HE 1000. How good a pairing that would be is another question. The HE-1000 is supposed to be soft and caressing sounding and Tyll seems to think it paired well with the bright and revealing GSX MkII.

Between Wa6 and Elise, I have no hesitation to take Elise anytime, anyday, anyhow..... try a high impedance headphone such as HD800, T1 or HD600 with Elise and you will be very happy.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #9,769 of 11,833
I'm a push over. Deal reached with @canthearyou :o2smile:

Very much appreciated! I'm just a tad bit excited! Lol

Soon to be set-up: Tidal or Foobar DSD>Singxer X-1>Gustard X20 Pro>Elise>McIntosh MHP1000.

Will probably upgrade to Singxer F-1 or SU-1

Jul 24, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #9,770 of 11,833
Very much appreciated! I'm just a tad bit excited! Lol

Soon to be set-up: Tidal or Foobar DSD>Singxer X-1>Gustard X20 Pro>Elise>McIntosh MHP1000.

Will probably upgrade to Singxer F-1 or SU-1

You are now an official member of our cult. Did we forget to tell you THERE'S NO ESCAPE?????

Jul 24, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #9,773 of 11,833
Specs for Elise, 32 ohm not 23 ohm
Technical Specification - Model 2017

Input Impedance: 100 kOhm
Frequency response: 10 Hz - 60 Khz +/- 3 dB (300 ohm)
Power output: 200mW
Pre-amp Gain: 20dB
THD: 0.4 % (300 ohm, 20 mW)
Supported headphones impedance: 32 - 600 ohm
Improved noise cancelling construction
Headphones output: Jack 6.3mm
AC: 230V/120V (power cord included)
Dimensions: 310x205x170 [mm]
3 years warranty

Jul 24, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #9,774 of 11,833
My feelings of excitement have now turned to nervousness and despair.
I sympathize @canthearyou, they told me the same when I got my Elise in December; and I'm here to let you know that they absolutely meant it! But then, this was my good fortune; these "rich uncles" are absolutely lovely and being part of this group is very much a seminal piece in the overall enjoyment of FA amps!

As always, typing out of my phone, in my bed, instead of going to sleep, at 1:50am, on a work day!:beyersmile: - Welcome!

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #9,775 of 11,833
Soon to be set-up: Tidal or Foobar DSD>Singxer X-1>Gustard X20 Pro>Elise>McIntosh MHP1000
Btw, McIntosh - I'm intrigued! How do they sound like? Were they part of your rationale for going with the Elise?

Jul 24, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #9,776 of 11,833
Btw, McIntosh - I'm intrigued! How do they sound like? Were they part of your rationale for going with the Elise?

I was lucky enough to win them at a local Head-fi meet. At first I didn't like them, they came off very bright and forward. But I quickly learned I didn't need to blast them to hear everything in my music. Once I lower the volume they kind of disappear on my head. I really enjoy them a lot. The amp I was using had the tendency to be sibilant. I tried my lowly O2 amp and it is actually very natural and clean.

Jul 26, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #9,778 of 11,833
My Elise should be here today. I asked the wife to call in so she can sign for it. Lol
A happy occasion then! Be sure to use her moderately (the Elise, not your wife!); I know I started off very enthusiastically and almost tortured her at first. I was later advised that I shouldn't do that, and that tube amps are delicate creatures! :beyersmile:

Jul 26, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #9,779 of 11,833
So I've been listening to my Mimby and even attached it to my stereo system. Not bad at all, actually it's a quite interesting piece of equipment. IMO it's exactly what it is: an entry level DAC on a sound signature that's definitely worth exploring. That being said, it's extraordinarily good for what it does, and it got quite close to my 12 y.o. Benchmark DAC1 (no, they don't get better with age!). On the same comparison the Meridian couldn't cut it; it's definitely worth its price but it just couldn't compete with the Mimby on my stereo system. Things are somewhat different with the Elise though; the Mimby renders a 'softer' image where the Meridian and the Benchmark render a more dynamic sound. If it makes sense, I'd say the Mimby renders more air in the same way that the Tung-Sol 5998 does: an open, more euphonic maybe, 'airier' performance instead of the pace-y and tight sound the 6080 gives out. In fact I'm intrigued to give the TS another go, they've been sitting still for quite some time as I do all my listening with the GEC 6080.

Take notice though, on a different note I'm starting to believe that all the Mimby does is whet the appetite for bigger and pricier things!

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #9,780 of 11,833
Take notice though, on a different note I'm starting to believe that all the Mimby does is whet the appetite for bigger and pricier things!

Take a deep breath, leave it on 24/7, and give it a few days before you start selling bikes, daughter, wife and kitchen appliances. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back