Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jul 19, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #9,721 of 11,833
@hypnos1, do you know which type of tube was the white base Psvane that FA used on the Elise? Also, given your past experience with the Psvane CV181/TII, can you offer any opinion about the sonic differences @Aornic heard between the Elise and the Euforia ? Basically, what I'm asking is whether the tubes used represent a certain 'preferred' flavor FA likes to give to each particular amp, or are simply the best they could do for each amp's stock sound.

Hi angpsi.

Ashamed to say I didn't even manage to closely scrutinise the different tubes they used during the event. I was under the impression that Elise (as option) and Euforia use the same clear glass PsVane 6sn7, which I'm afraid I've never heard. But the grey glass, gold-coloured-base tubes appear to me to be the CV181 TII, which I believe F-A originally thought was actually not quite as well suited to their amps as the cheaper 'standard/UK' 6SN7 version. I suspect this might be down to the slightly "lighter"/less full-bodied presentation of the TII. Given the (IMO) broader FR coverage of Euforia, this might possibly explain the use of the TII in it at the show...or at least for the short time I myself was there!

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #9,722 of 11,833
Hello Everybody,

First of all I am new to the tube amp arena. I have a Feliks Elise, and I am enyoing the tube rolling capabilities and options. So far some of the tube choices I have done work, BUT I think I got my self on a bit of a pickle. Here is the situation I got a pair of Sylvania VT99 (6F8G) that are supposed to be a direct replacement for the 6SN7. The problem i see is that they hum after few seconds when i power the amp, i tried them as a direct replacement, no joy, so I though based on some topics around , I needed to get an convertor addapter from 6F8G to 6SN7, did that and also I got the ferrite clips as well, but the hum does not go away. I have tried and tried to search about this topic but have not come up with a solution.

Once again, I am new to tube amp/rolling, don't shoot me while i am falling from a building on flames :)

Cheers
Mondrax

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #9,724 of 11,833
Rossiew, thanks for your reply. I was concerned that somebody would reply saying that what i was trying to do will never work. But your reply gave me an idea, so i picked up the amp and as soon as I had it in my hands the hum went away, that tells me it is a ground issue or perhaps it is to close to a high magnetic field. I am going to try different things and report back.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #9,726 of 11,833
Rossiew, thanks for your reply. I was concerned that somebody would reply saying that what i was trying to do will never work. But your reply gave me an idea, so i picked up the amp and as soon as I had it in my hands the hum went away, that tells me it is a ground issue or perhaps it is to close to a high magnetic field. I am going to try different things and report back.

Hi mondrax, and good to hear from yet another happy Elise owner.

Sorry to hear of your hum issue with the 6F8G...not many folks seem to have tried these tubes, but they are indeed ranked very highly by the 6SN7 fraternity.
I suspect they aren't more popular than they should be for the very reason you mention - hum, etc., which is the possible downside of tubes with the exposed anode cap and wire...either due to the "antenna" effect, or poor shielding within the adapter or of the wire itself. Additional grounding - or complicated "ground loop" issues - may need to be addressed (not sure of the best ways around these, alas), or it could indeed be down to proximity of some strong EMI/RFI.

I personally recently encountered a previously non-existent hum problem with my top anode Telefunken EL12 Spezials (in my Euforia), which would come and go without apparent reason...VERY frustrating!...until I finally realised it was when my headphone cable came too close to my new Balanced AC Mains conditioner/filter, complete with about 20kg of giant transformer lol!!!...the solution was easy, of course!... It appears certain HP cables can indeed sometimes be the source of such problems, when too close to any strong power supply!

And so I hope you manage to trace your own source of the problem, assuming it isn't in fact down to the tubes and/or the adapters...GOOD LUCK!!

Jul 20, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #9,727 of 11,833
Hi mondrax, and good to hear from yet another happy Elise owner.

Sorry to hear of your hum issue with the 6F8G...not many folks seem to have tried these tubes, but they are indeed ranked very highly by the 6SN7 fraternity.
I suspect they aren't more popular than they should be for the very reason you mention - hum, etc., which is the possible downside of tubes with the exposed anode cap and wire...either due to the "antenna" effect, or poor shielding within the adapter or of the wire itself. Additional grounding - or complicated "ground loop" issues - may need to be addressed (not sure of the best ways around these, alas), or it could indeed be down to proximity of some strong EMI/RFI.

I personally recently encountered a previously non-existent hum problem with my top anode Telefunken EL12 Spezials (in my Euforia), which would come and go without apparent reason...VERY frustrating!...until I finally realised it was when my headphone cable came too close to my new Balanced AC Mains conditioner/filter, complete with about 20kg of giant transformer lol!!!...the solution was easy, of course!... It appears certain HP cables can indeed sometimes be the source of such problems, when too close to any strong power supply!

And so I hope you manage to trace your own source of the problem, assuming it isn't in fact down to the tubes and/or the adapters...GOOD LUCK!!
Oh my God this brings back memories!!!! Lol

Jul 21, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #9,728 of 11,833
Hi Mondrax
Just use one "choke suppressor" on each cable of the anode on the adapter

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #9,729 of 11,833
Sorry to go off topic, but look what the cat dragged in! Thanks @vl4dimir, much appreciated; now I'll just leave it on over the weekend and see what it comes up with for me on Monday!... Hints of its airy and resolving character are already apparent, let's see if it can do body as well.

IMG_6233.JPG

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #9,730 of 11,833
@mondrax, this is dedicated to your sufferings! The saga of the humming EL12spez was well documented in this here thread in February...:beyersmile: It was @frederick-rea who saved the day with his insight on the ferrite chokes!

IMG_4640.jpg IMG_4812.jpg IMG_5508.jpg IMG_5006.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4812.jpg
    IMG_4812.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #9,732 of 11,833
Jul 21, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #9,733 of 11,833
One comment about Schiit multibit DACs. Schiit strongly recommends they be left on 24/7, which I do with my Bimby. But I have also read comments that they occasionally need to be rebooted (turned off for about 30 seconds and then turned back on). I do that when I sense SQ is declining and find it helps.

@angpsi. I hope you will be able to spring for an Eitr. My uneducated, amateur, basically worthless opinion is that it will catapult your DAC into one that is worthy of being paired with a F-A amp :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #9,734 of 11,833
One comment about Schiit multibit DACs. Schiit strongly recommends they be left on 24/7, which I do with my Bimby. But I have also read comments that they occasionally need to be rebooted (turned off for about 30 seconds and then turned back on). I do that when I sense SQ is declining and find it helps.

Wish i could leave my Bimby on 24/7 but i fear it may overheat or a short-circuit happen somewhere and cause a fire when i'm away at work..God forbid! Having said that, despite the natural and pleasant sounding SQ of the Bimby, i found it lacking in impact and body. It sounded uninspiring at times and i suspect the smaller power supply is contributing to this somewhat. Conversely the Gungnir DS offers a more impactful and fuller bodied presentation at the expense of digital glare. I can only presume the more robust power supply of the Gungnir providing a stronger sense of drive to the musical reproduction that i hear.

A step up or two to either the Gumby or Yggy may be the answer but my Parasound Zdac v. 1 is giving me so much of the sound i enjoy that i doubt i'd be swapping DACs anytime soon..

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #9,735 of 11,833
Oops i may have spoken too soon as i just swapped out the Parasound with the diminutive Mojo - i receive an airier expression as though the haze was wiped off the windows yet the sound wasn't strident nor less musical. It sounded more hifi to put it crudely but in a good way :) There was greater separation of instruments, more clearer outline of the respective instrument's sonics. Bass remains thumping. Gosh! What has @UntilThen done to me??!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back