Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jul 16, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #9,661 of 11,833
Fewer laptops seem to support either optical or coax spdif these days. I've been using a Raspberry Pi with a HifiBerry Digi+ pro to feed my Bimby. It's running Volumio which means I can control it from my phone, or my laptop.
An even cheaper (and easier to setup) option is the chromecast audio, which does optical out. That too can be controlled from your tablet or phone. I haven't found any way to control it in a satisfactory manner from my laptop, though. (https://www.google.com/chromecast/audio/).
I've used both to fill in whilst hunting down a longer term, better solution but, TBH, they both work well enough that I'm not even looking that hard now.
The benefits of the Pi version are a much nicer user interface, you can hook up a USB drive to have the music stored locally, and anything with a web browser (on the same network) can control it.
The CCA is much easier to set up, but you'll need something like a NAS drive to store your music, and the user interfaces may not be that great since it relies on phone or tablet apps. My NAS drive (Synology) has an audio app which works adequately, and most internet radio apps work really well (no need for a NAS for internet radio).

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #9,662 of 11,833
hi A,

The same seller has another pair of the GEC 6AS7 but one tube does not measure that well but seems usable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-6AS7-GE...686723?hash=item489f62a243:g:zn4AAOSwx3NZX2Fz
Yeah, I know, the guy's got some treasures stashed in his inventory but unfortunately I can't afford GEC level spending at this point. Last month I got a flat tyre which I have to replace, bought a bike and a bike stand for the car, and every weekend away from Athens will be costing me upwards €200 per hit. So buying the Mimby was a luxury enough, and I still have to sell gear to compensate. Maybe someone's interested in my Tung-Sol 5998; or, better yet my Telefunken EL12 and Siemens EL12n?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #9,663 of 11,833
Jul 17, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #9,664 of 11,833
Well PCT, looks like they are out of stock so keep testing and I will wait for a bit. $400 is too much for me to spend on the Singxer F1 at that price I will just build a home theater pc in a compact case and use the asus card. Of course if they go on sale, who knows, the shadow, do. Time to take Connor out, have a great night all.
What are you talking about? The F1 (mind you, NOT SU1) is $200: https://m.shenzhenaudio.com/singxer...-xu208-chip-high-end-u8-upgraded-version.html

I'll second Pct's mention of the Schiit, besides news are coming out today. I'll also second the Rpi; haven't had experience myself but I've seen some people with $$$$$ gear in the local audiophile scene using it with great results - or so they claim.

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #9,665 of 11,833
Mimby is on its way from Belgium. This is the country my HD600 came from, again as a second-hand deal. I think of it as a good omen, although I'll try to be critical putting it against the Meridian Explorer 2; after all, one of them will have to go in the end. Still, I fear I'm getting expectation bias each day that passes by!

Schiit!

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #9,666 of 11,833
Mimby is on its way from Belgium. This is the country my HD600 came from, again as a second-hand deal. I think of it as a good omen, although I'll try to be critical putting it against the Meridian Explorer 2; after all, one of them will have to go in the end. Still, I fear I'm getting expectation bias each day that passes by!

Schiit!

Expectation bias is part of the fun of this hobby. Enjoy )))

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #9,667 of 11,833

Is anybody among the many elise owners interested in running their Elise output IN-PHASE,if you are let me know and I will tell you how to do this simple mod that will give you a big sonic improvement!!!!!!nick.

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #9,668 of 11,833
Yes, PCT, I edited my post about nite all. Realized it was still lite out, thought I had the lamp on! I have looked into these converters before and it my be the only way to accomplish what I want to do. YOU will be my guide on this. You have to switch back and forth until you can say with certainty one is better than the other or at least equal. I am counting on you so don't let me down, I know where you live, and may have to make a bombing run with the Connie!

OK CF. My extensive knowledge and research has hit pay dirt. Check the Schiit site. Elir is now available for $179. It indeed is a DDC that implements Schiit's new USB Gen5 technology and converts to coax output. Or, you can send in your Gumby to upgrade to Schiit USB Gen5 technology. Don't bother to thank me. Just make a modest donation to your favorite charity in my name. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #9,671 of 11,833
Jul 17, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #9,672 of 11,833
I'll bite !!!
for IN-PHase operation take bottom cover off,remove all tubes first,look at bottom of 6sn7gt tube socket,you will need spec sheet to see pine layout,there is a jumper between both grid pins it is to be removed,the wire has to be unsoldered.move the input wire coming from volume control and solder it to the grid pin # 1 on the bottom of socket,it will be the one you unsoldered the jumper wire from toward front of preamp.now the the grid pin #4 you will solder a piece of solid core wire to ground(which is on the board of the volume control,it runs along the edge of the board facing the rear of preamp),this has to be done to both 6sn7gt tube sockets and when your done put the bottom back on,tubes back in and plug her back in and enjoy,you will loose some gain but not much.The results are worth it ,you not want to go back ever!!!!!nick.
I'll bite !!!
I'll bite !!!

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #9,673 of 11,833
Thanks PCT emailed them a about an Eitr waiting to hear. Sucks I have only had Gumby for a few months, don't want to send it in right now, will purchase one of these and then maybe a new laptop. Will have to compare it to asus output first.

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #9,674 of 11,833
Can you explain what you will hear that is different with IN-PHase operation please? Of course this will probably void the warranty as well.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #9,675 of 11,833
Thanks PCT emailed them a about an Eitr waiting to hear. Sucks I have only had Gumby for a few months, don't want to send it in right now, will purchase one of these and then maybe a new laptop. Will have to compare it to asus output first.

Makes sense. You can return Eitr if you don't like it. Will be interesting to hear your comparison with the ASUS board. I'm standing pat right now in anticipation of probably ordering a Gumby. I'll get Gen 5 at no additional cost. All comes to he who procrastinates :jecklinsmile:

Anyway, I want a black Gumby so I won't have to have to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back