Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jun 29, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #9,018 of 11,833
For $4/tube, the Fotons sound amazing, UT. Thanks for the recommendation.

With that being said, you need to listen to some ken-rads when you have the chance. I still think they're better.. and not just because they have better bass :wink:
Let me know where you can find Kentucky Radio for $4 (P.S. not those stupid GE re-brands).

Jun 29, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #9,019 of 11,833
Hi mordy and guys galore...finally managed to catch up with just a few of the pages I've been missing lately, and your post has prompted me to say just a couple (?!) of words before zzzzzzzzzz.

I too have just revisited a previously loved combo of Sylvania "Chrome Dome" 7N7 + NU Black Glass 6SN7 (amongst the finest of this family, to be sure lol!) driving my GEC CV2523s, as part of my extensive temperature testing of the entire internals of my Euforia, to confirm that the EL11/12 (Spezials, in my case) combo does not cause any overheating issues...and already I am extremely surprised at my initial findings - pleasantly so, lol! :L3000:. And from cursory tests of the case and trafo housing before opening her up again properly tomorrow, this 'standard'/approved setup of 6SN7/6AS7G is running at far higher temperatures....(will post the actual figures here and on the Euforia thread tomorrow, as I want to reassure any folks who may still be interested in using the EL tubes - and will also be posting my in-depth comparison between my own EL setup and the aforementioned combo, to complement my comments already made when comparing with the Mullard ECC31/GEC setup). Plus, I have my own points to make re. use of these tubes, and I shan't be pulling any punches LOL!!! :wink:...CHEERS!...and G'night all...

What must be remembered is that tube amps will run hot. If Feliks Audio says that 6sn7 and 6as7 is ok to run with Elise and Euforia, then there's nothing to fear. For example, my La Figaro 339 runs much hotter than Elise and Euforia but it has never overheat in the 4 years of it's life.

One cannot gauge the suitability of tubes based on the heat it generates. Consequently, EL tubes generating less heat doesn't mean it's more suitable for Elise and Euforia. Clearly the specs are vastly different from 6sn7 and 6as7.

Main thing for me is, 'What does the manufacturer recommends'. If I buy Elise and I always end up using tubes that are not recommended by FA, then there is only one question one need to ask. 'Why do I buy FA amps then if Lukasz is so adamant that Elise is solely and specifically tuned for 6sn7 and 6as7.

What is the most disturbing argument is his statement. 'No clue why people say that EL tubes sound better than 6sn7 and 6as7..... at least technically it shouldn't be'. This is coming straight from Lukasz. He is puzzled how EL tubes can sound better than 6sn7 and 6as7 in Elise. Remember the FA team tried out a pair of EL11 tubes in their workshop.

I don't consider ECC31 as FA's recommended tubes and as such I don't use it. A pair of ECC31 generates 2a. For that matter, I have never crave for the ECC32 heat generator.

For 1.5 years, I've run with mostly non recommended drivers in Elise. This is where I stop. What others choose to do is their choice. However it won't be me promoting the non recommended tubes anymore until Feliks Audio 'ok' it.

Problem with our creativity is that it spawns a generation of copycats that will try to outdo everyone else. Hence the Christmas tree setup and admittedly my own experiment of using six EL3Ns in Elise.

Never again though. I'm more than satisfied with 6sn7 and 6as7 in Elise. If I am not, it's time to buy another amp.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #9,020 of 11,833
For $4/tube, the Fotons sound amazing, UT. Thanks for the recommendation.

With that being said, you need to listen to some ken-rads when you have the chance. I still think they're better.. and not just because they have better bass :wink:

There are a lot of 6sn7 that I don't have and I don't intend to buy them all. I do have about 20 6sn7s now, more than sufficient for my needs. Besides I just know that this is not the end of the road for me in terms of tube amps. Make no mistake, I think Euforia is very good at the $1399 price point. I have often wondered what better means. It's a high price to pay in this hobby.

However I do not conceal the fact that the DNA Stratus is the amp I'm eyeing before I call it quits.....

This is the plan ..... Yggy > DNA Stratus > HD800.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #9,021 of 11,833
Let me know where you can find Kentucky Radio for $4 (P.S. not those stupid GE re-brands).

You can have Kentucky Fried Chicken for $4 and it ain't bad if you're driving on the highway and there's no food stop in sight...... except dead kangaroos on the road side.

Jun 29, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #9,023 of 11,833
I popped in a digital transfer of the "Fi analogue productions Sampler" on Audirvana and the sound coming out of my HD600 is uncanny! The GEC6080 / Sylvania 6sn7w is officially my overall best combination for the Elise. I'll only be shelling out money for GEC 6as7g etc. once I upgrade to Yggdrasil / Euforia / HD800. Notice that I'm saying "once", not "if"; and I still think I'll have a hard time letting go of my current setup. A very sweet spot indeed!

mbid-b1d7bbfc-133c-4a4c-8909-e0cb0e456421-11807512383.jpg

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #9,024 of 11,833
@hypnos1, here is the Koi song so you can listen and enjoy will tending the Koi pond!

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #9,025 of 11,833
I have three Raytheon6080 wb slotted graphite plate tubes am willing to part with

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #9,026 of 11,833
@hypnos1 here is another cut, about nine and a half minutes in hes switches to a huge war drum, you can listen to this as you go on the warpath against bugs.

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #9,027 of 11,833
How do u like your KFC, I mean 7N7 tubes? Comparing to the 6sn7w?

I don't use my 7N7 much now. With so many 6sn7 to choose from, I'm resisting using adapters as much as possible.

Using any of the 6sn7 sounds good and musical but 6sn7w lets in the light more. It reveals more. That is quite obvious when comparing with other 6sn7s. However, as I said before, you don't always want to or need to hear everything. Sometimes we are just happy to snap on the HD650 and just enjoy good old fashion music. Other times, we want to put on the HD800 and listen to the singers breathe in between each line.

Btw I lied. I never like KFC. I won't expand on it because I might get sued.

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #9,028 of 11,833
once I upgrade to Yggdrasil / Euforia / HD800. Notice that I'm saying "once", not "if"; and I still think I'll have a hard time letting go of my current setup. A very sweet spot indeed!

I would be lying if I say that your current Meridian Explorer 2 > Elise > HD600 didn't sound good. However, the weakness there is the DAC, believe me. It's not the most revealing DAC but then again as I said, time and time again, sometimes we don't need to or want to hear everything. It's just like my previous NAD d1050. I didn't think I was missing anything using it. It was a bit warm and relaxing, When someone made a comment that it sounded 'blur' I took offence. :) I told myself, this guy knows nothing, absolutely nothing. I don't want to or need to hear everything. I only need to hear the essentials notes. You know the midrange? because midrange is king.

However I was wrong..so wrong. Yggy showed me that you can have your midrange aka king, as well as your treble aka your sharp mistress and your bass aka your voluptuous mistress. In other words, you can have everything and still enjoy it musically. Yup key word here is musically. That Yggy does and does so well, you wonder how it is possible.

So.... upgrading to Yggy > Euforia > HD800 should be enough for most king.... unless you're not most king. This setup will run rings around your previous setup. This is the beautiful or frustrating thing about a head-fi system. Just when you think you have the best, along comes a better best until you go bust.

In all this, I'm reminded what a great contribution Steve Jobs has on mankind. He gave us a simple and cheap device. An Apple iPod and a ear bud. You could just enjoy music with that and not worry about spending too much. However you then realise that Steve has an incredible vinyl system that he listens to, when he wasn't telling us how great iPod was. That's all in the past now though. Who cares about iPod now. All we want is our Utopia.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #9,029 of 11,833
I have three Raytheon6080 wb slotted graphite plate tubes am willing to part with

Why?

Next to the Gec 6as7g, the Bendix 6080wb are my most cherished power tubes. It is my Chief Of Staff remember? Or the Master Chef in Halo? Don't let the Raytheon 6080wb go. Those solid graphite plates are solid gold.

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #9,030 of 11,833
Often times when I start writing I don't really know how I will end. You just have to let it go with the flow. As your mind takes you.

Listen to this Jim Carrey impressions of Clint Eastwood. He had no preparation but he said all the right things... enough to make Clint himself laugh. That in essence is a gift. Make yourself laugh... well forget about making others laugh. If you can't make yourself laugh, forget about making others laugh. It has to work on yourself first. Try it...... say something funny to yourself....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back