Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jun 23, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #8,821 of 11,833
BTW. Speaking of moderator, do you know who's ours is? I guess we are such a commendable group of human beings he/she never has to get involved.

If it's a 'she' I'll start talking animatedly. I'll use colourful languages. I'll speak in French to impress her. I might try German if Lobster teach me Germaine. What language do you know?

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #8,822 of 11,833
I have this on one of her albums, always enjoyed this

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #8,823 of 11,833
This is Joan Baez best song. My eyes gets misty when I reminisce the old days long long ago.... when I was still in Singapore. When I was in the army... when I was awarded the 'Marksman' badge because the guy next to me, shot at my target and I got 19 out 20 points. The morale of the story is ... some things are not meant to be but enjoy it anyway.

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #8,824 of 11,833
Move aside Pavarotti .... this is the real thing. Engelbert Humperdinck is a great singer. Don't you agree?

Now please release me for I have to go ........ to zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #8,825 of 11,833
I confess I have been listening to Youtube for the last 2 hours using my best tubes - this pair look so colour coordinated and sound so good, it's unreal. Makes Youtube sound good would you believe it?

Sylvania 6sn7wgt and Gec 6as7g

20170624_004017.jpg

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #8,826 of 11,833
Love the picture of Elise and Euforia together. I often find YouTube to be quite good. Don't know what their bitrate or resolution or whatever is, but often very enjoyable.

Sorry the video quality of Song Catcher is so poor. It is a wonderful movie if you ever have a chance to see it on DVD or something. I saw it in a theater many years ago while visiting Wisconsin and it had quite an impact on me.

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #8,827 of 11,833
Hi UT,,
First of all, I have never written out the full spelling of the S brand that is the mode du jour. Prefer to stick to traditional values of expression.

Second of all, did you know that you have Beryllium in your house? Yes sir, one of your tubes uses Beryllium :

upload_2017-6-23_12-22-52.png

And you want to sell it????

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #8,828 of 11,833
Hi UT,

Ever since I got my Euforia, YouTube sounds much better than before.

About mixing tubes (of the same kind) I have very good results using different 6SN7 tubes. Just found in my 6SN7 box what I think is a RCA VT-231. It has no markings on it except for yellow letters on the glass that say 512F, Visually it looks like the RCA VT-231 so that is what I think it is, unless there are other smoked glass tubes that look the same.... Sounds good with a Sylvania Chrome Top.

The tube looks very similar to this (but no markings):
upload_2017-6-23_13-23-16.jpeg

Jun 23, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #8,829 of 11,833
Hi UT,

Ever since I got my Euforia, YouTube sounds much better than before.

About mixing tubes (of the same kind) I have very good results using different 6SN7 tubes. Just found in my 6SN7 box what I think is a RCA VT-231. It has no markings on it except for yellow letters on the glass that say 512F, Visually it looks like the RCA VT-231 so that is what I think it is, unless there are other smoked glass tubes that look the same.... Sounds good with a Sylvania Chrome Top.

The tube looks very similar to this (but no markings):

Mordy, yes. It is RCA VT-231. CRC- code
IMG_0834.JPG

Jun 23, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #8,830 of 11,833
Mordy, yes. It is RCA VT-231. CRC- code
Hi myphone,

Thanks - not bad for $2-4 in a mixed lot of 6SN7 tubes a couple of years ago. Also got 3 Sylvania Chrome tops at the same time, not to speak about about the Channel Master 6SN7GTB and some 20 others - Tung Sol, Raytheon, RCA, Sylvania, GE etc. .

I find it very interesting to get inexpensive lots of tubes and then go through them to see what I like - no preconceived ideas; only what I hear. And I enjoy researching the date codes and the rebranded names and trying to identify the manufacturer. Ever heard of Stromberberg-Carlson, Baldwin, Philco, Capeheart etc? (I'm sure you do). It is also interesting that it is rare to get a non functioning tube.

As a rule I found eBay very useful for identifying tubes and to figure out which ones are more desirable - just go by a consensus of price. Then try to buy the same expensive tube from somebody selling off his grandfather's TV repair shop instead of a professional seller......

Almost all of them sound good with the Euforia so far.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #8,831 of 11,833
Second of all, did you know that you have Beryllium in your house? Yes sir, one of your tubes uses Beryllium :

Ah ha ha, Ooooooskari, I think my price for the Valvo C3g/s has just quadruple ..... omg I have beryllium.

Now to scrutinise the HD800 and Yggy. There might be beryllium in it.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #8,832 of 11,833
I find it very interesting to get inexpensive lots of tubes and then go through them to see what I like - no preconceived ideas; only what I hear. And I enjoy researching the date codes and the rebranded names and trying to identify the manufacturer. Ever heard of Stromberberg-Carlson, Baldwin, Philco, Capeheart etc? (I'm sure you do). It is also interesting that it is rare to get a non functioning tube.

Indeed Mordy. There's a bonus in focusing on 6sn7 and 6as7. There are bargains to be had on ebay if you buy the odd stack of tubes sold at very cheap prices. Usually it's sold by widows of collectors who have gone to St Peter's gates. Sob.... can't imagine that will happen to my tubes one day.... anyone buying my pair of Gec 6as7g cheap may end up with a stroke and join me at St Peter's gates.

Anyhoo, there are bargains to be had by buying singles. Also in Elise and Euforia, you can certainly mix and match 6sn7 brands in the pair and still get a homogeneous tone..... or one that is not easily differentiated under the spell of a few reds. :wine_glass:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back