Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Feb 15, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #6,436 of 11,833
Figaro has landed. A check to ensure everything is ok and that it's singing. A quick A/B with Elise just to get a glimpse at this point. No further comments will be made now except that both are singing like shelahs. I'm a happy man indeed to be bless with these 2 amps.

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #6,437 of 11,833
She's a monster. I left the volume at 9pm and when I press play with hd650 on, I almost jump out of my chair. Have to lower it to 8pm now. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Tubes are Siemens EF80 and Tung Sol 5998.

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #6,438 of 11,833
Nice looking bit of kit UT.
I "get" the separate volume controls for each channel, but think I'd find having 2 completely separate knobs tiresome after a while.
IMO the way STAX implement that is a more elegant solution.

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #6,439 of 11,833
  Nice looking bit of kit UT.
I "get" the separate volume controls for each channel, but think I'd find having 2 completely separate knobs tiresome after a while.
IMO the way STAX implement that is a more elegant solution.

Very neat. Same volume knob for both channels. Pity you couldn't be at the Sydney meet in March. Would love to listen to your Stax.

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #6,442 of 11,833
Very true about the RR Eiji Oue / Minnesota Orchestra @hypnos1, a true audiophile classic! Have been listening to the Rachmaninov and the Exotic Dances for I can't remember how long... One of my favorites, definitely. But what's "Clannad"? Never heard of it.

Hi angpsi...our mutual friend (isn't that a classic Dickens novel lol?!!
wink_face.gif
) @Oskari has already answered for me...and the reason I like most of their work isn't just because I love it, but also because combining acoustic and electronic within their modern take on Celtish folk music - plus some very well-engineered tracks - it covers a fair gamut of sound quality indices lol!
biggrin.gif

Received my 4- EL12 adapters and 2 EL3N adapters from mrsx today. Just over two weeks from order Anazing delivery.

Just hooked up two new KT120S for my dac, two new EL12Ns as powers and two already broken in EL3Ns.
I will listen and report in about a week from now. I'm going to run the exact same setup on my Euforia side by side.
Should be interesting!
biggrin.gif

Interesting indeed, aqsw...look forward especially to your comparison of the two amps with those tubes.
And your tube DAC sure is one serious piece of kit now!! 
tongue_smile.gif
darthsmile.gif

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #6,443 of 11,833
  There was a man from Sydney
He had a very strong kidney
And he never got cramps
Because he had many amps

I think your 'she sells seashells by the seashore..' is much better. :)

Rolling amps is so much fun. Wait till Euforia gets here, I'll be blurry eyes everyday. I slept past midnight last night. !

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #6,444 of 11,833
After just a few hours, I find the LF339 really good sounding. Even slightly wider soundstage. Pity she's not getting much exposure now. Equally I'm astonished how well Elise is holding. up. Wait she's more than holding up. Elise with Telefunken EL11 and EL12 is just magical.

A full prognosis will be given after a few weeks later after I have done a few x-rays and ct scans. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #6,445 of 11,833
Are you having the scans of yourself or the amps? Want to make sure you are alright!

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #6,446 of 11,833
Hi again folks...Re. Valvo EL11s and DecentLevi's recent sweeping statement that "when paired with any EL12 will exhibit a channel imbalance of 15%" (and "should only be paired with xxxxxxxx")....given his 'conclusion', based on results from just one pair of tubes(!!), once again, alas, I am compelled to make further comments to his statements that hopefully will give a more accurate picture.

Firstly, there is quite a variation in the Valvo EL11, over and above those he tested : Black Glass with solid oval plates; BG with mesh oval plates; possibly BG with round plates; Grey Glass with probably either shaped plates...in other words, far too much variation for any such bold statement to have any credibility/reliability lol!

Secondly, I personally have tested four  BG Valvo oval mesh plate EL11s and one oval solid plate, plus one Grey Glass Valvo EL11 with a selection of EL12s/EL12N/EL12 'Spezials', and I have not encountered any such channel "imbalance"...(but of course, there's always the possibility of different results from different tubes lol!
wink.gif
).

Hopefully my more in-depth trials may allay any apprehension folks might now have regarding the Valvo EL11/EL12 combo - one single result is no basis for bold, sweeping statements IMHO!!...it requires multiple experiments LOL!
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #6,448 of 11,833
Good thing you are still young enough for all the stess!  It will be hard to sit down to listen some nights and have to not only decide, vinyl, digital, analog cd, LF, Elise, or Eup hope it does not cause sensory overload.

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #6,450 of 11,833
  Hi again folks...Re. Valvo EL11s and DecentLevi's recent sweeping statement that "when paired with any EL12 will exhibit a channel imbalance of 15%" (and "should only be paired with xxxxxxxx")....given his 'conclusion', based on results from just one pair of tubes(!!), once again, alas, I am compelled to make further comments to his statements that hopefully will give a more accurate picture.

Firstly, there is quite a variation in the Valvo EL11, over and above those he tested : Black Glass with solid oval plates; BG with mesh oval plates; possibly BG with round plates; Grey Glass with probably either shaped plates...in other words, far too much variation for any such bold statement to have any credibility/reliability lol!

Secondly, I personally have tested four  BG Valvo oval mesh plate EL11s and one oval solid plate, plus one Grey Glass Valvo EL11 with a selection of EL12s/EL12N/EL12 'Spezials', and I have not encountered any such channel "imbalance"...(but of course, there's always the possibility of different results from different tubes lol!
wink.gif
).

Hopefully my more in-depth trials may allay any apprehension folks might now have regarding the Valvo EL11/EL12 combo - one single result is no basis for bold, sweeping statements IMHO!!...it requires multiple experiments LOL!
biggrin.gif

I hear you @hypnos1 . My Telefunken EL11 and EL12 are REALLY great sounding. So good I hug my knees. With your black Valvo EL11 and mesh plates I'm sure you'll be hugging your gold fishes. 
bigsmile_face.gif

I only wish they are adapted by you with silver wire. Mrs X adapters needs to be seated properly or they get some interference, which is annoying. My experience anyway. Others may have a more positive experience with her EL11 / 12 adapters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back