Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jul 29, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #481 of 11,833
  If it sounds as good as it looks it will be fantastic.

I see they do an R2R chip. I like the NOS sound and once I've sourced a couple of affordable 5998's I'm looking for a new DAC- and this is on the short list. Thanks H1

My pleasure H13....all I can say is that I'm over the moon with my Sabre-based unit, so I see no reason why the others shouldn't be great also (Mykhailo himself loves his Burr Brown-based DAC!).

Certainly got to be near the top of the shortlist IMHO...
biggrin.gif
...and good luck with the 5998s (shame you didn't bag that 'good' $51 best of the best GEC I mentioned recently - with a bit of luck a similar one might just pop up in the future, lol! I simply cannot praise these tubes enough...and they're BRITISH!!...).

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #482 of 11,833

My pleasure H13....all I can say is that I'm over the moon with my Sabre-based unit, so I see no reason why the others shouldn't be great also (Mykhailo himself loves his Burr Brown-based DAC!).

Certainly got to be near the top of the shortlist IMHO...
biggrin.gif
...and good luck with the 5998s (shame you didn't bag that 'good' $51 best of the best GEC I mentioned recently - with a bit of luck a similar one might just pop up in the future, lol! I simply cannot praise these tubes enough...and they're BRITISH!!...).

Yes that was a good buy but I'm hopeless with auctions- I never seem to bid enough!
Anyway there are some T-S around and I would prefer to buy a pair together.
Won't be long. I've some 7236 on the way.
Slowly but surely........

Jul 29, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #483 of 11,833
The hum seems to have disappeared, I shall see if it returns

Jul 29, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #486 of 11,833
I'm listening to this combination now. Surprised I have kept the ECC31 in hibernation for so long. I do like them a lot paired with Chatham 6520. Maybe I'm keeping them for posterity. 

Jul 29, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #488 of 11,833
Listening to a bit of Dream Theater on my TH-500rp's, this amp is definitely something special...

Jul 29, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #489 of 11,833
This fellow: Trace Bundy - is coming to Sydney and London in the coming months. I have seen him a number of times and have tickets to see him again, in November:

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOoMWnLxHH4[/VIDEO]

He is well worth the effort to go see...

A chance for UT and H1 to both take him in...

http://www.tracebundy.com/shows/

Cheers...

Oh, and BTW, his CD's have incredible SQ....

:p

Jul 29, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #490 of 11,833
  I'm listening to this combination now. Surprised I have kept the ECC31 in hibernation for so long. I do like them a lot paired with Chatham 6520. Maybe I'm keeping them for posterity. 

Or to support you when you enter and old age home))) http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-NOS-MULLARD-ECC31-CV1285-TUBES-VALVE-NIB-NEW-/122030078576?hash=item1c698f3a70:g:IsAAAOSwnNBXagWw

Jul 29, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #491 of 11,833
This fellow: Trace Bundy - is coming to Sydney and London in the coming months. I have seen him a number of times and have tickets to see him again, in November:

He is well worth the effort to go see...

A chance for UT and H1 to both take him in...

http://www.tracebundy.com/shows/

Cheers...

Oh, and BTW, his CD's have incredible SQ....

tongue.gif

Sounds pretty good. One man one guitar to rule the world. AUD$30 to see him perform on the 12th Aug at the Factory Theatre. I think I will go and see him perform.

Thanks for the heads up.

Jul 29, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #492 of 11,833
  Or to support you when you enter and old age home))) http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-NOS-MULLARD-ECC31-CV1285-TUBES-VALVE-NIB-NEW-/122030078576?hash=item1c698f3a70:g:IsAAAOSwnNBXagWw

Wow my ECC31s has appreciated 100%. 
biggrin.gif
 Keep it another 6 months and it might double again. 
biggrin.gif

You have to admit my pair is just as gorgeous. These sound silky smooth and buttery warm. You will simply melt in it. It's like fine exquisite chocolate. 
biggrin.gif
 Don't get me wrong, they are crystal clear with details and exceptional soundstage too. Violins has that zing. It's more than 3D.... 

Jul 30, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #493 of 11,833

Wow my ECC31s has appreciated 100%. 
biggrin.gif
 Keep it another 6 months and it might double again. 
biggrin.gif

You have to admit my pair is just as gorgeous. These sound silky smooth and buttery warm. You will simply melt in it. It's like fine exquisite chocolate. 
biggrin.gif
 Don't get me wrong, they are crystal clear with details and exceptional soundstage too. Violins has that zing. It's more than 3D.... 

Yo UT...keep a hold of them - and not just as an investment, lol...the more I hear them with my new tube DAC, the more heartbroken I'm becoming about my beloved EL3Ns! My ECC31s never sounded this good (which is saying something, as they were GREAT!), even though my previous DAC was no slouch. Obviously, another prime example of system synergy at work here - the tube DAC's implementation of the Sabre ES9018 chip, plus the Tesla E88CCs must be doing far more for the Mullards than the EL3Ns, alas! There are odd moments when the EL3N's extra warmth and intimacy are enticing - especially on some female vocals - but the 31s are now bringing out even more detail, with even more 'air' and separation than ever before.

This is going to take me much longer than I thought to get a full and final assessment between these drivers - for the first time ever, I may just have to consider choosing tubes to match the music/recording...something I was (and still am!) very reluctant to do, given my amp's sockets punishment LOL! (I suppose I could always make myself some 'super' socket saver adapters, but I hate adding any extras to the signal line...).

And so, UT, in the event of you possibly upgrading your already very good DAC in the future (but would certainly recommend a tubed one!), I repeat...KEEP THOSE ECC31s!!
wink_face.gif
...CHEERS!

Jul 30, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #494 of 11,833

Yo UT...keep a hold of them - and not just as an investment, lol...the more I hear them with my new tube DAC, the more heartbroken I'm becoming about my beloved EL3Ns! My ECC31s never sounded this good (which is saying something, as they were GREAT!), even though my previous DAC was no slouch. Obviously, another prime example of system synergy at work here - the tube DAC's implementation of the Sabre ES9018 chip, plus the Tesla E88CCs must be doing far more for the Mullards than the EL3Ns, alas! There are odd moments when the EL3N's extra warmth and intimacy are enticing - especially on some female vocals - but the 31s are now bringing out even more detail, with even more 'air' and separation than ever before.

This is going to take me much longer than I thought to get a full and final assessment between these drivers - for the first time ever, I may just have to consider choosing tubes to match the music/recording...something I was (and still am!) very reluctant to do, given my amp's sockets punishment LOL! (I suppose I could always make myself some 'super' socket saver adapters, but I hate adding any extras to the signal line...).

And so, UT, in the event of you possibly upgrading your already very good DAC in the future (but would certainly recommend a tubed one!), I repeat...KEEP THOSE ECC31s!!
wink_face.gif
...CHEERS!

H1, glad you're back in the swing of tube rolling, no doubt spurred on by your new tube DAC. I'm quite happy with my NAD d1050 (which has a British sound
wink.gif
 Cirrus Logic chip) and any attempt to change it will surely have me banished to the dog's house as this is the wife's gift. 
biggrin.gif

Problem is settling on a set of drivers because I've a great many that sound amazing. Take this Five 6N7G brown base for instance. I think it's a cross between ECC31 and 6N7G, like a cute Cavoodle, basically a mongrel lol but the sound will put the pure bred to shame. 
biggrin.gif

beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back