Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Oct 10, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #2,851 of 11,833
  Visseaux drivers from 1956 are teamed with TS 5998s of a similar vintage.
They sound as good as they look.
Not quite as dynamic or as large a sound stage as the EL3N, but at least with some tracks a touch more musical - and sound stage and dynamics still more than adequate.
Thanks again for your advice @UntilThen

My pleasure Sporky. You've a good mix of tubes giving a wide range of tones now. Elise has become more interesting as a result.

The Visseaux or Mazda 6N7G are outstanding drivers but I keep returning to EL3N as drivers though. It's what the T1 needs. Smooths out the highs and gives it a full body.

Oct 10, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #2,852 of 11,833
  Hi FR,

Are you sure the Sylvania tube died? If it has a white coating on the glass it lost the vacuum and is dead, but in my experience tubes that suddenly don't work may only need a cleaning of the pins to come back to life.

Really no white coat on top (clear) I can´t see nothing on the base and meddle glass because they are coated (grey and silver). I will try another time to clean those pins again. Thank you

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #2,853 of 11,833

these are monk plus.  i hated them when i first put them on --- thought they sounded awful --- but then next day, the monk appeared.

I'm surprised at the many reviews for these $5 earbuds. If a monk appears, I would run for cover. I think they should call it something else. 

Nevertheless my interest is pique. I'll give it a listen.

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #2,854 of 11,833
  Thanks. Is the PCC88 tube clear with fast / hard hitting dynamics? If so, which brand of this tube? And does it work with the likes of a 6DJ8 adapter?

no adapter req'd --- pin for pin compatible <edit>(i mean it is pin for pin compatible with 6dj8 - not directly useable in elise w/o adapter). 

i forget which one i have --- siemens, valvo, amperex?  right now, it's lost amongst the tubes in the chest of drawers & i'm just too lazy to dig everything out today.    i really liked this tube (used with earlier tube amps, not the elise) with 6as7g.  also, maybe check out telefunken e188cc.  iirc, in my previous setup it was very lively, exceptional dynamics with great clarity but not overly warm in tonality - even better than the pcc88.  very hard to find for a good price & beware of fakes.

there's a bit of a mistrust with these 6v jobs (6dj8) -- quite a few of them turn out to be too noisy &  this spurred the development of the 12v series (12ax7, 12au7, 12at7). unfortunately, u cannot use these in elise w/o external biasing.

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #2,855 of 11,833
  I'm surprised at the many reviews for these $5 earbuds. If a monk appears, I would run for cover. I think they should call it something else. 

Nevertheless my interest is pique. I'll give it a listen.

keep in mind, it is an earbud & despite some overwhelming praise in some quarters, it is no hd800, t1 or even hd600. i do not know how these over-the-top accolades come to fruition.

when one's hunger can be abated by a bowl of 'jook' then a monk will also suffice.
<edit>  i've had some great jook in the past -- easily up there with the best steaks i've had.

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #2,857 of 11,833
there's a bit of a mistrust with these 6v jobs (6dj8) -- quite a few of them turn out to be too noisy &  this spurred the development of the 12v series (12ax7, 12au7, 12at7). unfortunately, u cannot use these in elise w/o external biasing.

Where did you get that (hi)story? The ECC88/6DJ8 is a later type than those so-called 12-volt tubes (with which you can use both 6 and 12 V heating).

Oct 10, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #2,858 of 11,833
Hi g49,

You probably meant external power and not external biasing.

It is not a problem to run 12V tubes in the Elise as long as you have an external power source. Not long ago somebody was selling Tung Sol round plate 12V tubes (12SN7). The 6V versions go for megadollars, but the 12V version are significantly less expansive and supposedly the same except for the voltage.

Interestingly, this seller claimed that these tubes had enough transconductance even at 6V to be acceptable in a 6V amp. I tried very briefly running some other 12SN7 tubes that I have on 6V. (NOT RECOMMENDED - don't try it!)

It did work, but the gain was much lower, and I had to crank up the Elise as well as my power amp to almost full volume to get a descent enough sound level. However, the amp started to get too hot and I had to shut it off. An inquiry to Feliks Audio simply stated that the amp was not designed for this, and therefore not recommended.

As a rule, some desirable tubes are much less expensive in 12V versions than 6V versions. Mrs Xu Ling sells octal adapters with heater leads for an external power source. It is not too difficult to rig it up - any old 12V wall wart with enough amperage will do.

Oct 10, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #2,859 of 11,833
STOP PRESS

I have a spine tingling, hormones inducing moment with 6xEL3N and Patricia Barber. Headphone none other than T1. It's Wagner's tubes of choice. 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Picture taken in Jan 2016. It's been that long since I've been captivated by 6xEL3N.

Oct 10, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #2,860 of 11,833
Guys, please welcome my little mickey mouse, so far it is blowing my mind all alone :D The sound is warm and wide open, even on a T1, that is a huge surprise for me. Struggled to connect it with Elise and I finally did. For some reason it is not hitting the sweet spot with Elise as an external amp, initially listened to it with stock 6SN7 and TS7236, then switched to EL3N/5998, still not hitting the sweet spot. 

I got to read a lot about it, for now, the small wonder is mind-blowing on its own, I mean wow. How could a device drive a 600 Ohms phones without the use of op-amps, alone is mind blowing proprietary technology :D Mojo owners on this thread, tell me what's going on?

Oct 10, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #2,861 of 11,833

Where did you get that (hi)story? The ECC88/6DJ8 is a later type than those so-called 12-volt tubes (with which you can use both 6 and 12 V heating).

Let's insert this in the above: because those particular types have heaters that can be connected in either series or parallel.

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #2,864 of 11,833
After reading the article from JACMusic about fake tubes I am a little apprehensive: Is this the real deal?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-G-E-C-CV2984-6080WA-6AS7G-NOS-NIB-same-Date-Code-/391585396416?hash=item5b2c4ef6c0:g:ctYAAOSwLnBX9hrk

s-l1600.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back