Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Sep 24, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #2,341 of 11,833
Oh yes layering...

Sep 24, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #2,342 of 11,833
  Good. It's about time we got back to the main point of this thread which is ______??? Oh, remind me of what that point is????? 
blink.gif
 Oh yeah. Layer cakes then and now 
biggrin.gif

It was layers of hampsters - wasn't it?

Sep 24, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #2,343 of 11,833
I believe it was like this 

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #2,348 of 11,833
So I can hear slight buzzing with the Elise with the volume knob at 12 o'clock and up. Is this something that comes and goes with tube amps? And can I get rid of it with changing tubes? I can't really hear it while listening to music but I can with no music on and I wasn't hearing it before when I first got the Elise.

Sep 24, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #2,349 of 11,833
  So I can hear slight buzzing with the Elise with the volume knob at 12 o'clock and up. Is this something that comes and goes with tube amps? And can I get rid of it with changing tubes? I can't really hear it while listening to music but I can with no music on and I wasn't hearing it before when I first got the Elise.

Is it buzzing or some static sound? I wasn't aware of this until recently on my Elise but this is how it's solved.

First the symptoms. With no music playing and Elise switch on, I turn up the volume gradually and I hear static rustling sound from 1 o'clock onwards. As if by intuition, I shifted Elise front and position ever so slightly. I did this with the volume still up and no music playing until the sound goes away and it does. Why that's a problem and how that would solve it, I don't know. I can only conclude it's picking up some interference from other devices or the cables are touching. 

Try that and see if that solves your problem.

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #2,351 of 11,833
This guy thinks Audirvana Plus 2.5 with Tidal sounds great. Here's what he says. :)

If you haven't tried it, you haven't lived.
Lifts veils, liquid sound-stage, punches above its price-point. Gets the most out of my $35K USB cable.
Extremely impressive implementation.

What do I think? Yes it's better than Tidal Hi-Fi as Audirvana Plus up samples it. Shimmeringly crystal clear. :)

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #2,352 of 11,833
A seasoned industry insider / hobbyist told me the Bimby DAC is slightly darker tonality, as well as the Elise and HD 650 (he's tried my Elise also). I'm sure he's mistaken on the Elise amp, but I'll tell ya my ears yearning for more detail / linearity. I like the Bimby enough to keep it though for it's realism, but it seems as if this pairing is dark enough to oust the HD 650 for now, which is also darker than neutral, even with my mod. EL3N's also aren't clearing things up in this chain either, unless for bright recordings. Though I was absolutely floored with the HD 600 pairing with the Elise - one with extensive burn-in, and had snappiness and clarity to write home about. 

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #2,353 of 11,833
A seasoned industry insider / hobbyist told me the Bimby DAC is slightly darker tonality, as well as the Elise and HD 650 (he's tried my Elise also). I'm sure he's mistaken on the Elise amp, but I'll tell ya my ears yearning for more detail / linearity. I like the Bimby enough to keep it though for it's realism, but it seems as if this pairing is dark enough to oust the HD 650 for now, which is also darker than neutral, even with my mod. EL3N's also aren't clearing things up in this chain either, unless for bright recordings. I was super impressed with the HD 600 pairing with the Elise - one with extensive burn-in, and had snappiness and clarity to write home about. 

I have been in your situation before. My response was to modify the HD650, assuming you haven't already. The HD600 is fantastic in its own right, however. If I were you, I would save for Gumby and consider the funds from selling the Bimby in your budget for that amazing DAC.

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #2,354 of 11,833
I have been in your situation before. My response was to modify the HD650, assuming you haven't already. The HD600 is fantastic in its own right, however. If I were you, I would save for Gumby and consider the funds from selling the Bimby in your budget for that amazing DAC.

Thanks ms. Junyuan! Yeah I used to want the Gungnir. My Bimby not only seems dark-ish, but also a smidget too euphonic / colored which further hampers its' pairing with the Elise (making it double colored), necessitating 'colder' / brighter sounding tubes, which may prove a struggle. I bought this DAC new and still have a few days in the 14 day return period. Would you really say the Gumby is more neutral / un-colored and worth the upgrade? 

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #2,355 of 11,833
Thanks ms. Junyuan! Yeah I used to want the Gungnir. My Bimby not only seems dark-ish, but also a smidget too euphonic / colored which further hampers its' pairing with the Elise (making it double colored), necessitating 'colder' / brighter sounding tubes, which may prove a struggle. I bought this DAC new and still have a few days in the 14 day return period. Would you really say the Gumby is more neutral / un-colored and worth the upgrade? 

This is OT but I would say from everything I have read about the Bimby, it is too soft and euphonic for my tastes. Gumby is musical, engaging, and highly resolving--close to Yggy. I owned it for almost a year. From what I can tell, the Modi Multibit and Gumby are the price/performance sweet spots of Schiit's multibit offerings and that MM is closer in tonality to the Gumby. Bimby needs an update.

If you are dissapoined in the Bimby (and you are not alone), I would suggest you return it rather than try to make up for its excessive softness, buy the Modi Multibit, and save for the Gumby.

Sorry for the OT but perhaps some readers might find it useful.

Synergy between amp/DAC is not unimportant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back