Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Sep 22, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #2,267 of 11,833
You'll need to let your ears get used to the T1 sound :D All of us have T1 headphones here, make sure it's the 20k plus serial number, they are the most sought out, I learnt this when I was fishing mine lol

CF helped me to fund the T1 purchase - he decided not to sell his 5998's. :beyersmile:
I was underwhelmed with the HE-400i so I sold them.
I also found a buyer for my turntable - I really can't be bothered with vinyl.

That was plenty for some used T1's - and I still have some left over for maybe some more tubes.

I doubt I'll give up fishing. It's my quiet time (I often fish alone from my kayak all day).
Haven't felt the need to ruin a perfectly good walk with a silly little white ball for years.
I can eat and music at the same time. 

Hope I like the T1s as much as you guys do.

Sep 22, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #2,268 of 11,833
You'll need to let your ears get used to the T1 sound
biggrin.gif
All of us have T1 headphones here, make sure it's the 20k plus serial number, they are the most sought out, I learnt this when I was fishing mine lol

Now you tell me about what SN to get...
Not sure what the ones I bought are - will find out in a week or so I guess.

I'll give my ears adequate time to adjust. Gave the HE-400i a week without touching any other HPs. I figure that should be enough to know whether they suit my tastes or not - the T1s seem to suit most ppl. paired with Elise, so should be right I hope.

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #2,269 of 11,833
Hi richdytch,

I have come to the same conclusion re tubes - don't sell 'em off so fast... Just like you, I have been surprised when tubes that were so so or even meh suddenly sounded great paired with different tubes.

Which leads me to the hundred or more 6AK5/EF95 family of tubes collecting dust. I'll guess that the Mullard and Voskhod tubes will find takers......Anybody interested in GE/Sylvania/Amperex/Raytheon/RCA/Tung Sol etc etc?

I am keeping the Ei 6HM5 tubes.

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #2,270 of 11,833
Somebody wondered about what layering means - here is my take on this subject. Feel free to comment....

Ever looked at a parked car that looked black, only to discover that it really is a very dark green or very dark blue car? Some materials look like one color, but when you look carefully you realize that it is a material that is black with a hue of blue, green, red etc etc.

Certain tubes bring out layers in the music that you did not hear or realize were there before. This is not the same as hearing a voice, a cough, a bus driving by,  in a recording you listened to many times and never noticed before. That has to do with resolution and detail. But hearing a rhythm section much clearer or deeper,  or several instruments in the background that you did not hear before, all this adds another layer to the music and make it much richer.

So many of the Elise owners report that old, familiar recordings sound new again, but I think that this has to do with the resolution and lively presentation of the Elise. Layering is another dimension that adds to this, but this is tube dependent.

Just my 2 cents......

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #2,271 of 11,833
  Now you tell me about what SN to get...
Not sure what the ones I bought are - will find out in a week or so I guess.

I'll give my ears adequate time to adjust. Gave the HE-400i a week without touching any other HPs. I figure that should be enough to know whether they suit my tastes or not - the T1s seem to suit most ppl. paired with Elise, so should be right I hope.

I wouldn't worry about the serial number too much. Mine's an earlier serial number and I've heard 3 other T1 G1 with later serial numbers at the meet, including a black colored anniversary model and they don't sound different from each other. That black model did sound better.

If anything, I thought mine sounded a touch clearer because of the Litz 7N ultra pure OCC copper cable. 
biggrin.gif

However I doubt I can tell the difference in a blind test. 

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #2,272 of 11,833
  Somebody wondered about what layering means - here is my take on this subject. Feel free to comment....

Ever looked at a parked car that looked black, only to discover that it really is a very dark green or very dark blue car? Some materials look like one color, but when you look carefully you realize that it is a material that is black with a hue of blue, green, red etc etc.

Certain tubes bring out layers in the music that you did not hear or realize were there before. This is not the same as hearing a voice, a cough, a bus driving by,  in a recording you listened to many times and never noticed before. That has to do with resolution and detail. But hearing a rhythm section much clearer or deeper,  or several instruments in the background that you did not hear before, all this adds another layer to the music and make it much richer.

So many of the Elise owners report that old, familiar recordings sound new again, but I think that this has to do with the resolution and lively presentation of the Elise. Layering is another dimension that adds to this, but this is tube dependent.

Just my 2 cents......

That's a very good explanation. When I talk about a combination of tubes, like the 6 pack in Elise, bringing out the colour of a piano, it's that layering of the sound I'm referring to.

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #2,273 of 11,833

Just my 2 cents......

Mordy. It was I who raised that issue. It's probably just a matter of semantics. When I hear someone talk about "layering" it bring to my mind a mental picture of peeling away layers of an onion, and I feel that they are hearing distinct, identifiable "layers" such as I have never been able to identify or hear. However I can relate to descriptions of "resolution and detail". But, candidly, I have not experienced very often hearing something really "new" in a recording that I have not heard before.

Having said that, I certainly have heard recordings in a new way by use of certain tube combos or such as when I compare my Elise to my Valhalla2. But I usually experience that as better tonal balance, better integration of the FR from bottom to top, better imaging, wider or deeper soundstage or improved dynamics. And assuming my preference is not due to expectation bias, placebo effect or lack of proper volume level matching, I believe each of those qualities could be identified in some way though proper comparison measuring (FR, crosstalk, distortion, etc) and comparison of the two different waveforms produced by whatever I am comparing.

What that all boils down to for me is that when I hear a comparison between two different tube combos, amps, DACs or headphones that results in a preference of one over the other I usually just feel like the one I like better is closer to what I expect a live performance to sound like. It also may mean that with long term listening I don't experience listener fatigue and find it hard to end a listening session. And in the end, that really is just a personal preference.

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #2,274 of 11,833
  Hi richdytch,

I have come to the same conclusion re tubes - don't sell 'em off so fast... Just like you, I have been surprised when tubes that were so so or even meh suddenly sounded great paired with different tubes.

Which leads me to the hundred or more 6AK5/EF95 family of tubes collecting dust. I'll guess that the Mullard and Voskhod tubes will find takers......Anybody interested in GE/Sylvania/Amperex/Raytheon/RCA/Tung Sol etc etc?

I am keeping the Ei 6HM5 tubes.

I had a load of EF95's. Gave them to a friend who had an el cheapo Chinese amp which used them as drivers.
One day he brought his amp round to show me and I slotted it into my system.
It sounded mediocre, then I noticed the power tube was a stock Chinese 6AS7. I swapped in a 5998 and that amp suddenly sounded like a very expensive piece of kit.
Those EF95's I reckon are underrated, maybe because they are so small.

Sep 22, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #2,276 of 11,833
  This is my layers as in the Layer Cake movie. Nice beat. 
happy_face1.gif

I get no respect!!! I try to provide clear guidance regarding terminology and it just falls on deaf ears - no doubt the result of excessive headphone usage. I cast my pearls before swine 
L3000.gif

This is my layers as in the Layer Cake movie. Nice beat. 
happy_face1.gif

With all the "layers" of bass in that video I too now have deaf ears 
confused_face.gif

Sep 22, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #2,278 of 11,833
Yo @mordy and @pctazhp...tricky subject, layers
rolleyes.gif

Y'know, although it may sound daft, for me this quality materialises less as something purely auditory, but more imaginatory...ie. when closing my eyes, in my mind's eye it's as though either different tones etc. within a single instrument, or a combo of instruments/voices, literally seem to be floating in separate "layers" - but in a way that is much more cohesive than mere 'normal' so-called "better separation/positioning" or "air between instruments" etc. etc., and in no way disjointed or unbalanced...

This presupposes a certain aptitude in 'visualising' images in one's mind, and might possibly go towards accounting for differences between people's experience, depending upon the degree of this particular mind attribute....just a thought LOL!
tongue.gif

ps. Why don't you try it some time, folks...and all the better if you have mastered any kind of "relaxation" techniques, such as meditation or self-hypnosis...(by the way, if you are adept at reaching the deeper levels, if you haven't already done so, choose a favourite piece - preferably one with bags of emotion! - and play it once down there...you might be quite surprised...to say the least!!
wink_face.gif
. You might even be treated to the 'layers' experience...
biggrin.gif
...)....CHEERS!...

Sep 22, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #2,279 of 11,833
I gave up on self meditation, as whenever I closed my eyes, and got deep in the music, the dog would either bark and startle the bejeepers out of me, or he would take some of whatever snack I had laid out for my self.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back