Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jul 12, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #137 of 11,833
Very matching colour black and white. I have no idea those 6A6 will work as power tubes. That combo sounds ok?

I have often wanted to try those cv181.

6A6 are nice and quiet as power tubes too. Not quite as loud as 6AS7's so I had the vol on 11 instead of 10 o'clock for normal listening -  handy listening at low volume when can use a bit more of the vol pot.

My two CV181's have slightly different sized bottles, but sound identical.

Yes the K-R 6A6 sound nice as powers. As drivers they were clear and cool sounding with the dual 6J5+6BL7 combo as powers, as powers the 6A6's in the set ups pictured above are warm and smooth sounding, still very clear though.

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #138 of 11,833
Ha the left is taller than the right. Looks bigger too.

When I bought my brand new 5998, they were identical but gradually as I burn them in, before my eyes, one got shorter than the other. Horrors.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #140 of 11,833
Hello everyone) I've been pretty busy with some family things the last few days, but now have more time and chance to catch up. Seems the thread is going very nicely))

@UntilThen. Your beach setting for Elise looks like heaven. Hope you are having a wonderful time. Seems like you, me and @mordy are of like mind regarding the EL3N/7236 combo. I'm sticking with that for now.

@hypnos1 I don't think you are barking up the wrong tree regarding the EL3N. Please keep on barking )))

Hope everyone had a nice weekend )))

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #141 of 11,833
  OMG, sounds like something out of Edgar Alan Poe.

Are you referring to the 5998 or @UntilThen ???  
k701smile.gif

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #142 of 11,833
Regarding up-sampling. I feel so stupid when it comes to any technical discussion of digital. I think my BiFrost Multibit up-samples and I think using the Schiit driver is the best for that DAC. Beyond that, I'll keep my dunce cap on and just listen 
frown.gif

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #143 of 11,833
Hi Guys,

I am back, nice to see a new thread and old members :D @UntilThen Thanks for inviting me, I was busy in rolling headphones hehe

@DecentLevi I heard CD quality all my life on a Bur Brown DAC, this was my first DAC capable of DSD (64 and 128} playback, internals are hand picked and matched, Dual DAC Sabre ICs and Femto Clocks.

The jump in SQ was phenomenal, I have more than 2000 DSD albums now, and I am never going back. I have also realised that, if the mastering is good, even CD or HDTracks recording can beat the DSD files. Overall, I will suggest people to upgrade their DAC SW to play DSD or get a DSD capable DAC, it is one hell of an experience. DSD64 is 64 times CD quality, and so on. I have noticed that DSD music is warmer sounding, relaxed, detailed and with darker back ground. The files are very large, one album is about 1-2 GB, you need a good media SW to play these files like JRiver, the laptop should be good to handle these big files to play them from memory. I have to tell you this, it all depends upon the DAC, if you have the chance to listen to couple of DACs then it is going to help you pick one. I picked the one with good internals and technical advancement going inside. Plus, add a decent linear power supply to get most out of your DAC.

Will post my latest updates soon :)

Cheers
LR

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #145 of 11,833
  Regarding up-sampling. I feel so stupid when it comes to any technical discussion of digital. I think my BiFrost Multibit up-samples and I think using the Schiit driver is the best for that DAC. Beyond that, I'll keep my dunce cap on and just listen 
frown.gif

Me too. I only listen to CD's so what would I know about bits and sampling. 
happy_face1.gif

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #146 of 11,833
Welcome back LR. Thanks for sharing your DSD experience. Understood what you mean regarding good recording and mastering of albums. I bought about 30 audiophile CDs during the car audio days and they do sound much clearer, full of details. I have 'Closer to the Music' Vol 1,2,3 for example and it sounds really good. Rebecca Pidgeon, Patricia Barber and Sara K albums are very good too.

However these days, I'm back to listening to what is available, be it 70s or 80s music on Youtube. 
beyersmile.png
 or vinyl of which I have about 39 now. 
biggrin.gif

Now I'm waiting to hear and see your new toys.

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #147 of 11,833
@pctazhp and @HOWIE13 just enjoy the music and don't be caught up with audiophilia. 
L3000.gif

Remember even my singing can sound good if played through Elise. 

A well recorded CD, Redbook format, can sound very good too. Some of the software players like Audirvana Plus and JRiver does make the flac files ripped from CDs sound much better. You will hear a marked difference compared with vanilla iTunes.  

@pctazhp I'm really chilling out here. It's lovely watching sunrise and sunsets and good food. Tomorrow the low pressure systems shift towards the south eastern parts of Australia and it will be 5 degrees lower for us. Now that will be COLD in winter. I'm going to start up the indoor fire place, fire up my headgear, put up my feet and strapped on the headphone.

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #149 of 11,833
  It is past midnight and I am enthralled by the sound of the Elise with EL3N and 7236 tubes.

Slow and Easy Blues by Jimmy Yancey:

Another tune: Yancey's Bugle Call: (Almost time to get up again....)

Glad you're enjoying the "one tube per socket" sound mordy...those 7236s sure do seem to be great value-for-money - hats off to @UntilThen for bringing them onto the scene!
biggrin.gif
...(now your appetite's been whetted mon ami, you've just GOT to work your magic on ferreting out a nice pair of GEC/Osram/MWT CV2523/A1834s LOL!!
wink_face.gif
)....GOOD HUNTING!!!...

@HOWIE13 I'm away a few days too but Elise is with me. Getting some sea breeze here now. Pretty sure it's adding to more air and breeziness to my music.

And there was I thinking it was your ageing ears working the magic, lol!!
wink_face.gif
. Sounds like you're having a great time at the beach, UT...good one!!...ENJOY!...
beerchug.gif

I am using in my 53th Elise, stock powers and Psvane TII Series CV181 as drivers. Very good extended bass and 3D image. Waiting for ordered power tubes Chatham JAN-6AS7G tubes -copper rods-3 mica to have a new opinion

Welcome f-rea...I too liked those PsVanes - and very nice-looking tubes they are! I'm sure you will also like the Chathams...very well-respected powers indeed.
Look forward to your eventual findings...with even more hours on your amp - how many so far?...

Okay,

Couldn't resist posting these pictures of some nice sounding tubes in lovely Elise. She sounds like soft velvet with the CV181/6A6 and ECC88 Mullard/6A6.

The K-R 6A6 must be one the most beautiful looking tubes ever made. Most suitable to compliment Elise. 

Looks beautiful, H13...

Would love to know how those Chinese CV181s compare to the PsVane CV181 TIIs...or even more so the ECC31/ECC32/original CV181...

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #150 of 11,833
  Hi Guys,

I am back, nice to see a new thread and old members :D @UntilThen Thanks for inviting me, I was busy in rolling headphones hehe

@DecentLevi I heard CD quality all my life on a Bur Brown DAC, this was my first DAC capable of DSD (64 and 128} playback, internals are hand picked and matched, Dual DAC Sabre ICs and Femto Clocks.

The jump in SQ was phenomenal, I have more than 2000 DSD albums now, and I am never going back. I have also realised that, if the mastering is good, even CD or HDTracks recording can beat the DSD files. Overall, I will suggest people to upgrade their DAC SW to play DSD or get a DSD capable DAC, it is one hell of an experience. DSD64 is 64 times CD quality, and so on. I have noticed that DSD music is warmer sounding, relaxed, detailed and with darker back ground. The files are very large, one album is about 1-2 GB, you need a good media SW to play these files like JRiver, the laptop should be good to handle these big files to play them from memory. I have to tell you this, it all depends upon the DAC, if you have the chance to listen to couple of DACs then it is going to help you pick one. I picked the one with good internals and technical advancement going inside. Plus, add a decent linear power supply to get most out of your DAC.

Will post my latest updates soon :)

Cheers
LR

Good to hear from you again LR...(not bankrupt yet after all those DSD albums lol?!!
eek.gif
wink_face.gif
).

I agree that the DAC is a VERY important element in the system - your Geek Pulse sounds fantastic. Would love to hear one side-by-side with my Sabre-clad tube DAC (no DSD though)...but my wallet would undoubtedly wilt next to yours, alas!!
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back