Feel the current?
Dec 6, 2012 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

btankey

New Head-Fier
Don't know if this is a dumb question (since I'm fairly new to head-fi, etc) but I have a receiver (Sherwood S-9200CP from 1981) that I use to occasionally drive my headphones (HE400 and K550), using the Audioengine D1 as a DAC/preamp, and sometimes feel like there's too much current... i.e. it seems like I can feel the current, and it becomes fatiguing pretty fast at (what seems to me) similar volume levels than listening straight from my D1.  I'm guessing the receiver puts out a lot more juice than my D1 (and makes the bass more dynamic), and am wondering if anyone has experience with this? Could I be actually feeling the increased current?  Is it more likely I'm listening to a higher volume than I realize?  Could this be doing damage to me or to the headphones?  Thanks in advance

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 6
Just a guess, but there may be a couple of carbon resistors on the headphone output.  That probably gives the sensation of "wooly" power because of inherent, but variable, distortion that exists in a typical carbon resistor.

Maybe that explains what you're experiencing.  I doubt seriously you're experiencing anything that could be damaging personally, but distortion can burn out drivers/cause fatigue much faster than otherwise, I think.

BTW, I had a Sherwood S-8900A (quadraphonic) at one time in the early 70's - it was one of the last ones made in Chicago and was probably the best receiver I ever owned.  I keep looking for them (or an S-7900A) on ebay, but I'm never in time with enough money.  That may sound contradictory with the above, but nothing's better for your headphones than a dedicated headphone amplifer.  I love receivers, but I'm not part of the crowd that thinks there's a receiver gold mine for headphones out there if someone can just discover it.  Rather, the discrete amplifier stage (for speakers) and the tuner is something that's just not available anymore. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the response... I'm torn because I like the increased bass response of my receiver, which I attributed to increased current, but do find the receiver puts in some distortion (is less accessible to immediate detail), yet have no way of identifying/understanding this... I enjoy the increased power but don't enjoy the overall presentation, so I think maybe you're right about a dedicated headphone amp doing this for me... I'm awaiting a Little Dot +1 at the moment, so maybe that will take care of it.  The Sherwood was an experiment that I don't regret (cost me $40 locally), but of course hoped for the best of all possible worlds... Y

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 6
What's interesting to me is that no distortion is introduced by turning up the volume without a signal, yet there's distortion with a signal, but of a very confounding nature... i.e. I'm trying to identify it by listening A/B with my D1 but maybe my ears aren't attuned enough... anyway, thanks again for the response, it was pretty much what I imagined (increased distortion that I couldn't identify by A/B comparisons), but had no way of explicitly naming

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Thanks for the response... I'm torn because I like the increased bass response of my receiver, which I attributed to increased current, but do find the receiver puts in some distortion (is less accessible to immediate detail), yet have no way of identifying/understanding this... I enjoy the increased power but don't enjoy the overall presentation, so I think maybe you're right about a dedicated headphone amp doing this for me... I'm awaiting a Little Dot +1 at the moment, so maybe that will take care of it.  The Sherwood was an experiment that I don't regret (cost me $40 locally), but of course hoped for the best of all possible worlds... Y

Here again, I think what you describe in terms of sound character is probably attributable to old-style carbon resistors directly in the signal path.  These days, their use adds a bit of "flavor" in tube amp circuits or SS DACs that need a bit of "personality."  However, in a receiver such as the Sherwood, they're probably filtering the full power of the speaker's discrete output amplifier circuit, so the affect is much, much greater. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back