Feel Like Playing - WWYD?
Feb 11, 2016 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

HeyWaj10

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm thinking of making use of one of the many generous return policies out there in the retail market, and get to play with a set of headphones and headphone amp, or DAC/amp combo, for 30-60 days. I have been without a headphone setup for the better part of two years (been kinda brutal), and would love to have a little fun with a setup for a brief time.  The wife isn't in an approving state of me dropping money on a permanent setup.

That being said, I'm looking to drop between $1,000-$1,500 for a pair of headphones (open-back preferred), a headphone amp (interested in a nice tube amp), or a DAC/amp combo.  My current budget/"get-by" DAC is a Nuforce uDac-2se, which is being utilized in my budget speaker system.  I'm thinking maybe some mid-upper level Grados, Audeze EL-8s, or the like. I'm wide open to headphone amp or DAC/amp suggestions.

Based on that, please feel free to share your thoughts, opinions, or suggestions of what I should consider. I've got an itch, and I intend on scratching it, damnit! 
gs1000.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 6
So I'm thinking of making use of one of the many generous return policies out there in the retail market, and get to play with a set of headphones and headphone amp, or DAC/amp combo, for 30-60 days. I have been without a headphone setup for the better part of two years (been kinda brutal), and would love to have a little fun with a setup for a brief time.  The wife isn't in an approving state of me dropping money on a permanent setup.

That being said, I'm looking to drop between $1,000-$1,500 for a pair of headphones (open-back preferred), a headphone amp (interested in a nice tube amp), or a DAC/amp combo.  My current budget/"get-by" DAC is a Nuforce uDac-2se, which is being utilized in my budget speaker system.  I'm thinking maybe some mid-upper level Grados, Audeze EL-8s, or the like. I'm wide open to headphone amp or DAC/amp suggestions.

Based on that, please feel free to share your thoughts, opinions, or suggestions of what I should consider. I've got an itch, and I intend on scratching it, damnit! :gs1000smile:  

No audiophile stores in Raleigh? Haha :D

Feb 14, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #3 of 6
Oh, there are. But I'm sure you can agree that there's a big difference between a couple hours listening to a setup vs. weeks of uninterrupted, dedicated listening time to get to know a setup through and through.

Feb 14, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyWaj10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Since you've already shortlisted the Audeze EL-8, get the Schiit Modi2 Uber, Schiit Vali2. Get flexible, short RCA cables for the DAC and amp.

Alternately, you can get the following (and taking your return policy requirement into account):
DAC : Schiit Modi or Bifrost
Amplifier : Schiit Asgard2 or Valhalla2
Headphone : HiFiMan HE400i or Sennheiser HD650

Feb 15, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 6
I'd probably take the el8 with the woo wa6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back