Feedback on Soldering Station
Nov 25, 2015 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

checha31

Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking at the New & Improved 2016 X-Tronic MODEL 5040-XR2 All In One Hot Air Rework Soldering Iron Station With Preheater.

I plan on using the same for quite a few DIY projects and plan on keeping it around.

The reviews on the previous version are quite favorable but I rather get some input from this community.

If not the above, do you have any suggestions/alternatives?

Thanks

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 7
If i were you i would get a nice namebrand iron like the new Hakko 888 and then use whatever budget you have left for a standalone rework station, or go with a combo and just use the iron as a secondary/backup. I had a cheap digital aoyue for a while, and it seemed ok, but a good iron just puts it to shame. Especially if you are going to be using it a lot.

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 7
No problemo. I am actually looking at getting a hot air station myself, i'll let you know if i find anything interesting!

Nov 26, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 7
  get a hakko 888 and never look back... i cant say enough good about it
im an extremely satisfied owner of a 808 and a 888.

I agree completely. I have an 888, it really is killer.

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #7 of 7
The Hakko 888 is a fantastic station for the money.

If you have a bit more to spend, I'm a big fan of the Metcal stations.  You can occasionally find a good deal on eBay.

The main advantage of getting one of the irons from the Hakko, Weller or Metcal is that replacement parts will be available for a long time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back