Feedback on portable amp upgrade
Jun 25, 2011 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

07eclipsegt

New Head-Fier
I recently getting into better headphones and picked up a Fiio E7 with LOD for iPod and am finding it is a little improvement over the HP out. I found the same with my Macbook pro when using it as a DAC. I use Shure SRH-840 and SE535 headphones. I am in the process of ordering a set of 1964ears Quads and am wondering if I would notice more of an improvement by going to an even better amp?

Amps I am looking are the Arrow 4g, TTVJ Slim, Pico Slim and ALO RX MkII. I am leaning more towards the thinner models as I like the ability to shove them in my pocket when needed. Would like to hear some feedback from others that may have tried the E7 and moved up to one of the other models.

Music wise I tend to listen to most all genres depending on mood. A good portion of the time I listen to rock mostly and prefer a warmer sound with good bass detail but not boomy.

Thanks for any help.

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 3
The ALO RX MKII willbe better pick if you want warmer bassiers sound signature but cable is important too and i will recommend ALO 18AWG SXC or Pure Cryo dock cable for best bass performance and overall warm, detailed sound. BTW E7+E9 is better sounding pair(powerful, detailed) for laptop use than E7 alone.

Jun 25, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 3
I have been looking at the the E9i and just use my iPhone or iPod for listening at home when using headphones. I am finding when using my laptop or Mini I usually use Airplay with my Denon amp. I like the ability even at home to just pick up and move to another room or outside if I want without having to change hardware.

Bass wise I don't need it to strong. On the E7 I usually find with the 840 I use no bass boost and with the SE535 I use a setting of 1.

I have been leaning to the Arrow 4g or TTVJ due to the size and price. With little chance to check out these items locally it can be a bit of a gamble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back