Feedback on Headphone Purchase
Apr 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

hvizuett

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am new to the site and I would like some feedback or suggestions on a pair of headphones that I should buy.  To start, I don't want to spend over $150 US Dollars on headphones.  I am needing a pair of headphones that are worn over the ears and that would physically block out noise.  In addition, I'm not interested in earphones or headphones that leak sound.  I would like a pair of headphones that would completely cover my ears and not leak any sound.  

I would be using these at a desk most of the time as I do a lot of reading and work for school.  I often have a hard time concentrating on my work or readings because of ambience noise, so I thought I should invest in a pair of headphones that would physically block out all the noise.  

I should also note here that I have looked at a couple of sites for ideas, such as CNET.com, consumersearch.com, headphone.com, and PCMag.com, but I am kind of at a loss. 

Having all this said, I want to invest in a really good pair of headphones that will get this job done.

Thanks to all for your attention and I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 12
Also, check out the Koss Pro/4AA. They block out noise, they keep music in, and they sound pretty good IMO. There is a slight lack of detail, I will admit, but nonetheless they seem to be a solid performer around $100. The only thing is that you said wanted a pair that covers your ears totally, these don't do that. But they do block noise, in and out. Just something to add to your list.

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 12
The Shure SRH440 do a nice job blocking noise. Add a pair of 840 pads if you need to increase comfort/isolation. 

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 12
Thank you everyone for your replies, I have been looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 & the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s.
One comes with a coiled cable, and the other one comes with a straight cable.  I don't know what a coiled cable or a straight cable is, in general, what all this means. 

I can't make up my mind and choose one of the two.

Could someone explain to me what their differences are?

Thanks Again.

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #7 of 12
Same headphone. Different cable. Coiled cable = what is used on wired telephones. Straight cable is obviously a straight cable, and a long one at that. Coiled is good if you think you're gonna be constantly tripping on a headphone's cable.

Most head-fiers don't care for coiled cables (neither do I). Straight cables look nicer.

The M50s are great headphones, though at their current price range, I'd opt for something better. I bought them when they were just under $100. For the $150+ that they cost now, just a few dollars more gets you some serious headphones.

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 12
Im going to go against the grain here and say Sennheiser HD 280 pro. The sound isolation is incredible - something like 32db of isolation if i remember correctly. The phones tilt and swivel - good for 1 ear listening or packing the phones up tight. They are primarily a DJ phone, so the sounds are pretty accurate, but has a little more of a bass punch. More still, they fit your budget :)

Apr 28, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Those are torture devices...
That clamp... scary.

Lol.

Yeah, the HD-280 Pro is something else. They isolate alot of noise, true. But their signature is strange, IMO. At first, I thought they were accurate and detailed, but then after hearing different headphones I began to feel differently. It's not that they're bad, they totally have their purposes, and if isolation is a key, then these are ones to look at. Although I prefer the Pro/4AA to these on both isolation and sound quality. The bass is there, and the low bass is totally there. But they're missing that midbass sound, I think, that people have a tendency to equate as bass. This is just my opinion, though. Also, the mids on these are strange sounding, I don't know, maybe it's just me. But it always sounded like they were 'small' if that makes sense. None of my other headphones sound like that.

Anyway, just my two cents on those cans.

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 12
The HD-280 Pro is very rolled off on the upper ranges of the frequency spectrum. This makes everything sound like an FM Smooth Jazz station. 
rolleyes.gif

The other characteristics that folks have stated is their ability to clamp onto your head like a vise grip. It gives me a headache about 15 mins into listening. Great for isolation when at work but the added necessity of needing an Advil for the headache isn't good for the body. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back