feedback noise coming from idol Monitor speakers (KRK Rokits Rp5)
Dec 14, 2018 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

shaun98makin

New Head-Fier
Hi, Just looking for some advice really. i have 2 KRK Rokit RP5's connected to my PC and it gives a constant feedback noise and i feel that the noise changes when the computers under load or if i move the mouse etc (it could just be in my imagination though). I'm wondering if anyone here knows what could cause this.

Note: if i use the exact same setup direct to my phone i get no feed back what so ever so im unsure if its an issue with my PC. Also my old stereo system did not have this issue with the same PC.

I'll list my setup below -

Krk rokit x2 connected with duel shielded RCA Cables direct to my PC

PC Spec - EVGA 850 Gold+ Fully modular PSU
RX 480 GPU
i7-6700k
16GB G.skill 2400Mhz Ram
2x 2TB HDD
1x 4TB HDD
1x 120gb SSD
1x 250GB M.2 Card

I also run this setup with my PC and Speakers and all other peripherals like HDD enclosures etc all using the same surge protector 12 Gang Extension Lead.

If anyone has any ideas at all please let me know. i've had these for nearly a year and a half and always just dealt with the static hum but its starting to really annoy me...

EDIT: I've just ordered a Small AMP to connect my speakers to, Not sure if this will effect anything in any way but its due to arrive tomorrow

Dec 14, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #2 of 6
Your PC's audio output is generating noise which the speakers are amplifying. You may be able to improve it with your existing setup by just setting your PC's volume to max, and controlling the volume from the speakers instead. Increasing the PC's volume increases the signal to noise ratio, meaning you'll hear less noise. If you were already doing this, then you would need a sound card, DAC, or audio interface which doesn't generate noise like your PC does.

It's often not convenient to use the speaker's volume control with studio monitors, so you might need a preamp with volume control also. The amp you ordered should work for this, but it has unnecessary circuitry which will add some noise and distortion, so technically a passive preamp would be better.

Dec 14, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 6
Your PC's audio output is generating noise which the speakers are amplifying. You may be able to improve it with your existing setup by just setting your PC's volume to max, and controlling the volume from the speakers instead. Increasing the PC's volume increases the signal to noise ratio, meaning you'll hear less noise. If you were already doing this, then you would need a sound card, DAC, or audio interface which doesn't generate noise like your PC does.

It's often not convenient to use the speaker's volume control with studio monitors, so you might need a preamp with volume control also. The amp you ordered should work for this, but it has unnecessary circuitry which will add some noise and distortion, so technically a passive preamp would be better.

Thanks for your reply. i have a soundcard that i use for my PC but it still makes noise. fingers crossed this amp helps it atleast.
and with the pc on max volume, this is how i usually work it but it still makes a pretty loud noise unless my speakers are set to the lowest volume on the units themselves.
just read on KRK's website that it could be due to me having my pc monitors etc plugged into the same circuit as the speakers. whats your opinion on that?

Heres the copy paste from KRK's website if thats any help.
Monitor hisses, hums or makes other loud noises.
  • Make sure that the power cord is plugged snugly into the IEC socket on the rear of the monitor.
  • Check the connections between the signal source and the monitor. Make sure all connections are secure and that the cable is not damaged or wired incorrectly.
  • If you are using an unbalanced output to balanced cable conversion, make sure it is correct. The shield is connected to the unbalanced ground of the source and pins 1 and 3 of the XLR (or the sleeve and ring on the ¼" TRS jack).
  • All audio equipment should use the same ground point. Check all other devices using the same AC output in the building like light dimmers, neon signs, TV screens, and computer monitors. These devices should not be using the same circuit.
  • Excessive hiss may be a result of an incorrect gain setting before the speaker connection. Verify the source signal is not noisy before connecting the monitors. This can be tested by connecting the signal source headphone outputs to a set of headphones.

Dec 15, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for your reply. i have a soundcard that i use for my PC but it still makes noise. fingers crossed this amp helps it atleast.
and with the pc on max volume, this is how i usually work it but it still makes a pretty loud noise unless my speakers are set to the lowest volume on the units themselves.
just read on KRK's website that it could be due to me having my pc monitors etc plugged into the same circuit as the speakers. whats your opinion on that?

Heres the copy paste from KRK's website if thats any help.
Monitor hisses, hums or makes other loud noises.
  • Make sure that the power cord is plugged snugly into the IEC socket on the rear of the monitor.
  • Check the connections between the signal source and the monitor. Make sure all connections are secure and that the cable is not damaged or wired incorrectly.
  • If you are using an unbalanced output to balanced cable conversion, make sure it is correct. The shield is connected to the unbalanced ground of the source and pins 1 and 3 of the XLR (or the sleeve and ring on the ¼" TRS jack).
  • All audio equipment should use the same ground point. Check all other devices using the same AC output in the building like light dimmers, neon signs, TV screens, and computer monitors. These devices should not be using the same circuit.
  • Excessive hiss may be a result of an incorrect gain setting before the speaker connection. Verify the source signal is not noisy before connecting the monitors. This can be tested by connecting the signal source headphone outputs to a set of headphones.
I'm guessing you have a feedback loop.
Try using separate surge protectors.
You could also trying using an optically connected DAC, between the PC and the KRKs
https://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/SPDIF-9018-DAC?sort=p.price&order=ASC

Dec 15, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #5 of 6
Dec 15, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 6
Hi, will a DAC affect the audio in any way? and also i tried having the speakers on there own surge protector with no luck. thanks for the help
I'm fairly sure the Hifimediy (optical) DAC will be a better DAC function, then whatever is built into the PC's on-board audio.
I'm hopeful that you will hear an improvement in audio quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back