Feedback Etiquette
May 15, 2006 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Genetic

Headphoneus Supremus
I have 2 questions about a personal experience in the Feedback forum.

I dont loose sleep about it but there it is. Recently I have completed 3 transactions and all of them were successfull. In fact they were perfect in all aspects until feedback time.

In all those deals I was the buyer and immediately after I got the items I wrote a feedback in the seller profile reflecting how well the deal went.

I know that even if I always PM thanks to the seller, and in that message I do clearly state that I have just write a positive feedback, I'm waiting probably in a childish way to have some sort of echo from that in my own profile. They aren't under no strict obligation to send the elevator back but...

It got to the point that I have contacted, politely, a member about his silence. Got no reply even after he read my message.

My questions to you are:

A) Since the deal is now completed, and again it went well, can I modified the feedback I wrote?

B) When I say «modified» I dont want to rewrite the past, again the transaction was perfect, but could I totaly erased what I wrote in the profile of the member who choose to ignore me?

On the up side
biggrin.gif
: if only my thread could remind any member, BTW I dont think about my situation, to get back an write a feedback that they have themselves forgot I think it could have a usefull purpose.

Amicalement

PS. Now the complete list of members who have forgotten me:

very_evil_smiley.gif
(Joking)

May 15, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #2 of 34
I do the same thing. After any transaction where I was the buyer I leave feedback as soon as the item arrives and everything checks out, PM them notifying about the arrival and the feedback left, and say thanks. Sort of a hint for them to do the same. Sometimes I even say "Please feel free to leave me some feedback too."
tongue.gif
When I am the seller, as soon as I recieve payment and it checks out (Paypal always does) I leave them positive feedback.

Never ran into that situation before. Are they frequent posters or more of the lurker, occasional seller type?

May 15, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 34
About 30% of my purchases received no feedback after a smooth transaction but I don't let it bother me much. I don't think the feedbacks should be held as ransom to get your own feedback like alot of sellers on E-bay tend to do. Some people, including heavy users of these boards, just don't leave feedback and while it might limit your overall feedback posts I think leaving a blank feedback in someone's thread might make people think that a bad transaction took place which is not the case.

May 15, 2006 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumanogin
Never ran into that situation before. Are they frequent posters or more of the lurker, occasional seller type?

He's not a new member. And I sincerely thought he just forgot until he did not respond to my PM. He probably hates my sense of humor...
biggrin.gif

(I even offered him to change my feedback post if he saw a problem with it
biggrin.gif
)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner
About 30% of my purchases received no feedback after a smooth transaction but I don't let it bother me much.

I think leaving a blank feedback in someone's thread might make people think that a bad transaction took place which is not the case.

3/10 are without a reply....this is pretty sad.

Your observation about the downside of a blank editing strategy is what I was afraid of. Seems too much like a weird kind of vengeance and in the end two wrongs makes it not right. I wont do it.

Life goes on.

Amicalement

May 15, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 34
I think the mere fact that it can be hard to find the feedback thread sometimes stops people updating it.

I like the forums where the trader rating is under the user name in each thread - makes it so easy.

My take on feedback is:

Buyer adds it first to confrm safe receipt & condition etc

Seller then responds knowing the money they received is now valid as the goods have been accepted.

What the seller may think of as good condition may not be the same as the buyer. And yes it can be an overly fussy buyer too, used goods are not always going to be 'pristine - still in box condition' !

Steve

May 15, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #7 of 34
i wonder how many non-newbies know about feedback-etiquette...there are probably many veterans of the forum that have not made any transactions so when they do, they may not know about feedbacks or think it's that important...perhaps a sticky could be posted about feedbacks? maybe there is one...i'll check once i post this...

May 15, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 34
I always politely ask for feedback in return. But its completely optional.

I have found that if you put your FB link in your sig, members are more likely to click it and submit comments without my even asking.

Garrett

May 15, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
My FB letter will always ask for feedback. I was taught as a salesman to always ask for the deal. Don't be shy. You are building a reputation that will endure.

Good points.

May 15, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 34
Now that I've built up a couple pages worth of feedback, I don't worry about not receiving one which has occurred once or twice. As others have said, it's an optional thing for the other part to do.

I do make it a habit of sending PM to the seller if the package has arrived satisfactorily and noting that I left feedback and would appreciate the same in return. Having said that, I did forget on one or two occasions to leave feedback and was reminded by the other party to do so.

If you've already sent PM about the issue and it has gone ignored, then just forget about it and move on. We all know who Genetic is and he's a trustworthy guy.
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #11 of 34
I've had literally over 100 people not leave feedback for me on eBay. Annoying at first, but theres really nothing I can do. Put my feedback in my headfi sig and haven't had a problem yet!

May 16, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #13 of 34
I put all my trades in my signature, however my Head-Fi feedback thread is indeed alot smaller than the list, it was only early on in my join period that no feedback was left, and some of the trades were deals from another forum (member present on this one as well) and deals not involved on Head-Fi but I still feel obliged to warrant for a person's positive transaction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back